Why become a member? ×

Monster Cables!?!

thumb4bob

I use monster standard instrument cables (£24 for 21ft), i do think that decent cables make a difference, but i also realise they're on of the easiest things to break/lose, so i'm not gonna go spending £50-£100 or something like that.

When they go, i'm not fussed about specifically buying Monster again, probly give OBBM's a try, i have a speakon by him and his proper heavy duty!!

Si

Edited by Sibob

I wondered what these are like. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Generic-heavy-duty-Guitar-Bass-cables-10-foot_W0QQitemZ180150882976QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4713QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Generic-heavy-duty...oQQcmdZViewItem[/url]

although they are no good for me as i need an angled jack. i think i will be giving OBBM a pm soon if he does'nt mind as woefully short of cables.

[quote name='thumb4bob' post='36953' date='Jul 25 2007, 05:49 PM']Ive been looking for a while at monster cables, been recommednded to me by a couple of friends but the price is a bit of a put off, £88 for a lead!!!!!!!!!!!http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/default.aspx?categoryId=250

They seem to be a lot cheaper stateside but still at a very high price for cables, was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them and whether/how they justified the price[/quote]

To answer your specific question. i bought a couple of the 12' Monster cables off ebay from the US as they worked out pretty cheap, even by US standards - it worked out at around £20 a lead i think - about half the price of buying one over here. This was around 18months ago. My previous cable was a Klotz cable I bought in the early 90's (that was still and is still going strong). Now I suspect that cable technology had moved on a fair bit in the 15 years or so since I bought the Klotz cable, so it may not be a fair comparison, and also the Klotz was a longer cable.
So, what was the difference? Well, I could only really hear it on the B string which was slightly tighter/more focused when using the Monster cable over the Klotz - but only if you listened quite carfully. You certainly wouldn't hear the difference in a gig scenario, or in the mix of a recording. So, I'm sure good quality cable will give you a decent sound regardless of the brand. All IMHO of course :)

As an aside, I'll also say that in my experience using proper speaker cable between my amp and cabinet has improved my tone far more than changing instrument cable.

Regardless of what you do, +1 for OBBM, he can serve up the goods... :huh:

I have a Monster cable as well as a load of shorter patch cables in my rack and they certainly seem solid enough. That said I mainly got them because I went into Andertons one lunchtime and there were loads really cheap in a "Clearout" bucket so it was [i][b]NOTHING [/b][/i]like £88 for a cable. I am honestly not sure I could justify that.