Why become a member? ×

Ritter strings?

guitarnbass

I assume you mean Jens Ritter's SwordSteel strings.

I used them on my [url="http://hallgeir.no/bass/listerud/"]Listerud 7-string[/url] and I liked them a lot. Easy on the fingers compared to regular SS strings, and a nice sound that sounded fresh for a long time. They didn't feel dead at all when I sold the bass.
A tad bit expensive though.

I bought a set a few weeks back - but haven't got round to trying them yet - currently got a set of DR Nickel Lo Riders on but the Ritters are next in line - once I've tried them I'll let you know if they are any good :)

I'm liking the DR's but like the Ritters they're more expensive than the Overwater's I usually use... also interestd to see how the steel compare to the nickel I usually use...

Must of be feeling flush a few weeks back and got both the DR's and Ritters to try them out :huh:

• 1 month later...

yep, used them and still have a spare pack.

Used them on my old Guild B-301, soap bar pup, through my PJB. In one word awesome! The clarity was amazing, it's difficult to describe sound in words, but for me they were well worth the money. The only reason I'm not using them now is that I bough 4 string packs, and now I play a 4 tuned BEAD, and a 5 and 6.

I had some swordsteels awhile ago infact I still do lerking at the bottom of a draw I didnt use them for long. They had a tone of clarity and were really bright. I just prefered my DR nickle sunbeams. They were really easy on the fingers and the different tensions was a little weird at first. I dont think they are worth the money tbh but then others seem to dissagree.

Just abit of a DR convert myself I love the warmth from the nickles.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget guys these so-called boutique strings are usually made by one of the main brand manufacturers like D'Addario, GHS, Rotosound, etc (ie think Elites, Status, Overwater) so the differences in reality are not that great.

Should stir up some discussion!!

That's a yes and a no, the biggest difference with such custom/boutique brands is often the marketing and packaging to make you think that they are really that different underneath the the skin (or is that nickel?)!!

At the end of the day strings and the choice of strings invariably is a very personal subjective subject because when we get down to the very fundamentals (obvious really until we hit the pub and discuss!) we all have different lengths and girths of fingers and hands and fingernails....and arms (I'll stop there!) which when you think about it all have a direct bearing on what we find comfortable and best. It's then just a matter of finding strings that suits our paws and of course there's the style and type of instrument....and the music.

Happy thoughts on a Saturday morning!

Ian