Why become a member? ×

Helping with balance

NancyJohnson

As some of you know, I play a Waterstone 12-string bass once in a while. It's a rough Les Paul shape and I suffer from a bit of neck dive. The strap point is on the side of the body about an inch north of the neck joint.

I'm curious...does anyone know of a bracket that can be retro-fitted (screwed!) into the neck-position strap point that could extend the strap button position towards a more Jazz/Precision friendly position? I'm sure Steinberger had a bracket like this.

Cheers

P
x

I remember someone on ebay was selling an 8 or 12 string bass that sounded similar in shape to yours. They had screwed a long metal tube into where the neck position strap button lives (several inches into the body), which extended the position of the button a few inches further towards the headstock. I believe this sorted the balance out nicely, even if it did look a bit weird.
It's probably cheap and fast to implement as well, once you've got the parts together.

I hope this helps.