Why become a member? ×

My FX Chain

Aussiephoenix

Hey guys,

I'm going back to pedals after owning a gt6b for a while, and I'd like to get your input on how best to setup my fx chain.

Also, Im pretty sure some of these pedals arent true bypass, so I'd appreciate some ideas on how best to minimise the tone sap... amp FX loop? FX Loop Box (such as a wobo,etc?) how would you set it up?

These are the pedals:

EBS Multicomp (compressor)
MXR M80+ DI (preamp/Distortion)
Boss CE-2B Bass Chorus
Ibanez Tonelok PH-7 (Phaser)
DOD fx25 (Env. Filter)
DOD (fx94?) Sampler/Delay

Behringer BEQ700 (EQ) <- Unsure if it'll be in the fx chain...

The amp is a Mark Bass Little Mark F-Series (got an fx loop too)

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='35817' date='Jul 23 2007, 10:25 AM']Hey guys,

I'm going back to pedals after owning a gt6b for a while, and I'd like to get your input on how best to setup my fx chain.

Also, Im pretty sure some of these pedals arent true bypass, so I'd appreciate some ideas on how best to minimise the tone sap... amp FX loop? FX Loop Box (such as a wobo,etc?) how would you set it up?

These are the pedals:

EBS Multicomp (compressor)
MXR M80+ DI (preamp/Distortion)
Boss CE-2B Bass Chorus
DOD fx25 (Env. Filter)

Behringer BEQ700 (EQ) <- Unsure if it'll be in the fx chain...

The amp is a Mark Bass Little Mark F-Series (got an fx loop too)[/quote]

You need to keep the following out of the signal path:

DOD fx25 (Env. Filter)
Behringer BEQ700 (EQ)

You also shouldn't put them in the FX loop. They would be best in the loop of the WOBO. The CE-2B has a decent bypass, but it also a buffer. It's handly to have ti in your chain all the tim to drive the long cable run to your amp.

Hope this helps, any q's ask away :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='35820' date='Jul 23 2007, 10:37 AM']You need to keep the following out of the signal path:

DOD fx25 (Env. Filter)
Behringer BEQ700 (EQ)

You also shouldn't put them in the FX loop. They would be best in the loop of the WOBO. The CE-2B has a decent bypass, but it also a buffer. It's handly to have ti in your chain all the tim to drive the long cable run to your amp.

Hope this helps, any q's ask away :)[/quote]

Hmmm... so, looking at the whole thing, would you set it up like:

Bass -> Amp

Amp Fx Send -> Multicomp -> MXR M80+ -> WOBO Looper -> CE-2B -> Amp FX Return

WOBO Fx Send -> fx25 -> PH7 -> fx94 -> WOBO Fx Return

?

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='35835' date='Jul 23 2007, 11:05 AM']Hmmm... so, looking at the whole thing, would you set it up like:

Bass -> Amp

?[/quote]

Unless you're using the M-80 for distortion place it after the wobo so that you can DI all your effects

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='35835' date='Jul 23 2007, 11:05 AM']Hmmm... so, looking at the whole thing, would you set it up like:

Bass -> Amp

?[/quote]

I wouldn't personally bother using the amp's fx loop. I also wouldn't have the compressor before the envelope filter.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='35909' date='Jul 23 2007, 01:55 PM']I wouldn't personally bother using the amp's fx loop. I also wouldn't have the compressor before the envelope filter.[/quote]

Y not?

wouldnt the env filter have a better signal to process that way?

what advantage is there in having the compressor after the env?

Toasted, looking back at it, you did explain it well...
I am curious though... why shouldnt I put pedals in the fx loop? whats the difference between pedals and rack gear that would make rack gear more suited for the fx loop? (say a G-Major or something like that...)

Edited by Aussiephoenix

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='35929' date='Jul 23 2007, 02:40 PM']Y not?

wouldnt the env filter have a better signal to process that way?

what advantage is there in having the compressor after the env?
Toasted, looking back at it, you did explain it well...
I am curious though... why shouldnt I put pedals in the fx loop? whats the difference between pedals and rack gear that would make rack gear more suited for the fx loop? (say a G-Major or something like that...)[/quote]

It's to much signal for most pedal is the main thing it's a much much much hotter signal that striaght out of your bass so it would probably overload most of the pedals and make them sound awful.

Having an EV Filter before a compressor means you are feeding it a bigger signal and then the compressor is protecting your amp from the huge peak that may occur while using an EV Filter.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='35935' date='Jul 23 2007, 02:48 PM']It's to much signal for most pedal is the main thing it's a much much much hotter signal that striaght out of your bass so it would probably overload most of the pedals and make them sound awful.

Having an EV Filter before a compressor means you are feeding it a bigger signal and then the compressor is protecting your amp from the huge peak that may occur while using an EV Filter.[/quote]

Yup. Also, an envelope filter works by reading the natural dymanics of your playing so having it after the compressor (which is made to reduce dynamics) may make it completely redundant and sound very weak.

Ahhh, I get it, thanks for the explanation guys, it makes sense to have the env before the comp after all.

I didnt know that the signal in the fx loop was hotter... strange, most guitarrists defend that their pedal chains sound better in the fx loop than between guitar and amp...

Edited by Aussiephoenix

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='35945' date='Jul 23 2007, 03:12 PM']Ahhh, I get it, thanks for the explanation guys, it makes sense to have the env before the comp after all.

I didnt know that the signal in the fx loop was hotter... strange, most guitarrists defend that their pedal chains sound better in the fx loop than between guitar and amp...[/quote]

Any sentance that starts with I'm a guitarist and I think........ can generally be ignored

[quote name='Toasted' post='35820' date='Jul 23 2007, 10:37 AM']The CE-2B has a decent bypass, but it also a buffer. It's handly to have ti in your chain all the tim to drive the long cable run to your amp.

Hope this helps, any q's ask away :)[/quote]

Should I place the ce-2b before or after the wobo?

A buffer means that the pedal outputs a "strong" signal all the time. This "strong signal" powers your instrument signal down the cables to your amp. If you're using pedals, you're not necessarily doing the right thing by them all being "true" bypass.

Thanks.