Why become a member? ×

Bass Goodness at Tesco

P-T-P

[quote name='paul, the' post='37764' date='Jul 27 2007, 12:23 PM']I personally wasn't interested in Motown until I learned Gladys Knight & the Pips' version of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine." It took a while to adapt to the unfamiliar rhythm, but once I got it, I was hooked. Then finding out how elusive Jamerson's tone is was the icing on the cake.

If you can read, and I can find the track on the 'net, I'll scan in the first page for you and you can have a go if you want.

I'll understand if you tell me to f*** off.

paul.[/quote]

I Wouldn't do that it's rude :huh:

Nah you can post it if you like. I have my hands full learning tother things at present mind :)

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='36703' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:22 AM']LOL...still don't like it though[/quote]

I'm on the "Not a big fan of Motown" bandwagon too, although I can certainly appreciate it once in a while it's not exactly on my regular listening list :)

[quote name='Hutton' post='36716' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:56 AM']Even if you don't like Motown which is of course your right, I am sure that you would appreciate the bass playing of James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt. They are well worth a listen[b] if you can blot out the rest of the song[/b]![/quote]

At your service, sir!
Here are links to three mp3s of James Jamerson at work, isolated from the rest of the instruments. Educational stuff!

[i][b][color="#FF0000"]Folks...
Please DOWNLOAD the files, don't play them off my server - I'll get into trouble with my ISP.
Windows: right-click the link and select "Save target as..."
Mac: Ctrl-click and select "Download linked file"
Thanks,
Ken[/color][/b][/i]

[url="http://www.steamingaudio.myzen.co.uk/basschat/wgo.mp3"]What's Goin' On? (Marvin Gaye)[/url]

[url="http://www.steamingaudio.myzen.co.uk/basschat/standing.mp3"]Standing In The Shadows Of Love (Four Tops)[/url]

[url="http://www.steamingaudio.myzen.co.uk/basschat/reachout.mp3"]Reach Out, I'll Be There (Four Tops)[/url]

BTW: both of these tracks have a looong silence at the start, because he doesn't come in for several bars. Be patient.... It's worth it! :)

Edited by Oxblood

[quote name='Oxblood' post='38076' date='Jul 28 2007, 10:42 AM']At your service, sir!
Here are links to a couple of mp3s of James Jamerson at work, isolated from the rest of the instruments. Educational stuff![/quote]
I found these too and used them to learn a couple of Jamerson bass lines. Now here's a concept the record labels should latch on to. I'd buy the entire Elvis Costello back catalogue if the pesky drums, guitar keys and vocals were taken out of the mix. What a great tool to examine the basslines and learn 'em! (Not that I don't love the songs - I do - but I find it so hard to pick out the nuance of a complex bassline when bass is always so criminally low in the mix)

[quote name='Oxblood' post='38084' date='Jul 28 2007, 11:01 AM']Agreed, stew. I'm with you all the way on Bruce Thomas, too. Bloody genius. And then there's Norman Watt-Roy..... The Blockheads would have been SO much less of a rhythm machine without him.[/quote]
Yep, NWR and Bruce Thomas the first names that spring to mind when people ask me to name my favourite bass players.

[quote name='Oxblood' post='38076' date='Jul 28 2007, 10:42 AM']At your service, sir!
Here are links to three mp3s of James Jamerson at work, isolated from the rest of the instruments. Educational stuff!

[i][b][color="#FF0000"]Folks...
Please DOWNLOAD the files, don't play them off my server - I'll get into trouble with my ISP.
Windows: right-click the link and select "Save target as..."
Mac: Ctrl-click and select "Download linked file"
Thanks,[/quote]

tried that, got just 200 byte files... which when examined in a text editor had this:

[code]<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &#34;-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN&#34;>
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>404 Not Found</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Not Found</H1>
The requested URL /reachout.mp3 was not found on this server.<P>
</BODY></HTML>[/code]

<HTML><HEAD>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Not Found</H1>
The requested URL /standing.mp3 was not found on this server.<P>
</BODY></HTML>[/code]

<HTML><HEAD>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Not Found</H1>
The requested URL /wgo.mp3 was not found on this server.<P>
</BODY></HTML>[/code]

[quote name='Paul Cooke' date='Jul 28 2007, 01:25 PM' post='38131']
tried that, got just 200 byte files... which when examined in a text editor had this:

Try [url="http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-112.html"]here[/url]

I can't claim the credit for that. If you go to [url="http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-112.html"]the link that stewblack provided[/url], you'll reach the website of a bassist called Rick Suchow. I believe he did the isolation. The only way it could have been achieved, to the best of my knowledge, would be if Motown were recording in multi-track originally - or at least laying down the bass on its own track.

