Why become a member? ×

Single or Multi

Hanson

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Muppet' post='35192' date='Jul 21 2007, 12:49 PM']I use the Toneworks AX3000B for my covers band where a number of different sounds are needed. I find that it is excellent. It is easy to use and easy to get the sound you are after. It's also pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.[/quote]

Hey
Yer im also a massive fan/user of that pedal. Some very good points here Muppet! Im also starting to encorporate singles in with it aswell and that works a charm, expecially when recording.

I would deffinitely recommend the KorgAX3000B. Its worth every penny and has so many strong FX.

You relaly couldnt go wrong with any of the top market pedals there though. Im personally not so fond of the Boss GT6-B but i really like the Line6BassPodXTLive.

Even though the Korg pedal is the cheapest out of those three, i still prefer it. I feel the layout and the workings of the pedal are much more efficient and more carefully thought out, atleast for the gigging bassist. Having said that, i wouldn't mind one of the Line6 pedals as aforementioned...

Edited by EskimoBassist

I use a BOSS GT6B and it is great if you have the kind of mind that will get off on the amount of work you have to put in to learning how to use it. It is far more versatile £ for £ than pedals because you'll get at least one of each of the main FX (more with the modelling) and you can play around quite happily with the FX chain and to so on to create your own wild and wonderful sounds.

It's not really plug and play though. Sure, you can plug it in and play with the pre-sets which is fun for a while, but you don't want to sound like anyone else who buys the same unit so you have to dig into the manual and create some patches of your own. It's not too hard to do if you follow the instruction manual. The biggest downside for me with multi-FX is that you need an encyclopedic knowledge of the unit's workings in order to be able to use it well live.

You can go through and program patches to your heart's content before you head off for the gig, but I've found that tweaking on the fly is not so easy. For some it will be, but I just don't have enough room in my head to remember exactly which series of button pushes I need to press before I can twiddle the depth on my chorus. I did a gig recently where simply because of the size and shape of the stage/room, two or three of my patches were wholly unusable because they had eq-ing which removed a little bit of the bottom end, but the venue was already taking a lot of that away. First song great, second song, "Where's all me bottom gone?"

For me, I'm going back to pedals for live use, just because snags like that can be sorted in about two seconds with pedals. However I am cringing at the costs involved compared to the multi-fx. GT6B was £150 second hand, gonna cost the best part of £500 to get pedals and board of sufficient quality to replace the effects I've been using from the GT6B, and even then I'll still be missing a lot more that could/would be usable down the line.

I will probably keep the GT6B just for home/rehearsal/recording use as given the time to make adjustments while having the manual on your lap, there's so much to play with.

On the TC Electronics G-Major... It's an eipc bit of kit. I had a weekend of playing about with one on appro a few years ago and loved the moises I was getting. Again though, manual referral needed to get the most out of it.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='43257' date='Aug 9 2007, 01:40 PM']You can go through and program patches to your heart's content before you head off for the gig, but I've found that tweaking on the fly is not so easy. For some it will be, but I just don't have enough room in my head to remember exactly which series of button pushes I need to press before I can twiddle the depth on my chorus. I did a gig recently where simply because of the size and shape of the stage/room, two or three of my patches were wholly unusable because they had eq-ing which removed a little bit of the bottom end, but the venue was already taking a lot of that away. First song great, second song, "Where's all me bottom gone?"[/quote]

That's the main reason why I moved away from multi-fx...

However, I might be going back to it for a certain application, and if I have to, I'll get the Line 6 POD xt Live because I already have a Line 6 Toneport so I understand the philosophy behind Line 6 modelling, and with that knowledge alone I can just look at the pedalboard and pretty much guess how things will work and what I'll have to press. Seems 100 times more intuitive than the Boss GT6-B...

The ME-50B though, is as easy as pedals, and the Korg seems fairly easy too. But having tried the former and played with a guitarist who used the latter, I just trust Line 6 better on the quality of models and general sound quality...

Agree with GT6 sentiments, great bit of kit but I just haven't the time to sit down and get the most out of it, plus it's far too fiddly. Live I usually end up using just a Boss limiter, in hindsight should have just bought a flanger and overdrive for what I need.

Is it just me that finds the GT-6B dead easy to program then? I had it nailed in an evening. Maybe I'm just dead clever...

I went from multi-pedals to the GT-6B - cheaper, more flexible and less faff. You do need a good knowledge of various sound terms to get the best from it though. Mini-review of the [url="http://www.quicksound.co.uk/comment/?p=6"]GT-6B here[/url].

• 2 weeks later...

If there's a line6 POD floating about with the manual, I'd advise that one. The manual is REALLY, REALLY good. By a long way the best manual I have ever recieved with anything I've bought. It's nicely written in a friendly, chatty but knowledgable way. It tells you a lot about how it works, the thinking behind it, and gives you some history of the pedals it's trying to emulate!

In fact, read it here:

[url="http://line6.com/data/l/0a0600728b7e46719c4e4de98/application/pdf/Bass%20PODxt%20Live%20User%20Manual%20(Rev%20B)%20-%20English.pdf"]http://line6.com/data/l/0a0600728b7e46719c...-%20English.pdf[/url]

Even if you don't get the pedal, the amp + pedal section is wonderfully fun to read!

Yes, I was impressed with the Pod manual. It's much easier to read as a 'hard copy' too. Some manuals are very technical and expect a level of understanding of terminology before opening the cover.