Why become a member? ×

EBS HD350/TD650

Geoff

I would have a TD650 again, tomorrow if one turned up. I changed mine for a Little Mark II for the added portability, but I'd rather carry the extra weight to have the sound of a TD650. I hd a Fafner also, but I thought the TD650 was a bit more versatile, Fafner is nice though

T

[quote name='Nick80' post='347926' date='Dec 7 2008, 03:44 PM']I own a td650 and gladly put up with the weight - it is absolutely fantastic, wouldn't change it for anything. Well worth the kidney and other vital organs I had to sell in order to get it.[/quote]

Jeez! It's not as if it's that heavy!

[quote name='lee650' post='347426' date='Dec 6 2008, 06:59 PM']I had an EBS TD650 for quite a while, and it is the best amp ive ever used and i miss it greatly, it is more than loud enough for any situation soundwise the HD350 is very similar, but the valve in the 650 just gives it a lot more warmth and guts, it has a great tube overdrive which i think will be right up your alley, but trust me try it with a Proline 4x10 youll never be buried in the mix again :huh: it is a very heavy rig to cart about so i hope you dont do too many upstairs gigs, the weight was the reasoin i had to get rid of it, asi only play in theatres and it used to scare woodwind players hee hee :) .
Highly recommended quality gear, ive never tried a fafner but i heard they are a lot warmer with a very tubey sound, so trying one of those would be a good idea.
Good luck with the search- lee[/quote]

I may upgrade to one of the Proline cabs, as i've heard many good things about them. Im using an Ampeg 410HLE at the moment, so im hoping it'll sound good through that.

[quote name='Geoff' post='348029' date='Dec 7 2008, 06:43 PM']I may upgrade to one of the Proline cabs, as i've heard many good things about them. Im using an Ampeg 410HLE at the moment, so im hoping it'll sound good through that.[/quote]

If it's got a horn it should be fine.

[quote name='Josh' post='348042' date='Dec 7 2008, 07:07 PM']If it's got a horn it should be fine.[/quote]

Yeah it has.

Just noticed you're using a TD650 and 2x 2x10's. If I was looking at a more portable rig for practise, could I safely run the TD650 through 1 2x10?

[quote name='Geoff' post='348070' date='Dec 7 2008, 07:47 PM']Yeah it has.

Just noticed you're using a TD650 and 2x 2x10's. If I was looking at a more portable rig for practise, could I safely run the TD650 through 1 2x10?[/quote]

Depending on how loud you guys practice I would say yes, but just make sure your not over doing it but if I could use both every time I would, but that's more of a tonal preference.

If the 2x10 is 4 ohms your still getting 450 watts, plenty of power, and some 2x10,s can be quite punchy, i actully used it once with one accugroove tri 1x10 running at 8 ohms so i was only getting 260 watts it managed only just but with the twoaccugrooves at 4 ohms loud as hell, but the natural sound means you dont have to be poud to cut through, never had the pleasure of running it at 2 ohms for the full 650 watts, Josh has though bet you can hear him on the isle of wight :huh:
the ampeg will probably sound great too
ditto about the weight being worth it, if i didnt need abit of cash to pay stamp on my new house(which was abolished 3 weeks later :) ) i wouldnt have got rid of mine- lee

Just noticed you're using a TD650 and 2x 2x10's. If I was looking at a more portable rig for practise, could I safely run the TD650 through 1 2x10?

Edited by lee650

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lee650' post='348138' date='Dec 7 2008, 09:31 PM']..snip
Just noticed you're using a TD650 and 2x 2x10's. If I was looking at a more portable rig for practise, could I safely run the TD650 through 1 2x10?[/quote]
Yes. If it starts making farty noises turn it down or reduce the bass eq.

So, the TD650 arrived yesterday. All I can say is that this amp is bloody loud and bloody heavy. I havent had too long to mess around on it yet, but from the small amount of tweaking I did Im thoroughly impressed. With eq set flat this amp sounds amazing. Such a punchy but warm sound and then I can just kick in the drive for a hint of distortion.

Cant wait to get out of work and mess around properly tonight!

[quote name='Geoff' post='361806' date='Dec 23 2008, 11:20 AM']So, the TD650 arrived yesterday. All I can say is that this amp is bloody loud and bloody heavy.I havent had too long to mess[/quote]

What is up with you guys? Are you all nancy boys or something? This amp isn't heavy!?

• Like 1

[quote name='Geoff' post='361806' date='Dec 23 2008, 11:20 AM']So, the TD650 arrived yesterday. All I can say is that this amp is bloody loud and bloody heavy.[/quote]

I don't know why everyone thinks their bloody heavy, try most of Ampegs bigger heads for weight and less impressive tone as well. If anything, to me the 650 weighs the same as 2 Eden WT 550's.

Edited by Josh

I think many of us have simply been spoilt by the lightweight micro amps of late, so anything we thought was reasonable weightwise several years back seems a little heavy. Both the 350 and 650 are fantastic amps.
Looking forward to seeing the new EBS mini amp that is rumoured to be due 2009.

• 3 months later...

I'm back in the fold!

Picked up a TD650 last week, like the return of an old friend, I prefer the clartiy of these amps to almost everything I've tried.
I was going to chnage the pre in my Sei jazz, but the EBS has shown a side of it I didn't know it had, probably still going to put a J-retro in there though!

Tony