Why become a member? ×

Mesa vs Gallien Krueger cabs - quick help needed please!

Kubickiboy

Has anybody got/tried a Mesa Walkbout 1x15 4 ohm extension cab? I've got a choice between that and a GK RBX 4x10 8ohm cab.

I have a GK 400RBHIII 2x10 combo and an Ashdown Superfly 500 head to match up with them.

Help!! I've only got a day to make a choice.

Do I match the Ashdown with the Mesa and have a lightweight mini stack and a combo to back up? Or do I get stacking and go with the GK cab, and use the Ashdown head with it for smaller gigs.....

A quick response would be much, much appreciated. Cheers! :)

[quote name='Kubickiboy' post='36536' date='Jul 24 2007, 07:42 PM']Has anybody got/tried a Mesa Walkbout 1x15 4 ohm extension cab? I've got a choice between that and a GK RBX 4x10 8ohm cab.

I have a GK 400RBHIII 2x10 combo and an Ashdown Superfly 500 head to match up with them.

Help!! I've only got a day to make a choice.

Do I match the Ashdown with the Mesa and have a lightweight mini stack and a combo to back up? Or do I get stacking and go with the GK cab, and use the Ashdown head with it for smaller gigs.....

A quick response would be much, much appreciated. Cheers! :)[/quote]

Mesa cabs are excellent. That would be my choice.

That avatar brings back memories of the natural Kubicki I had in the '90's. Probably the most playable bass I've owned. The necks are fantastic, just couldn't quite get the tone out of it that I was after. Great basses though...

excuse my ramblings

[quote name='Bass_Junkie' post='41733' date='Aug 5 2007, 11:35 PM']i have that combo except its the RB-IV not RB-III

does the RBX series work well with that combo?[/quote]
It's great. Gigged the full rig the other day and had to keep turning it down. Also have to roll off a little bass as the ext cab is super bassy. But with a tweak on the eq you're set. Also with the horn I can add as much sparkle as I want. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I were you - it's turned what was already a great sound through my combo into a massive "backline" sound. And a steal at £300.

Only drawback - it weighs about the same as a small horse.