Why become a member? ×

bass central

slemm

[quote name='slemm' post='35344' date='Jul 21 2007, 07:15 PM']has anyone had any dealing with this american shop Bass Central[/quote]

Hey Slemm.

I've ordered from them before. They actually got my order wrong and sent me the wrong (but similar) item. They then sent the one I ordered and let me keep the one they sent first (that was two cases for the price of one!!!)

DaN

My Warwick Thumb Jack Bruce sig fretless came from Bass Central - a completely hassle-free purchase.

Bass Central's Beaver Felton gave me my first bit of fretless playing advice too, when I mentioned that it would be my first experience of playting fretless. He told me, 'At all times, Dave, [i]think [/i][b]fretless[/b]'

Priceless.

David

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='35352' date='Jul 21 2007, 07:27 PM']Tonyf ordered his Modulus Flea from them and I understand he rates them very highly.[/quote]

Steve's right, I do indeed think they're the dog's nads of bass retailer.

After a couple of emails, I spoke to Beaver Felton and ordered my Flea on a monday night and they UPS'd it to me by the thursday afternoon. I'd be pretty impressed with that level of service from a UK or European retailer but for an order to sent 4000 odd miles across the atlantic is simply breathtaking.

Brilliant guys, incredibly knowledgable and great prices. With the pound sooooo strong against the dollar at the moment, even by the time you build in import taxes and delivery, there's still amazing deals to be had.

HTH
T

Been to the shop a couple of times and a real pleasure to deal with.
I recently enquired about a new left handed MM Sterling as I'm starting to miss the one I sold a while back. Beaver quoted less than £600 for a new one in stock including case which is pretty good taking into account shipping and VAT on top. Unfortunately its Ernie Balls policy not to allow their outlets to sell direct abroad but it gives you an idea of the kind of savings to be had compared to buying in the UK

[quote name='cockbongo' post='35934' date='Jul 23 2007, 02:45 PM']While we're on the subject actually, i'm thinking about ordering from the US as well. For those here that have done it, what are the import tax/custom implications?
Thanks in advance[/quote]

I'm no expert but the import duty is roughly equivilent to the VAT duty. Have a google for some rough and ready calculators that'll give you a ballpark figure to work to. In terms of payment, it's usually collected by the courier on delivery as in the case of UPS but don't quote me for other carriers.

I've order lots of "small" stuff (like strings and pickups etc) from the states and got away with no charges as the items are generally standard post and not parcels. However, in the case of a large item like a bass which is couriered thru customs, there's almost always duty to pay. Still, with the pound being so strong against the dollar, even with the duty it still almost always means a fabulous deal.

Hope this helps.

T

[quote name='tonyf' post='36404' date='Jul 24 2007, 03:16 PM']I'm no expert but the import duty is roughly equivilent to the VAT duty. Have a google for some rough and ready calculators that'll give you a ballpark figure to work to. In terms of payment, it's usually collected by the courier on delivery as in the case of UPS but don't quote me for other carriers.

I've order lots of "small" stuff (like strings and pickups etc) from the states and got away with no charges as the items are generally standard post and not parcels. However, in the case of a large item like a bass which is couriered thru customs, there's almost always duty to pay. Still, with the pound being so strong against the dollar, even with the duty it still almost always means a fabulous deal.

Hope this helps.

T[/quote]

Thanks a lot mate - i'll wait until the house purchase has gone through otherwise the better half will go spare....

Is is true that some makes of instrument cannot be bought from abroad though?

[quote name='bnt' post='38649' date='Jul 29 2007, 10:00 PM']They don't ship Ernie Balls outside the US... so does that mean I can't have that MM Bongo, Teal Pearl w/ Moonstone pickguard, then? Dang...[/quote]
They can if they're second hand. :)