Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass recommendations

Geejay

:)
Hi all,
On Basstalk I asked for thoughts about MIM Fender Jazz five string and have now decided to keep to four. I don't have a jazz at the moment but like slim necks and two pickups. I need a range of tones as I am in a functions big band and also do smaller stuff. Pedals could be an option.

I've seen good comments on the forums for Geddy Lee (with or without East upgrades) and also like the look of GB, SEI and Overwater. Max outlay must be below £1000 and preferably much less.

All suggestions gratefully received.

:huh: Edited by Geejay

Before you look at any J basses at the pricier end of your range play some of the Squire Vintage Modifieds. For around £200 they're excellent basses for the money. I bought one of the fretless ones as the next best J fretless IMO was the Fender Jaco Pastorius Sig at over £1k!

Check out the Ken Smith Design jazz basses [url="http://www.kensmithbasses.com/KSD/KSDdefault.htm"]http://www.kensmithbasses.com/KSD/KSDdefault.htm[/url]
They're distributed by Bernie Goodfellow, if you need any advice on them then give him a call, he really knows his stuff and he's a top notch bloke.

EDIT: Here's the link to the GB Basses site [url="http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/[/url]

Edited by thumbo

[quote name='Geejay' post='2264' date='May 19 2007, 04:07 PM']:)
Thanks for the advice.
I like the look of the Squires, anyone else out there with experience of them?

I have always had my eye on a Ken Smith as well. Any user comments?

Geejay[/quote]

There are a few of us with the Vintage Modifed Jazz's.

Mine came last week, and I love it to pieces, the neck is bloody fantastic, seems thinner than a normal jazz, fretwork is great on mine, whole thing is tightly built. In short, I got what I'd be expecting of around a £400-£500 of bass on a what was a £209 outlay.

If you look around enough you should come across some USA Deluxe jazz basses, for their price (Just over £1000 new, usually 2nd hands one go for £600 or so) they are exceptional, any tone under the sun and a twist on the standard jazz boths looks and feel wise and tone wise as well, that said, Lakland's are pretty much the same as well, it's just the classic case of trying them.

Edited by Josh

If you're ever going to go down the Fender route, I really would recommend buying one from a shop so that you can see how it plays before you buy it. The quality control of Fenders is dire in my experience so you could end up with an absolute lemon if you buy blind.

I really like the Geddy, IMO it's the best value jazz. I also like the American Jazz, I've a played a couple really good ones.

I played the 70's KSD I thought it was very nice, surprisingly powerful, tad overpriced but you might be able to find a good price for one.

I just bought Homer's Lakland Joe Osborn with J-Retro deluxe.
Very pleased with the feel of it- it's not a Sadowsky killer but I prefer it to the Fenders I've tried. The 35" scale makes it a different instrument altogether- a lot more taut.
If you could pick up a decent 2nd hand 4 string JO you would come out with a lot of change from 1K. A superior bass to the KSDs IMO.

[attachment=150:NewJo_1_perspex.jpg]

MB1. :)

ive got a mm jazz signature japanese,bound,maple,active,badass, sweet as a nut! just hold out for a nice second hand one ,and youll have plenty of change left for a few scoops!dont buy anything overpriced,american and s1 switched, and try before you buy whenever possible. theres a lot to see for £1000.take your time!!!

all the best

MB1.

[quote name='Geejay' post='2551' date='May 19 2007, 11:37 PM']Thanks everyone,
Really appreciate the advice. Any comments on Geddy Lee or Marcus Miller Jazz basses?[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=37&view=findpost&p=205"]I have a Geddy Lee and a Marcus Miler Jazz.[/url] and love them both. The Marcus is fast becoming my #1 bass purely because its so versatile. The finish is simply superb. Neck is nice and slim as with the Geddy.

If i [b]had[/b] to choose one or the other it would be the Marcus Miller.

I'd like to try a Modulus Jazz too at some point.

Nick

Having owned a Sandberg California JM4, I can say I haven't played a better bass for under £1000. Good tonal options with the jazz and MM pickup. Also, Delano pickups are definitely the way forward in my eyes, awesome sounding things. Best neck I have ever played on any instrument, the blackburst finish was stunning, very responsive eq and very very well built. I really cannot recommend them enough and I am gutted that I got rid of mine!

So in response to Chardbass, I would suggest that the Lakky would have more than a match on its hands with the Sandberg :)

[quote name='presoulnation' post='3431' date='May 21 2007, 10:14 AM']Having owned a Sandberg California JM4, I can say I haven't played a better bass for under £1000. Good tonal options with the jazz and MM pickup. Also, Delano pickups are definitely the way forward in my eyes, awesome sounding things. Best neck I have ever played on any instrument, the blackburst finish was stunning, very responsive eq and very very well built. I really cannot recommend them enough and I am gutted that I got rid of mine!

So in response to Chardbass, I would suggest that the Lakky would have more than a match on its hands with the Sandberg :)[/quote]

Thats the problem when you ask a forum questions like this - my opinion of Lakland Vs Sandberg is totally the oposite. Hated the Sandberg, loved the Lakky.

Thats down to personal preference.

Guess so :)

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it? I have heard others who have claimed not to get on with Sandberg. I certainly don't get on with their distribution company but thats a whole different story :huh:

It was a few years ago now, before I got the GB's made. My overall impression was it just felt heavy - the neck felt heavy and chunkier than the Lakland, but then millions of people love Warwicks so like I said its personal preference. I like slim necks. I also thought the humbucker over-powered the J pup so blending was limited.

I tried an S1 switched jazz in sound control and I really liked it. I actually thought the S1 made sense, unlike in the precision which seems to do not a lot, and made the jazz have 3 very different tones + all the other micro variations in between.

Personally, from what I've seen and heard a J-retro deluxe does seem the way to go

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='4168' date='May 22 2007, 09:00 AM']

These 2 are both good instruments.

Squier 70's VMJ

But very different. Try before you buy![/quote]

Both your basses are nice but I do like the look of that squier. Its a very good looking bass! Will have to try one out someday.