[quote name='Oxblood' post='38345' date='Jul 29 2007, 06:30 AM']I can't claim the credit for that. If you go to [url="http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-112.html"]the link that stewblack provided[/url], you'll reach the website of a bassist called Rick Suchow. I believe he did the isolation. The only way it could have been achieved, to the best of my knowledge, would be if Motown were recording in multi-track originally - or at least laying down the bass on its own track.[/quote]

Standing in the Shadows has some isolated parts. The tone makes me melt.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='36766' date='Jul 25 2007, 10:59 AM']I have to say because Motown / soul etc is not my bag, I haven't really heard them.

These guys are obviously your heroes and inspired you to pick up the bass. I have different heroes Mick Karn, Peter Hook,JJ Brunel, Andy Rourke, etc. but I appreciate other genres such as Percy Jones, Bernard Edwards, Larry Graham. No doubting these guys were awsome it's just not my thing. I'm sure James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt were geniuses but I just don't get the whole Motown / Philly sound thing' just as I can see why people would hate The Smiths because of Morissey but Rourke / Marr are just amazing musicians.[/quote]

I know where you're coming from, my background's pretty much same as yours.
However, in recent years I have started to appreciate more & more of the old soul & motown classics.
Joy Division (Hook) were definitely influenced by Northern Soul, especally the rhythms. Andy Rourke (Smiths) was also a soul boy, & well into funk. Japan (Mick Karn) covered Smokey Robinson's 'Second that Emotion'.
Even, Mani of Primal Scream's favourite alltime bassplayer is James Jamerson.

Why not give Motown a second listen?
I did, & found some real gems. :)

[quote name='paul, the' post='39621' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:19 PM']My Aunt hates jazz. I call her the Northern Nazi.[/quote]

What? All of it?
I bet she likes Let there be love by Nat king Cole or The Shape of Things To Come by Ornette Coleman or Knda Blue by Miles Davis or Wonderful World by Sachmo' or Jumpin' jive by Joe Jackson or Louis Joran or the Koln Concert by Keith Jarret
:)

[quote name='OldGit' post='39630' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:31 PM']What? All of it?
I bet she likes Let there be love by Nat king Cole or The Shape of Things To Come by Ornette Coleman or Knda Blue by Miles Davis or Wonderful World by Sachmo' or Jumpin' jive by Joe Jackson or Louis Joran or the Koln Concert by Keith Jarret
:)[/quote]

Recently a mate of mine spent an unproductive hour down the bar trying to convince anyone who'd listen that he detests all hip hop and rap music.
"What all of it?"
"Yep."
"Even that overwhelmingly enormous part of the genre to which you have yet to be exposed?"
"Huh?"
" I mean you hate music you haven't even heard yet?"
"Yep"
"But that's impossible"
"Nope, if it's hip hop I hate it"

Needless to say more knowledgeable people than myself cleverly spent the rest of the evening dropping artists who fit comfortably into the hip hop genre into the conversation ,most of whom he professed a liking for.

[quote name='stewblack' post='39661' date='Jul 31 2007, 06:39 PM']Recently a mate of mine spent an unproductive hour down the bar trying to convince anyone who'd listen that he detests all hip hop and rap music.
"What all of it?"
"Yep."
"Even that overwhelmingly enormous part of the genre to which you have yet to be exposed?"
"Huh?"
" I mean you hate music you haven't even heard yet?"
"Yep"
"But that's impossible"
"Nope, if it's hip hop I hate it"

Needless to say more knowledgeable people than myself cleverly spent the rest of the evening dropping artists who fit comfortably into the hip hop genre into the conversation ,most of whom he professed a liking for.[/quote]

'Tis the ol' "boxes" problem. Things have to be in neat categories for some people ..