Why become a member? ×

Bluetooth Bass?

obbm

With the proliferation of Bluetooth enabled products that support the A2DP protocol it would appear that it should be possible to put together a simple and cheap in-ear monitoring system. I recently managed to obtain a couple of Sony Bluetooth bits.

A pair of DR-BT10CX stereo headphones

and a TMR-BT10 Portable Stereo Transmitter

Transmitter has 3.5mm stereo jack and connects to any headphone output.

Both rechargeable, both very small. Once paired they work faultlessly over a distance of about 20 feet.

With a PC or an iPod I thought the quality was excellent and it handled a direct feed of a bass with ease. My mind immediately leapt to the idea of a Blutooth enabled bass so you could Bluetooth send to the amp and Bluetooth receive from a monitor system. Alternatively you could pair the headphones with the bass for practice. All technically possible.

There is however one big snag, and it is a big one. The digital processing puts in so much latent delay between plucking and hearing that playing becomes impossible unless you like playing a long way ahead of the beat. Pity. I quite fancied a Bluetooth enabled badge on my basses.

Edited by obbm

very interesting. used in conjunction with a pod you should be able to cut the latency, or are we talking several seconds here?

funnily enough i saw the thread topic and thought you were after a cheapo in ear set... i was about to say can't you pop into yer shed and rustle up something! i should have known!

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='36451' date='Jul 24 2007, 04:37 PM']Dave: do you mean that for a double conversion - bass to amp, then amp to ears - the delay is too long, or that even in a single conversion - amp to ears - that it is too long? Simply because a cheap in-ears system would be brilliant even for a start.[/quote]

Dave single conversion. Bass to mixer to earphones and it's much too long. Trying to play along with a drum machine or a disc is impossible. Shame.

ped - I don't think even a pod can give negative delay. You are asking for the string to sound before you've plucked it.

Edit - opinion on the web gives the audio delay through the system as 1/2 a second.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' post='36484' date='Jul 24 2007, 05:45 PM']Edit - opinion on the web gives the audio delay through the system as 1/2 a second.[/quote]

Should be fine, me and my drummer are rarely that close...

• 3 months later...

[quote name='obbm' post='36484' date='Jul 24 2007, 04:45 PM']Dave single conversion. Bass to mixer to earphones and it's much too long. Trying to play along with a drum machine or a disc is impossible. Shame.

ped - I don't think even a pod can give negative delay. You are asking for the string to sound before you've plucked it.

Edit - opinion on the web gives the audio delay through the system as 1/2 a second.[/quote]

Been there done it bought the bluetooth thingys. See post in talkbass sometime ago. The data rate is not good enough.....
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4056795#post4056795"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...795#post4056795[/url]

What is curious is that these things are normally in the computer gamester's arena.... don't the fingers, the audio and the visuals need to sync CRUCIALLY in video games?

I look forward to a higher spec implementation of Bluetooth.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='87979' date='Nov 13 2007, 05:46 PM']Been there done it bought the bluetooth thingys. See post in talkbass sometime ago. The data rate is not good enough.....
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4056795#post4056795"][url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...795#post4056795"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...795#post4056795[/url][/url]

What is curious is that these things are normally in the computer gamester's arena.... don't the fingers, the audio and the visuals need to sync CRUCIALLY in video games?

I look forward to a higher spec implementation of Bluetooth.[/quote]

I regret to say that any form of compression introduces delay. Just have Freeview and Analogue Terrestrial TV on together. Live TV will be a thing of the past when analogue switch-off happens because it will always be delayed.

Long live analogue.

[quote name='obbm' post='87985' date='Nov 13 2007, 05:51 PM']I regret to say that any form of compression introduces delay. Just have Freeview and Analogue Terrestrial TV on together. Live TV will be a thing of the past when analogue switch-off happens because it will always be delayed.

Long live analogue.[/quote]

Yeah it was wierd last World Cup. You could hear shouts of "goal" in the neighbourhood and then my digital TV showed that the ball went in.....

Well we are in the digital age and the analogue dinosaurs will get less and less. I can hear a delay in my wireless though most of the believers will tell you there is no latency.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='88060' date='Nov 13 2007, 08:16 PM']Yeah it was wierd last World Cup. You could hear shouts of "goal" in the neighbourhood and then my digital TV showed that the ball went in.....

Well we are in the digital age and the analogue dinosaurs will get less and less. I can hear a delay in my wireless though most of the believers will tell you there is no latency.[/quote]

Just remember digital is not always better.

If you are talking of cheap in ear monitors then a long while back before we got the proper bits my vocalist tried using a cheapish FM transmitter he got from the US in conjunction with a walkman sized FM radio & earphones. It wasn't the greatest, but I suppose one might try something similar with the little FM transmitter packs you can get nowadays to feed an iPod into your car stereo if you do not have a dedicated link in the car? Mind you I don't suppose that would work much better, but you never know.