Why become a member? ×

Modulus refin/repairs

Beedster

Hi all
You may have seen the post in 'General...' about the damage to the Modulus Flea I boughta few months back. It looks like it will need to have a previous repair to the neck pocket assessed and either redone or made good (there would appear to have been a serious fracture of the wood between two of the neck bold holes and beyond) and a complete refin on both body and graphite headstock. I am in no rush for this work to be done and would rather it were done by the right person irrespective of geographical location. I know there's a recommended luthiers sticky, but are there any guys specifically recommended by BCers for this type of work?
Cheers
Chris

I [i]did[/i] read the "General" thread...

You sold the bass on, if I recall correctly (?)

If so, have you got it back, or are you arranging repairs for the new owner?

If you've go the bass, I've had an alternative idea...

Have you considered having a new body made and transferring the neck, hardware and electrics to that? Am I right in thinking the headstock is matches the original body - Get it refinished in black?

Just an idea (if the circumstances are right)!

(Before someone else says it!) Beware! this sort of stuff may well yield a superb instrument, but will significantly lower its resale value.

Otherwise, luthiers I'd seek out -

S.I.M.S - installers of LEDs. They do refinishes, methinks
Bass Merchant ?
Shuker ?

Have you contacted Modulus for any advice? They might be able to help...

[quote name='Beedster' post='37390' date='Jul 26 2007, 03:58 PM']............I know there's a recommended luthiers sticky, but are there any guys specifically recommended by BCers for this type of work?[/quote]
I reckon Charlie Chandler, Hampton Wick, would be a good place to start looking. Everything can be fixed and he certainly will be able to do it.

Thanks guys. In answer to the question above, I am having the instrument repaired for myself. I'm probably going to have to sell the odd bass or two to do so but c'est la vie! Lfalex, thanks, I've just contacted Modulus regaring the possibility of their supplying a new body, although knowing how such companies operate - and given the price of a new FB4 - I doubt that will be a cheap or even viable option (it would however mean that the bass has resale value). Chris, I've been into Charlie's shop a few times, have you had work done by him?
Cheers
Chris