Why become a member? ×

Edinburgh Festival

andy67

I'm in the middle of moving house, so not much time or money for Fringey antics this year - however, just back from seeing Amanda Palmer at the Spiegeltent tonight - absolutely stunning. No bass, just 1 girl & 2 pianos, but do check her out if you get the chance - the woman's a genius. :)

I also have tickets for Guy Pratt week after next, & hoping to be able to get to see Fuerzabruta a bit later - looks quite unlike anything I've seen before.

And tomorrow I will spend in front of the music stage on the Meadows, with enough alcohol to be oblivious to the inevitable rain! :huh:

Jon.

Anyone else going to the [url="http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/category.asp?cat_id=S_WHFR&lkid=10&cid=IRS3QV7O1MR8IIW6FGRAR7ZT9865793Z"]Whisky Fringe[/url] tomorrow? Last year was superb ... 25 whiskies in 4 hours ... :)

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='46793' date='Aug 17 2007, 11:26 AM']Ok,

gonna see guy pratt next week. Edward Hammel at the underbelly and Norman Lovvet (holly from red dwarf) if anyone is up for it.

G[/quote]

Hey Big G, I'm up tuesday/wednesday and have ticket for Guy Pratt on tuesday evening, when are you going ??

Any one else around ?

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='46823' date='Aug 17 2007, 01:01 PM']Cool, booked for tuesday.

Cya then man

G[/quote]

Excellent, I've got your mobile, we can sort out meet nearer the time. I'll be in the Holyrood area, so not too far away.

Will leave the suit behind this time!!

[quote name='cockbongo' post='47593' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:23 AM']Off to see Mr Pratt tonight - they've just released a load of extra tickets for tonight's show as well, only £6 a head!

<geek> Going to try and get my book signed as well :) </geek>[/quote]

Say hello if you spot me, I'll have a cream suede jacket on and will be with a very tall partially sighted american.

[quote name='jacko' post='47665' date='Aug 20 2007, 12:34 PM']Say hello if you spot me, I'll have a cream suede jacket on and will be with a very tall partially sighted american.[/quote]

Sorry mate, didn't get this email til just now. Great show as always, he was struggling to decided which stories he could actually fit in to the running time!

Met and had a chat with Guy afterwards too, lovely bloke - i recommend hanging round in the wee smoking beer garden afterwards if you want to catch up with him, he usually needs a few ciggys to calm down after the show.

Top night all in.

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='49214' date='Aug 22 2007, 10:17 PM']It was a brilliant show. Really enjoyed it and am gonna get the book.

For someone who has played to 80,000 folk at a time, been on countless hits/albums/tour etc... i thought he was somewhat on the uncomfortable side on the stage.

Even still its a must see.

G[/quote]

I guess you arent in touch so much with 80,000 people, also you can console yourself with the thought that 90% of them are totally wasted anyway. With this show, probably 90% of the people in the room were bass-players and relatively sober - now thats pressure !

• 2 weeks later...

hmm it seems i find the basschat site a wee bit late....
the festival is over (i know i can get down the royal mile in under half an hour) but reading this i was wondering who the rest of you other folk from the burgh (and surroundings fae the fifers) are and who you play with. Edinburgh has precious little of a music scene compared to the west side so it would good to know what the craic is with everyone. (pos best done in a new topic thinking bout it but someone else can do that!)
L

[quote name='The_D' post='57280' date='Sep 8 2007, 07:29 AM']Aye I joined a bit late too. Never managed to catch any shows this year :)

I am going through to see Ross Noble at the playhouse tonight though :huh: Should be fun :huh:[/quote]

me too (seeing ross noble that is).

To answer Luke, i think there are a fair few edinburgh players on here. (I'm out in west lothian). My band Big Tuna play in the city fairly often, the next gig being at Walkabout on the 19th October. If you can make it,say hello.

[quote name='jacko' post='57317' date='Sep 8 2007, 10:17 AM']me too (seeing ross noble that is).

To answer Luke, i think there are a fair few edinburgh players on here. (I'm out in west lothian). My band Big Tuna play in the city fairly often, the next gig being at Walkabout on the 19th October. If you can make it,say hello.[/quote]

Another Edinburgh player here - just out of interest, what's it like playing in Walkabout? My covers band gig around Edinburgh here and there and someone mentioned there as a venue, is it any good?

Sorry for the thread hijack...!

[quote name='cockbongo' post='59404' date='Sep 12 2007, 05:40 PM']Another Edinburgh player here - just out of interest, what's it like playing in Walkabout? My covers band gig around Edinburgh here and there and someone mentioned there as a venue, is it any good?

Sorry for the thread hijack...![/quote]

It's a good gig usually. Pretty full till about 11:45 when all the ladies head off to the night clubs. They have a reasonable PA and we've always had a very good sound guy/gal. The pay's not bad but you need to go throug an agent - the manager will point you in the right direction.

[quote]I guess you arent in touch so much with 80,000 people, also you can console yourself with the thought that 90% of them are totally wasted anyway. With this show, probably 90% of the people in the room were bass-players and relatively sober - now thats pressure ![/quote]

Absolutely

I am also from Edinburgh. Play in a few bands (in my sig) and work in Banana Row Studios.

Sure ill know some you but not know who you are on here.

G