Why become a member? ×

Mega-bass funk tune - tribute to Wooten and Bailey

urb

Hey people

I got a on a serious funk tip the other day with Garage Band and I just finished it - it's a multi-part bass extravaganza with some silly overdubs and chops all in the name of making a fun tune which is all a bit OTT but hopefully grooving as well. The reason I've called this a little tribute to Wooten and Bailey is because they started the whole fretless vs fretted sound and it just reminds me of that - plus I dig some of their tunes as well. Anyway this is just a bit of funky fun and the end is just silly - so I hope you like the humour at work here and enjoy some of the playing too :)

'Flipouthefunk' - high-quality MP3
[url="http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=68864"]http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=68864[/url]

For those of you who don't like/use Quicktime it's the first tune on my Myspace page:
[url="http://www.myspace.com/flynnbass"]http://www.myspace.com/flynnbass[/url]

Thanks for listening

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='34573' date='Jul 20 2007, 12:25 PM']Thanks for listening

Mike[/quote]

One Shergold Marathon and an Eden Nemesis NC115 for sale. Well, OK I might keep them but only so long as you promise not to produce anything that good again. A seriously fun track to listen to. Infectious.

Incidentally, don't you find that GarageBand just invites you to dabble? It's just so quick and easy to get stuff done.

Thanks guys - this was great fun to record and it was a good learning experience as well - I want to do more stuff with unison lines and create stuff that really grooves, sounds good and actually conveys a 'vibe' regardless of the licks, technique - whatever - I'm pleased that comes across over any one particular 'noodle' - that was my intention.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='36078' date='Jul 23 2007, 07:40 PM']One Shergold Marathon and an Eden Nemesis NC115 for sale. Well, OK I might keep them but only so long as you promise not to produce anything that good again. A seriously fun track to listen to. Infectious.

Incidentally, don't you find that GarageBand just invites you to dabble? It's just so quick and easy to get stuff done.[/quote]

Regarding making stuff 'not as good' - I know you are kidding Shergold, but I want to aim a little higher next time I get recording. And yes Garage band is fantastically easy and fun to use - I did a lot of cutting and editing throughout this tune and it was down to the ease of use of GB that I was able to move things around and compose this thing as I went.

Anyway - enough said - really glad you lot are enjoying it - more good bass vibes on the way...thanks for checking it out.

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='bassjamm' post='35912' date='Jul 23 2007, 01:58 PM']Very cool my friend...that got my head nodding and my hips jiggling...very nice indeed!!! Got to hook up some time man![/quote]

Thanks

I'd be happy to hang out - let me know when you have some free time in London - I'm only local, well Brixton based - drop me a PM if you are about.

M

[quote name='urb' post='36171' date='Jul 23 2007, 10:41 PM']Thanks

I'd be happy to hang out - let me know when you have some free time in London - I'm only local, well Brixton based - drop me a PM if you are about.

M[/quote]

Will do mate!!! I'm down there a little more often at the moment, hoping to come down for Janek's lessons at the Institute on Aug 9th!

Trying to get some more gigs down in London for my funk/jazz band, do you know of any venues that put on this kind of music and pay a half decent rate? (as in enough to cover our fuel from Lincolnshire and a bit for the back pocket :) )

Thanks
Jamie