Why become a member? ×

Mid-to-late 90's Encores

Sibob

My Project P-bass is an Encore, but certainly to my eyes and hands and good solid quality one, it was my first ever bass back in the mid 90's, am i right in thinking that when encore started, they were actually quite a respected brand? I know its an older one because the headstock is pretty much a duplicate of the Fender headstock, whereas now they're not.

Anyway, to the point!
I just want to know if people think that generic replacement necks, like those from allparts will be a good fit at the neck joint? Were all those copies generic sizes?

I've put up a post in the wanted section for a maple jazz neck, but if the sizes are all skew-whiff, then my other option is to have Mike at Bass Merchant apply a new fretboard onto the existing neck (which is fine quality wise) so its a good fit. They would be around the same price!

Cheers
Si

Edited by Sibob

Indeed, mine is really solid feeling and well made! Tight neck pocket!!

As you can see, the headstock is pretty much a direct Fender Copy, as opposed to the newer Encore ones

Heres some pics, obviously its had a number of mods since i first got it many years ago :)
1. Custom built Unlined Maple fretless fingerboard (added by my uncle)
2. Bartolini P Pickup (Passive at the moment)
3. Original scratchplate but with added black chequers. May replace soon for something a bit more tasteful!
4. Black Barrel Knobs
5. I sanded the name off the headstock when i was a kid cos i didn't like the idea it was cheap! Oh how we learn...
6. ...at the same time i coated the whole of the inside cavity with tin foil, my young attempt at shielding, pretty good though!

Si

Edited by Sibob

Mines not to heavy, maybe a tiny bit heavier then my USA Jazzes, but theres not way this neck feels like a toy, nice and smooth, solid. I think i may got a rare good one! :)
I want it to be fretted, but am reluctant to change the neck, i would prefer to just refret this fingerboard!, or have a fretted fingerboard built!

Si

Sibob...

This might sound like an obvious suggestion but make it I will.....

Take your neck out and measure it at the socket end.... then email Allparts and ask them what the std jazz neck diemensions are for thir necks.

They are usually quite accomodating and IIRC somewhere on thier site they have like a blueprint drawing of one of thier necks.

:)

Cheers Burpster!
I actually emailed JHS (the Encore distributor now) and asked about older encores, and he just said that most replacement necks should fit, but i might have to apply "judicious trimming and/or shimmying".

So yeah i'll give it a measure and talk to allparts, they have a really nice Maple and Bound/Block inlays Jazz Neck for £200

Mmmm, nice

Si

I bought a mid-90s Encore neck on the Bay a while back. Fitted it to an old Marlin body that previously had a Squier neck. It was tight (I think the Encore neck is a coat-of-paint bigger than a Squier/Fender one) but it worked. And then I made this out of them.

My first bass was number 184 (from what i remember) of 185, 1994-1995 limited edition, it was an ash p bass with a red tort pickguard. Lovely playing bass, actually far too good for the money.

I donated it to my niece to learn on a few months ago.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='41406' date='Aug 4 2007, 09:30 PM']Dangerboy, that metal plating looks cool! Did it weigh a ton? Looks like a Precision after being assimilated by the Borg!

Resistance is futile![/quote]

It's only 0.3mm aluminium, so not so heavy. Gets more comments than any other bass I play, so it was worth it. Mashed my fingers more times than I can count putting all the nails in, though...

[quote name='Mikey D' post='41436' date='Aug 4 2007, 11:45 PM']My first bass was number 184 (from what i remember) of 185, 1994-1995 limited edition, it was an ash p bass with a red tort pickguard. Lovely playing bass, actually far too good for the money.

I donated it to my niece to learn on a few months ago.[/quote]

I have a 1994 Ltd edition Encore p-bass 068 of 300 sounds similar

[quote name='dangerboy' post='41400' date='Aug 4 2007, 09:17 PM']I bought a mid-90s Encore neck on the Bay a while back. Fitted it to an old Marlin body that previously had a Squier neck. It was tight (I think the Encore neck is a coat-of-paint bigger than a Squier/Fender one) but it worked. And then I made this out of them.[/quote]
Very punk - cool!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='woolleydick' post='44033' date='Aug 10 2007, 11:01 PM']I have a 1994 Ltd edition Encore p-bass 068 of 300 sounds similar[/quote]

Ah, from what i remember it looks a bit like one of sting's basses. Honestly, I wouldn't mind having it back to play on, one of the best fours I have ever tried and it's a bloody encore!

[quote name='Mikey D' post='48941' date='Aug 22 2007, 02:37 PM']Ah, from what i remember it looks a bit like one of sting's basses. Honestly, I wouldn't mind having it back to play on, one of the best fours I have ever tried and it's a bloody encore![/quote]

Mine looks like this

[attachment=1896:encore_bass.jpg]

[attachment=1897:encore_neck_plate.jpg]

[quote name='dangerboy' post='41400' date='Aug 4 2007, 09:17 PM']I bought a mid-90s Encore neck on the Bay a while back. Fitted it to an old Marlin body that previously had a Squier neck. It was tight (I think the Encore neck is a coat-of-paint bigger than a Squier/Fender one) but it worked. And then I made this out of them.[/quote]

Isn't that taking shielding a little bit too far? :)

Edited by Sharkfinger