Why become a member? ×

EBS HD350/TD650

Geoff

After months of looking for a new amp I think I have my heart set on some EBS gear. The only thing im really not sure of is if the HD350 will be loud enough. I have heard some reviews saying that the TD650 is not much louder than the 350 and as it is a lot more expensive it would seem a bit pointless. Im just looking for some user reviews on the EBS amp range and want to know if these amps would be loud enough. Im always getting drowned out in band practise so i'm needing a louder amp. Live isnt as much of an issue as everythings through the PA anyway.

So yes, thoughts please!

Lots of people imagine there will be a big difference in volume between a 350 watt amp and a 650 watt amp. There wont. The relationship between volume and power is exponential and to double the volume you need 10 times the watts.

But you are still better off with more watts as it will give a little bit more volume but also headroom so the amp will respond better to the dynamics of your playing. The TD650 also has a tube and is just that little bit better; the switches are bigger and have lights so you can see what you have got on. Manys the time when I knocked the tone defeat on my HD350 and wondered why it didn't seem to make any difference when I fiddled about :wub:

I have a TD650, I ran it at 8ohms through an ampeg 4x10 and it never went up to half way on the master volume. I now run it through a DrBass 2460 at 4ohms and it has even more potential. I think the HD350 would be plenty loud enough, unless you are playing stadiums? Remember you can run them at 2ohms, might get the sack if I try it though!!!

Oh and they go up to 11; that's one louder!

Cheers

Charla

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='340687' date='Nov 29 2008, 06:39 PM']I've done gigs with both. Both will give you what you need... I prefer the TD650 just for that extra headroom and the fact that the buttons light up - as Ferret points out.[/quote]

Totally agree! i could'nt believe my ears when i tried some ebs stuff at Bernie Goodfellow's work shop, i immediateley sold my Ashdown gear and got the td650 with 4x10 and 1x15 neo cabs. Best set up i've ever had, and also the best bass sound in the studio when i DI it!

James.

Edited by durandassi

[quote name='durandassi' post='341484' date='Nov 30 2008, 10:32 PM']Totally agree! i could'nt believe my ears when i tried some ebs stuff at Bernie Goodfellow's work shop, i immediateley sold my Ashdown gear and got the td650 with 4x10 and 1x15 neo cabs. Best set up i've ever had, and also the best bass sound in the studio when i DI it!

James.[/quote]

It's a dangerous place isn't it?

The HD350's and TD650's haven't got too much between them, if I couldn't of afforded my TD650 I would've gone for the HD350 no question. I run mine through 2 EBS Proline 2x10's and it is plenty loud enough for me when I turn it to 2, having the extra power really does come in handy.

Thanks for the replies people. I may go for the 650 then as it makes sense to have that extra headroom. I would like to get the Fafner, but I dont think I could justify spending out on one (or could I?? haha)

Can anyone recommend any decent shops that sell EBS amps? I know the Basscentre does, but I couldnt see the 650 on their list.

[quote name='Geoff' post='341797' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:21 PM']Thanks for the replies people. I may go for the 650 then as it makes sense to have that extra headroom. I would like to get the Fafner, but I dont think I could justify spending out on one (or could I?? haha)

Can anyone recommend any decent shops that sell EBS amps? I know the Basscentre does, but I couldnt see the 650 on their list.[/quote]

The Fafner is cheaper than the TD650 (not by much but hey).

01273 220055 - Call Bernie himself (GB Guitars and EBS UK) and he'll sort you out the best deal.

just noticed you play blackened thrash- get a Fafner! simple and tube drive perfect for a metal tone plus the viking runes fit the black metal aesthetic.

Fafner is what the bassist from In Flames uses, I know they are more Gothenburg than Black Thrash but it gives you the idea of a Fafner in a metal context.

[quote name='simondee' post='341921' date='Dec 1 2008, 02:08 PM']I'm in a thrash band too.

This thread has been *extremely* helpful.

Only trouble is i've not seen many secondhand fafner's about and I don't think I can justify a new one![/quote]

I saw you played at the Met lounge a couple of weeks back. Whats the name of your band man? You finding shows easy enough to get? Weve hit a bit of a wall trying to get shows January onwards.

[quote name='Geoff' post='342911' date='Dec 2 2008, 12:22 PM']I saw you played at the Met lounge a couple of weeks back. Whats the name of your band man? You finding shows easy enough to get? Weve hit a bit of a wall trying to get shows January onwards.[/quote]

We're called the Quarry. We're mates with Shaun from the Ruined so he hooked us up with that show.

Not tried booking anything for next year yet because we've got to find a new guitarist first. Which band are you in?

[quote name='simondee' post='344065' date='Dec 3 2008, 01:39 PM']We're called the Quarry. We're mates with Shaun from the Ruined so he hooked us up with that show.

Not tried booking anything for next year yet because we've got to find a new guitarist first. Which band are you in?[/quote]

Ah right! Yeah I was at that show. I know the Coach Calhoun guys, so was watching them. You guys were good!

Im in a band called Middenhelm. Havent gigged for a couple of months as were training up a drummer and new keyboardist, so were hoping to get out there towards the end of January. Im proper itching to gig now though.

I had an EBS TD650 for quite a while, and it is the best amp ive ever used and i miss it greatly, it is more than loud enough for any situation soundwise the HD350 is very similar, but the valve in the 650 just gives it a lot more warmth and guts, it has a great tube overdrive which i think will be right up your alley, but trust me try it with a Proline 4x10 youll never be buried in the mix again :huh: it is a very heavy rig to cart about so i hope you dont do too many upstairs gigs, the weight was the reasoin i had to get rid of it, asi only play in theatres and it used to scare woodwind players hee hee :) .
Highly recommended quality gear, ive never tried a fafner but i heard they are a lot warmer with a very tubey sound, so trying one of those would be a good idea.
Good luck with the search- lee