Why become a member? ×

Bass Goodness at Tesco

P-T-P

Just picked the following up from my local Tesco...

Marvin Gaye Gold - Double CD all the hits and loads more besides
James Brown Gold - As above but Mr. Brown
Jamiroquai - High Times: Singles 1992-2006

All of them for £5 each.

Even if they're not really your thing musically (and there's only so much of JB and Jam I can listen to) you kinda owe it to yourself as a bass player to broaden your horizons when it's that cheap.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='36416' date='Jul 24 2007, 03:44 PM']Just picked the following up from my local Tesco...

Marvin Gaye Gold - Double CD all the hits and loads more besides
James Brown Gold - As above but Mr. Brown
Jamiroquai - High Times: Singles 1992-2006

All of them for £5 each.

Even if they're not really your thing musically (and there's only so much of JB and Jam I can listen to) you kinda owe it to yourself as a bass player to broaden your horizons when it's that cheap.[/quote]
Cheers for the heads up. Marvin Gaye I can see being worth listening to, James Brown needs to shut up screeching and sing occasionally apart from that as you say excellent bass stuff, but Jamiroquai? Spare me please, I couldn't stand one track of that mind numbing, soulless, ball less lift music. Each to their own of course, just my humble opinion.

[quote name='stewblack' post='36446' date='Jul 24 2007, 04:32 PM']Cheers for the heads up. Marvin Gaye I can see being worth listening to, James Brown needs to shut up screeching and sing occasionally apart from that as you say excellent bass stuff, but Jamiroquai? Spare me please, I couldn't stand one track of that mind numbing, soulless, ball less lift music. Each to their own of course, just my humble opinion.[/quote]

Yeah, know what you mean on the Jamiroquai front, but can't deny that there's some delicious bass playing on there.

[quote name='stewblack' post='36446' date='Jul 24 2007, 04:32 PM']Cheers for the heads up. Marvin Gaye I can see being worth listening to, James Brown needs to shut up screeching and sing occasionally apart from that as you say excellent bass stuff, but Jamiroquai? Spare me please, I couldn't stand one track of that mind numbing, soulless, ball less lift music. Each to their own of course, just my humble opinion.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Doubt James Brown(The godfather of Funk)is gonna be doing much more screeching?

[quote name='paul, the' post='36475' date='Jul 24 2007, 05:22 PM']That put me in a bad mood for Christmas. I know he was a bit of a knob, but the music was good.[/quote]

MB1. :) Definately not good with the ladies, but responsible for putting some great bass players/musicians on stage.

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='36534' date='Jul 24 2007, 07:39 PM']misleading thread title... I was thinking that Tesco had started carrying instruments in their stores and that it was time for the local music shops to give up and just roll over and go out of business...[/quote]

Phew had me going too, i'm relieved they're not into that 'yet' as I'm fast running out of excuses not to go to those bloody places as it is, mind you the Mrs would pee herself at the club points on a Fender or three, :)

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='36703' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:22 AM']LOL...still don't like it though[/quote]

Even if you don't like Motown which is of course your right, I am sure that you would appreciate the bass playing of James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt. They are well worth a listen if you can blot out the rest of the song!

[quote name='Hutton' post='36716' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:56 AM']Even if you don't like Motown which is of course your right, I am sure that you would appreciate the bass playing of James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt. They are well worth a listen if you can blot out the rest of the song![/quote]
It's an interesting one this. I often site Bruce Thomas as my favourite bassist but if I hadn't loved the Attractions would I have listened long or closely enough to discover him? The bassist from the Smiths might be an absolute genius but I'll never know 'cos I'll never listen to their stuff long enough to find out. Yes what I've heard of Jamerson sounds spot on for the music he was playing with, perfect compliment of rhythm and melody but as the music is sometimes great (to my ears) and sometimes awful I don't rave about him as others do. Surely a great bass line to a great song will excite us more than a great bass line to a Phil Collins song?

[quote name='Hutton' post='36716' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:56 AM']Even if you don't like Motown which is of course your right, I am sure that you would appreciate the bass playing of James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt. They are well worth a listen if you can blot out the rest of the song![/quote]

I have to say because Motown / soul etc is not my bag, I haven't really heard them.

These guys are obviously your heroes and inspired you to pick up the bass. I have different heroes Mick Karn, Peter Hook,JJ Brunel, Andy Rourke, etc. but I appreciate other genres such as Percy Jones, Bernard Edwards, Larry Graham. No doubting these guys were awsome it's just not my thing. I'm sure James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt were geniuses but I just don't get the whole Motown / Philly sound thing' just as I can see why people would hate The Smiths because of Morissey but Rourke / Marr are just amazing musicians.

Edited by bass_in_ya_face

[quote name='stewblack' post='36731' date='Jul 25 2007, 09:34 AM']It's an interesting one this. I often site Bruce Thomas as my favourite bassist but if I hadn't loved the Attractions would I have listened long or closely enough to discover him? The bassist from the Smiths might be an absolute genius but I'll never know 'cos I'll never listen to their stuff long enough to find out. Yes what I've heard of Jamerson sounds spot on for the music he was playing with, perfect compliment of rhythm and melody but as the music is sometimes great (to my ears) and sometimes awful I don't rave about him as others do. Surely a great bass line to a great song will excite us more than a great bass line to a Phil Collins song?[/quote]

MB1. :)

Bruce Thomas.... +1....Another underestimated bassist.

Bruce Thomas - great.
Pump It Up - Very good
I've only discovered Motown in my advanced years. Didn't really enjoy it the first time round although it was good singalong stuff. Appreciate the bass now. Often appreciate the bass on other styles I don't really like. It's amazing how often the bass player will put a familiar bass style into what seems an odd genre but it works.
Tesco do sell instruments online btw. Sadly no bass but they do a Squier Strat and a Fender drumkit! Used to do a good range of acoustic guitars and other instruments too.

Geejay

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='36766' date='Jul 25 2007, 10:59 AM']I have to say because Motown / soul etc is not my bag, I haven't really heard them.

These guys are obviously your heroes and inspired you to pick up the bass. I have different heroes Mick Karn, Peter Hook,JJ Brunel, Andy Rourke, etc. but I appreciate other genres such as Percy Jones, Bernard Edwards, Larry Graham. No doubting these guys were awsome it's just not my thing. I'm sure James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt were geniuses but I just don't get the whole Motown / Philly sound thing' just as I can see why people would hate The Smiths because of Morissey but Rourke / Marr are just amazing musicians.[/quote]

I personally wasn't interested in Motown until I learned Gladys Knight & the Pips' version of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine." It took a while to adapt to the unfamiliar rhythm, but once I got it, I was hooked. Then finding out how elusive Jamerson's tone is was the icing on the cake.

If you can read, and I can find the track on the 'net, I'll scan in the first page for you and you can have a go if you want.

I'll understand if you tell me to f*** off.

paul.