Why become a member? ×

Fingerstyle or Plec? Or both?

MB1

Learned using a pick but after a couple of years I switched to fingerstyle and ever since have tended to avoid using a pick unless I absolutely have to.

I just prefer the fingersytyle sound, feel more involved with the instrument using my fingers and I don't miss the hassle of constantly dropping or losing picks.

Guest Bald Eagle

Like the majority I say depends on the song and attack required, Thin Lizzy for example can't be played fingers or rather doesn't sound the same, I saw a band once and the bassist had a thumb type pick wore like a ring he could turn it round when needed to use it it looked really convenient I've not seen one since anyone know about them or where you get them or was I just imaging thats what it was :)

[quote name='Bald Eagle' post='36131' date='Jul 23 2007, 09:25 PM']Like the majority I say depends on the song and attack required, Thin Lizzy for example can't be played fingers or rather doesn't sound the same, [color="#FF0000"]I saw a band once and the bassist had a thumb type pick wore like a ring he could turn it round when needed to use it it looked really convenient I've not seen one since anyone know about them or where you get them or was I just imaging thats what it was :unsure[/color]:[/quote]

Was it anything like a standard thumbpick?: [url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/picks&cat=6"]picks[/url]
If you scroll down a little there's a few different finger & thumb picks.

Or was it something 'out of this world' that you witnessed?

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='36155' date='Jul 23 2007, 10:15 PM']Was it anything like a standard thumbpick?: [url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/picks&cat=6"]picks[/url]
If you scroll down a little there's a few different finger & thumb picks.

Or was it something 'out of this world' that you witnessed?[/quote]

Thats it! No.9501 I think! You don't see (or I haven't seen) many bass players using them though, wonder if you can get really thick ones for bassists :)

[quote name='ARGH' post='36057' date='Jul 24 2007, 03:22 AM']Either... Im just as good with each.[/quote]

Ahh the modesty of it all. Good to see you back ARGH :)

I'm mostly a fingers player but I'm learning to use a pick after 29 years of playing, after I made a list last year of my 10 favourite players and realised that 8 were pick players.

The Allen Woody Rumblekat does suit a pick I gotta say.

Edited by Freuds_Cat

[quote name='Freuds_Cat' post='37123' date='Jul 26 2007, 04:12 AM']Ahh the modesty of it all. Good to see you back ARGH :)
I'm mostly a fingers player but I'm learning to use a pick after 29 years of playing, after I made a list last year of my 10 favourite players and realised that 8 were pick players.

The Allen Woody Rumblekat does suit a pick I gotta say.[/quote]

Is this the guy that passed away that used to play for GOVT MULE.

Both here, probably about 70% fingers and 30% other techniques (pick/slap/etc). I'll use whatever gets the job done to get the tone and feel I want in a song. Having good pick technique is just another tool in your arsenal, another set of tones with another set of possibilities.