Why become a member? ×

Basses that are 'tough' on amps?

martthebass

[quote name='Tinman' post='2704' date='May 20 2007, 09:58 AM']Drifting a little from the topic, you're the first person I've seen mentioning Eggle Bass, what are they like? I've still got a Vienna (guitar) by them that I love.
Just wondering is all.[/quote]

There's been a Milan 4 in my local cash converters for over a year now, stupidly over priced. I played it the last time I was in there, I hated it, didn't like the feel of it, and found it really hard to play on. Can't tell you about the sound, couldn't plug it in.

[quote name='BeLow' post='3288' date='May 21 2007, 02:35 AM']Does you OLP have a passive mode - if so what does it sound like. It sounds to me like the active circuit may possibly be faulty rather than powerful. Good idea to ask others for their experience, or maybe try another one out.

Found this which implies that the shielding and perhaps some of the electronics may not be up to top standards.

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/OLP/Tony+Levin+Signature/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...+Signature/10/1[/url]

Might be worth checking the soldering if you can? Otherwise it seems a real bargain.

[url="http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=2033&type=bass"]http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=2033&type=bass[/url][/quote]
Cheers for the tip - maybe friendly neighbourhood tech should have it back.

[quote name='stewblack' post='3221' date='May 21 2007, 12:27 AM']Anyone else use a Tony Levin OLP?[/quote]

I have one. Mine does it only slightly, and only when I turn up the volume on the bass all the way (which I never do anyway, much too hard on the amp gain).

On another forum I read that the problem is the onboard electronics, something like the pickup overdriving the internal pre-amp, resulting in a distorted signal. I just keep the volume on the bass down and don´t worry about it.

Soulfinger - up until now I've just kept the volume down really low as well. But I mean really low. This thread had got me wondering if there's something wrong though. Your post reassures me - they just kick out a massive signal.

Never really thought about the output - suppose I should have had really. Usually at home I play down low thru a Peavey Microbass. When live (other than jam nights), through the TE combo I always go wireless which takes the 'sting' out of the signal a bit. I even go thru the passive input on the TE.

checked this out on my rig last night. with the bass volume on full i really had to back the input (gain) off to get a clean signal but i could get a clean signal by backing the volume on the bass off only a little as it seems to ramp very quickly over the last 10% (gets alot of hiss too). Doing this ment i could get alot more volume out of the amp than before and the tone was much improved also the input on the amp could go alot higher.
like martthebass i never really thought about the bass output and always ran the bass volume on full but backing it off worked wonders, certainly opened my eyes and the bands as i actually had to turn my volume down as it was drowning out the guitarists :)

Just a thought - have you got the actives turned up full as well. MM dont have a centre click like most basses and I wondered if the OLP were the same. If you have got the volume and active tones on full beans I would not be surprised you are having problems.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='4356' date='May 22 2007, 02:08 PM']MM dont have a centre click like most basses and I wondered if the OLP were the same. If you have got the volume and active tones on full beans I would not be surprised you are having problems.[/quote]
The MM Sterling does and also the 3EQ Stingray (I think).