Why become a member? ×

Fingerstyle or Plec? Or both?

MB1

Fingers, but some of my bands old back catalogue really need a pick. Fast punk just doesn't sound right with fingers, plus its a nightmare to keep up.

I get really bad wrist ache whenever I play with a pick though. My technique must need work.

I use both... use fingerstyle primarily live, but I've used a pick in the studio several times because even though I hate to admit it (I argued like hell over this till I heard the evidence), playing bass with a pick sits in the mix far better on some songs recorded than using fingers :)

About 70 / 30 pick / fingers. Used to be all pick. With a pick playing 70's / 80's rock & originals, like the ease of muting strings with the flat of hand, and versatility of having muted and unmuted in same song.

I always learn new material playing fingerstyle, but about 20% of the set I play with a pick because the sound suits the song better.

Every once in a while I'll play a rehearsal either all fingerstyle or all pick (or both; one after the other), just to make sure I can play all of our stuff with both.

There does seem to be a resurgence of pick players, certainly from other bands I've gigged alongside anyway.
There did used to be a lot of 'anti-plectrum' sentiments within the bass community, or so I found.

Choosing one style [i]verbatim [/i]over another just limits your palette of sounds. Or so I reckon.

Edited by Hit&Run

Always fingerstyle,

I just feel im more in control, i have a big dampening technique goin on in my right hand, whihc ive worked really hard on, so to go to a pick now would be a waste of all them practice sessions refining my technique.

Ads
p.s, anyone found that some/most fingerstyle only guys are really snobbery to ppl who use a pick?/ i'm not one of em each to their own

[quote name='Adam' post='36023' date='Jul 23 2007, 05:59 PM']Always fingerstyle,

I just feel im more in control, i have a big dampening technique goin on in my right hand, whihc ive worked really hard on, so to go to a pick now would be a waste of all them practice sessions refining my technique.

Ads
p.s, anyone found that some/most fingerstyle only guys are really snobbery to ppl who use a pick?/ i'm not one of em each to their own[/quote]

MB1. :) I can play both, but like yourself,i feel more in control with fingerstyle. As for posh?.........i dont think she can sing at all!