Why become a member? ×

Monster Cables!?!

thumb4bob

Ive been looking for a while at monster cables, been recommednded to me by a couple of friends but the price is a bit of a put off, £88 for a lead!!!!!!!!!!!http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/default.aspx?categoryId=250

They seem to be a lot cheaper stateside but still at a very high price for cables, was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them and whether/how they justified the price

erm, best value for money cables are those purposely built by our very own OBBM on here. Take a look at his feedback thread.

Seeing the quality of Dave's cables will not make you rush out and spend £88 on a monster cable, that's for sure.

Watch the +1s stack up on this thread.

Edited by Muppet

Ok, I'll happily +1

Obbm's are as good as you need, and great value, made to your spec (plugs, length). Monster are "stiff" expensive and have a reputation for breaking jack sockets - some say the plugs are oversized, which gives you a good clunk on plugin but wears out your socket prematurely (ooeer missus etc etc)

BB

I have a number of 'quality' cables with 'lifetime gaurantees' and the only one to bugger up is a little monster cable I have! Probably coincidence but I won't buy them again!! I can't be fagged to send it off for a refund either

+1 OBBM: I use 6 of his patch leads on my pedal board, 2 of his muting leads and a speaker cable. I couldn't be happier because the components and work are top quality, but especially because the cost of him making them and posting to my door was less that the cost of buying the bit from Maplins and making them myself!

I have a few Monster cables and really rate them. I've heard about them wearing out jack sockets but I've never had a problem and I've been using them for quite a few years now. They're incredibly well put together, very heavy cable and solid jacks. However, there's no way on earth I would buy a monster cable for the money they charge in the UK, daylight robbery or what! I got mine in the US while on tour and they cost me about £20 each (20ft each). To be honest though, if you use high quality cable with quality jacks and connections, they're all the same, and from the reviews OBBM gets, it sounds like he's your man.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='37063' date='Jul 25 2007, 10:52 PM']+1 OBBM: I use 6 of his patch leads on my pedal board, 2 of his muting leads and a speaker cable. I couldn't be happier because the components and work are top quality, but especially because the cost of him making them and posting to my door was less that the cost of buying the bit from Maplins and making them myself![/quote]
And here's another +1 for OBBM!

You also get to deal directly with the person who's producing the gear for you (how rare is that with things like leads?) and Dave is a brilliant bloke to deal with.

Nik

+1 (Actually +2) for OBBM's products & Service......

When I made a mistake on a length he remade the cable for me at cost of postage....... Now that's service for you...

I use Monster cables and rate them highly, but will be replacing all my cables with OBBM's as they fail or wear out !

Around three years ago, there was a thread on the alt.guitar.bass newsgroup about how Monster Cable had trademarked the name Monster and consequently issued hundreds of cease or desist lawsuits to companies who had the word monster in their trading name.

They were pretty indiscriminate as to who they went for, what size they were or what type of business they were in or how long they had been operating for. Rumour has it they even went after The Disney Company & Pixar (because of Monsters Inc.), The Chicago Bears ('The Monsters Of Midway'), pinball machine makers Bally (who had a gaming machine called Monster Slots), along with a ton of small independents too; Monster Vintage (vintage clothes), the makers of Monster Garage (a TV show) and a company called Snow Monsters that makes soft toys.

I've never owned a Monster Cable (I've laid a few though), but I understand their stuff is pretty expensive and pretty mediocre to boot. I think their aforementioned actions pretty much made my mind up that I didn't want to use their products.
P

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='38411' date='Jul 29 2007, 12:16 PM']Around three years ago, there was a thread on the alt.guitar.bass newsgroup about how Monster Cable had trademarked the name Monster and consequently issued hundreds of cease or desist lawsuits to companies who had the word monster in their trading name.

