Why become a member? ×

Nottingham bass bash - THIS SATURDAY 28th

budget bassist

Thanks for organising, BB. It was a good day, and nice to put a few faces to names.

I think the star of the show had to be that blue effects unit (BigRedX's) - everyone literally stopped what they were doing once that drum beat kicked in! :)

Thankfully, I didn't get the Rickenbacker GAS attack that now seems to be going round...

[quote name='rbatts2000' post='421934' date='Feb 28 2009, 08:08 PM']I think the star of the show had to be that blue effects unit (BigRedX's) - everyone literally stopped what they were doing once that drum beat kicked in! :)[/quote]
Hah, yeah, that thing was cool!
Also, like you said, someone should have brought a guitar, could have had a bit of a jam out!

[quote name='simon1964' post='421810' date='Feb 28 2009, 05:19 PM']Really enjoyed it. Some lovely basses - but i know have GAS for a Ric![/quote]

It's a Wood & Tronics for me - loved playing that...

[quote name='simon1964' post='421810' date='Feb 28 2009, 05:19 PM']Thanks for organising it Sam. Looking forward to the next one![/quote]

Seconded. I think I'll bring a lightweight combo next time though. :)

I have now been back for around half an hour.

Got Ric GAS now too...

Good to put faces to names, and it was nice having a play on other stuff for once!

I'll upload the piccies I took onto photobucket and stick em on here in a min.

Edit - Ok, I shan't as BB has already done the same pictures effectively, and in a somewhat better quality.

Edited by Starvolt

I too had a great time :) Even including the bump on the noggin. What a way to introduce myself to fellow BC'ers!

Great job BB! Nice venue, nice chilled atmosphere, not too loud, got to try some nice gear, but mostly just chatting to like-minded bassists was a real joy. It was nice to meet you all!

tauzero, it was nice to meet you and mrs. tauzero again. I'm semi-pleased my bass has caused some GAS :rolleyes: I apologise for causing it though.

Mark

Cheers Sam for the organising and thanks Simon for the strings... :) BigRedX's Born To Rock F4B was the most original bass I have seen since I first picked up a Travis Bean way back when. Surprising nice to play once I stopped plucking the strings the wrong side of the bridge....!!!

Great to meet you all and thanks for the words of encouragement. I had an excellent chilled afternoon see you all again soon I hope.

Seeing as the basses have been covered here are a few "people" pictures. They are in black and white as that carpet was giving me a headache... :rolleyes:

Paul

well done to BB for organising it all, i was really interested to try so many instruments I've not tried before such as the upright Stagg DB and also the black Rick (Kev's? thanks anyway), and Prosebass's custom bass which was amazingly comfortable. We should do it again, and I might bring an amp with me this time. Good choice of venue

Amazingly, considering it was a small meeting, there were TWO jetglo ric 4003's. Mine was the one with the PU cover removed, the one with PU cover still in place was GazM's. Mine just seemed to do the rounds a bit more. I had a quick go on Gaz's and they are pretty much indistinguishable but I realised why I had the PU cover off mine within a week of buying it!

Hi guys, what a great afternoon. Really enjoyed playing some delicious basses. Loved the Ricky, but for me it's either the $$ or the Stingray. Both played beautifully and sounded fantastic. Loved the 7 string to look at, but I find 4 hard enough to cope with. Glad I went though. Looking forward to the next one. Maybe without the stairs and the vicious doors, eh?

Good pictures. No flash makes for better images, especially when it means you don’t realise they’re being taken.

[quote name='KevB' post='422287' date='Mar 1 2009, 11:46 AM']Amazingly, considering it was a small meeting, there were TWO jetglo ric 4003's. Mine was the one with the PU cover removed, the one with PU cover still in place was GazM's. Mine just seemed to do the rounds a bit more. I had a quick go on Gaz's and they are pretty much indistinguishable but I realised why I had the PU cover off mine within a week of buying it![/quote]
I don't think i played yours, but i can see what you mean, Gazm's was really hard to play for me because i like to play over the bridge pickup.

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='422336' date='Mar 1 2009, 01:00 PM']Hi guys, what a great afternoon. Really enjoyed playing some delicious basses. Loved the Ricky, but for me it's either the $$ or the Stingray. Both played beautifully and sounded fantastic. Loved the 7 string to look at, but I find 4 hard enough to cope with. Glad I went though. Looking forward to the next one. Maybe without the stairs and the vicious doors, eh?[/quote]
Thanks mate, your precision was stunning in person! Really stunning combination, wish i'd played it!

Edited by budget bassist

Someone has lost a cradle off a guitar stand - it was at the bottom of the stairs. I picked it up, but it's not off one of my stands. However, I have lost a cradle off one of my stands too which is presumably at the Grosvenor somewhere.

So, has anyone discovered a bit of stand missing? Or did anyone else pick up a bit of stand?

[quote name='mcgraham' post='422006' date='Feb 28 2009, 09:47 PM']tauzero, it was nice to meet you and mrs. tauzero again. I'm semi-pleased my bass has caused some GAS :) I apologise for causing it though.[/quote]
Nice to see you again too. I think I'll be able to keep the GAS under control for a while, anyway. I just have to try and forget that Mark has a 5-string Spectrum in at Bass Direct (although not being able to afford it is one quite effective preventative measure). And I'm not at all unhappy with the Tsai, it's just that that W&T was the nicest 5-string I've played.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='422914' date='Mar 2 2009, 09:34 AM']Nice pics gents, would it be possible to put a few usernames to faces at all? :)[/quote]

I was wondering who the fat bald bloke playing the wood n tronics in the second pic was. Then I realised it was me......

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='423017' date='Mar 2 2009, 11:24 AM']This one is of me with a Jazz having my knob twiddled...oo err missus

[/quote]
That's me on the left, demonstrating that wearing black makes you look fat. Mrs Zero is visible in small portions behind me.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='421833' date='Feb 28 2009, 06:11 PM'][/quote]
Those are three of the Tsais and the two Warwicks. Behind them are the "lightweight" DR250 with perched on it an Eden head and my Superfly.

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='423017' date='Mar 2 2009, 11:24 AM']This one is of me with a Jazz having my knob twiddled...oo err missus

[/quote]

I'm the one twiddling his knob :)

Actually, its my knob I'm twiddling, Andy was playing with it at the time :rolleyes:

Pete.