Why become a member? ×

Promo Packs

elom

We've been contacted by a bookings agency that have a Young Farmers do in 6 weeks but no band. We can do it and they are desperate so a deal is in the offing. The money is 4 times what we get playing pubs and this could be a good break for us.

They want us to get a promo pack to them. I didn't want to seem like a small-time pub band to them (but you already know that we are!). One question, what exactly goes in a promo pack then?

I'm in a similar sort of boat at the moment, and -- knowing as much as you -- I figured photo, DVD of gig or CD of tracks and a short CV with contact details.

I'd keep everything short and sweet. I imagine they only want a taster.

Cheers

Mark

You'll be wanting a biography (pad it out as much as possible, big yourselves up as they say!), a gigs list, a photo and a demo. The bio should mention any positive reviews, or even just comments from reputable sources, like a local promoter. Hope that helps!

[quote name='RussFM' post='36095' date='Jul 23 2007, 08:11 PM']You'll be wanting a biography (pad it out as much as possible, big yourselves up as they say!), a gigs list, a photo and a demo. The bio should mention any positive reviews, or even just comments from reputable sources, like a local promoter. Hope that helps![/quote]
There you are -- he knows :)

Thanks, Russ. Seems my guess wasn't up to much ...

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='misrule' post='36108' date='Jul 23 2007, 08:27 PM']Seems my guess wasn't up to much ...[/quote]

Didn't see much difference between your post and his. Both pretty much covered it all.

Demo CD - 3 songs (best first)
Biog - 3-5 paragraphs. Don't go overboard.
Photo
Fact Sheet - places you've played, people you've shared the bill with, reviews, personnel etc.
Misc. - the DVD idea sounds cool

Edited by The Funk

Be warned: if you're sending a DVD, make sure it's the best possible quality. Professional quality. Not a clip from a camcorder, locked off in the corner of a pub. It will say "amateur band" faster than you can get to the chorus of the first song on it!

For a pub band, keep it simple. I send:

1. Demo CD - good quality and well mixed with contact details on. Best song first. 3 or 4 track tops. Print the label if you can using your computer (you can buy sticky CD labels from Smiths)
2. Letter saying hello - again with contact details on
3. Setlist
4. Business card (again you can buy template card from Smiths and get great results with a home printer)

If you've got a band logo - print that on everything. Looks good.

I'm going to start including a flyer with our upcoming gigs on (makes you look busy and in demand) and a photo.

Bottom line, you're better off leaving stuff out of the envelope unless it looks slick.

To give you some idea, my band Groove Cartel have got into venues like The Jazz Cafe (Camden) and The Yardbird (Birmingham) from sending out our demo/promoback. This would include a covering letter, the Demo, a business card, and a biog. We actually got into the Yardbird from sending off a link to our myspace page!

In my functions band, we inlude a biog of the band, a demo, links to websites, and packages available (background music in between sets, different forms of the line-up, etc). You don't need tonnes of pics, just get some half decent one's of you guys!

Jam