They were pretty indiscriminate as to who they went for, what size they were or what type of business they were in or how long they had been operating for. Rumour has it they even went after The Disney Company & Pixar (because of Monsters Inc.), The Chicago Bears ('The Monsters Of Midway'), pinball machine makers Bally (who had a gaming machine called Monster Slots), along with a ton of small independents too; Monster Vintage (vintage clothes), the makers of Monster Garage (a TV show) and a company called Snow Monsters that makes soft toys.

I've never owned a Monster Cable (I've laid a few though), but I understand their stuff is pretty expensive and pretty mediocre to boot. I think their aforementioned actions pretty much made my mind up that I didn't want to use their products.
P[/quote]

The [url="http://www.omrlp.com/"]Monster Raving Loony Party[/url] must be quaking in their boots ...... not :)

[quote name='FretBuzz' post='42095' date='Aug 6 2007, 06:24 PM']Another +1 for OBBM. I use his Klotz speaker cables and the cable he made me for my Sennheiser EW 172 wireless transmitter (much better than the original).[/quote]

Yeah +1 for OBBM's EW 172 replacement cable... much better sound that the stupidly long orginal.

[quote name='MB1' post='42257' date='Aug 7 2007, 12:13 AM']MB1. :)

£88 is a lot of cash for a lead!.Us mere mortals ,have had no problems with planet waves leads............ so far!(considerably cheaper)

+1 for OBBM though (any freebies?)............always worth a try![/quote]

I've never gotten on with those Planet Waves after one absolutely refused to insert into my bass! The sprung sections just refuse to fit; only with this one bass so I have to concede you could blame the jack socket but I've never had an issue with any lead in that particular bass before or since.

Not the end of the world I know but... if you're buying a lead you expect it to work!

Monsters use oversized plugs to get a tighter fit in the sockets. Unfortunately this means that other leads will no longer fit securely as the plug contacts are strained and sometimes it'll even break the plug. The only problem I ever had with my SWR Grand Prix was a broken jack due to someone else's Monster cable - The Bass Centre kindly fixed it free of charge.

I had some armoured leads from Studiospares but they seem to be too popular with light fingered musicians at gigs...

OBBM is The Man.

Alex

I've got a couple of 10' Monster Cables I bought about 10 years ago and they're still as great as the day I bought them. I can see why they give you a Lifetime Guarantee with them. Unfortunately I lost the receipts years ago and have moved away from the store I bought them at, so if I do need any more cables then I'll be asking OBBM to supply them. Seems he has 100% satisfied customers here and great prices too!

I once went into a hifi store with my father because he wanted some stuff. I tried my best to say nothing, but when the salesman tried to sell him two 'monster' phono leads for £180 (ARGH!!!) I lost my temper and had a bit of a go at him. He stood there, and tried to explain that these cables are 'time aligned' - which means that the copper through which the treble runs, is wound tighter so it takes longer to get there... because apparently bass and treble travel at different speeds and normal cables have delayed bass.

He could not understand my argument that 'electricity is electricity', and actually said "we're talking about sound travelling through these cables, not electricity".

Grrrrrrrr...

And the upsetting thing is that people take this crap in day in day out, spending hundreds on interconnects.

Edited by NJW

[quote name='NJW' post='45105' date='Aug 14 2007, 12:58 AM']I once went into a hifi store with my father because he wanted some stuff. I tried my best to say nothing, but when the salesman tried to sell him two 'monster' phono leads for £180 (ARGH!!!) I lost my temper and had a bit of a go at him. He stood there, and tried to explain that these cables are 'time aligned' - which means that the copper through which the treble runs, is wound tighter so it takes longer to get there... because apparently bass and treble travel at different speeds and normal cables have delayed bass.

He could not understand my argument that 'electricity is electricity', and actually said "we're talking about sound travelling through these cables, not electricity".

Grrrrrrrr...

And the upsetting thing is that people take this crap in day in day out, spending hundreds on interconnects.[/quote]

Good cables do make a difference to HiFi sound but that's just stupid :)

My main cables are a pair of Klotz ones (Klotzes?) which I bought in 1987... they're still going strong, never a single problem, but when they do die you can bet your ass that none of my money will be going to the Monster people. :)