Why become a member? ×

So who on here has a Telebass?

Beedster

Beedster, while I don't own one (nor plan to), if you're thinking of adding a mid pup you'd be straying into the territory owned by Yamaha with a certain signature bass played by a rather good player.

And that series of basses get glowing reviews sound wise.

Just sayin' :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='372526' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:28 PM']Beedster, while I don't own one (nor plan to), if you're thinking of adding a mid pup you'd be straying into the territory owned by Yamaha with a certain signature bass played by a rather good player.

And that series of basses get glowing reviews sound wise.

Just sayin' :)[/quote]

Any more clues.....?

And on a more general note, I was looking at these earlier, anyone got any opinions?

[url="http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp38916/Bassbucker.htm"]http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp38916/Bassbucker.htm[/url]

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='371688' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:15 AM']Chris

I have absolutley nothing of use to you to add to this discussion, but I did own a Tele' bass back in errrrrr, 1980, maybe 1979!
It was my second bass, the first being a "no name" P. bass copy, the Tele; was my first propa bass, I was still at school and saved every single penny I got my hands on, I was earning a bit from playing as I could read, plus the money I got from selling the P. bass.
Mine was a 1972, natural finish with the big chrome p/up, it only had one sound, deep bass! I bought a Boss 7-band graphic to give it some more zing as I was playing a wide variety of stuff at the time
Mine came from a guy called Diccon Hubbard, bass player with the Salford Jets (who you looking at), he used to come in the off licence my dad owned, so I got to know him that way. Bumped into him many years later at the Bass centre in manchester, "Your the guy who bought the Tele bass off me" he said! It cost me £150 back then, then I had the joy of teling all my mates I had a Fender bass :huh:

Many fond memories attached to that bass, did a hell of a lot of playing with it considering my age, also lost it a few times after a few sniffs of the bar maids apron!

I know there is a photo of me playing it somehwre on face book, off to find it!

Good luck with the build chris, considered it myself but realised it would be more down to sentimant than practicality!

Tony ([i]off work, sick and feeling sentimental about his old basses[/i])[/quote]

Cheers Tony, I somehow missed this post yesterday. Love the idea that your first real bass wa s Telecaster. bit like having Britney Spears as your first girlfriend, i.e., some good and some bad points :)
I'll keep you posted on the build
Chris

Just been blasting this baby through a 6x10. More punch than John Prescott combined with more depth than, well, something pretty deep. Really in two minds about whether to put a PPUP in the classic P position or whether to leave it as is. Rock solid bass and just so good to play
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='375586' date='Jan 9 2009, 07:48 PM']Just been blasting this baby through a 6x10. More punch than John Prescott combined with more depth than, well, something pretty deep. Really in two minds about whether to put a PPUP in the classic P position or whether to leave it as is. Rock solid bass and just so good to play
Chris[/quote]
I would hang fire until you've gigged it a few times. You never know, it might ring your bell and it would be a shame to hack it otherwise.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='375591' date='Jan 9 2009, 07:55 PM']

If you liked the look of that you can read about it [url="http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=627.0"]here[/url].[/quote]

Cheers Dave
Totally agree with what he says about the G being as thick sounding as the rest also. I can't see the pics for seom reason but I'll play around a bit and see what happens. I'm enjoying this bass so much I just can't help feeling a good PUP at the neck or mid would make it an unbelievable all-rounder, although as Michael has said, might be best to gig it a few times first to make sure it hasn't got all I need anyway, Funnily enough I was thinking of finishing it in natural walnut and black pickguard - I think a pair of the black Schaller Humbuckers (above) would look awesome in it - anyone know what they sound like?
Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I've rehearsed this a few times now. I'm loving it but am pretty sure I want to put a second PUP in. I've the option of buying a matching Fender Humbucker. Your thoughts? I think aesthetically two matching HBs would be a winner, but should I be looking to vary the tone (more specifically, will the HB sound different in a different position or much the same)??? If I did install a second Fender HB I would probably get Andy at Wizard or someone equally good to look at reducing the o/p of both PUPs slightly (although I've still to try the PUP mod recommended above). Big question I guess is do I put it in the classic P-Bass position for that classic tone (or as close to it as the HB can get) or a little closer to the bridge a-la Stingray to maximise the difference in tone between the two PUPs? At present I'm tending towards the former, so is there the possibility that the two PUPs will interact magnetically being as close to each other as in the pic above?
Cheers
Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='389074' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:16 PM']I'd figure pretty much any other pickup would fit under the same cover if look is a concern.[/quote]

Not sure really. I'd rather at least try and get the original to sound as good as possible first.

Pickguard has finally arrived, very excited! Know what I'll be doing tomorrow ;)

Well, surely I'm qualified to have a word on this? ;)
Play both SCPB and Tele MkII types, the MKII in the form of the Squier VM P TB. The pickup is a good repro, very hot at 22kohm. The originals ran at about 24 or 25. As a comparison, original Gibson 'mudbuckers' were wound to 30kOhms - no wonder they were muddy!

I've found the bass to be quite usable, but it does demand very differrent settings on the amp.

If anyone does the mod, be really careful not to lose the pole pieces. On this type of pickup, the polepieces ARE the magnets, and they are special types. You can't easily machine a thread into alnico magnets - they are too brittle. So Seth Lover had these made from CuNiFe, copper/nickel/iron. As an aside to that, AlNiCo is, in reality just the flavouring added to the mix, as is the copper and nickel in CuNiFe.

[quote name='Telebass' post='390989' date='Jan 25 2009, 03:02 PM']Well, surely I'm qualified to have a word on this? ;)
Play both SCPB and Tele MkII types, the MKII in the form of the Squier VM P TB. The pickup is a good repro, very hot at 22kohm. The originals ran at about 24 or 25. As a comparison, original Gibson 'mudbuckers' were wound to 30kOhms - no wonder they were muddy!

I've found the bass to be quite usable, but it does demand very differrent settings on the amp.

If anyone does the mod, be really careful not to lose the pole pieces. On this type of pickup, the polepieces ARE the magnets, and they are special types. You can't easily machine a thread into alnico magnets - they are too brittle. So Seth Lover had these made from CuNiFe, copper/nickel/iron. As an aside to that, AlNiCo is, in reality just the flavouring added to the mix, as is the copper and nickel in CuNiFe.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, although I think you lost me after alnico :P

I did the mod yesterday and rehearsed it and it seems to have lost the magic somehow, the warmth and depth has gone and if anything this makes it sound even more muddy, that is, the mids that are left are nothing like as clear as those on my Precision. Pole pieces are going back in this evening.
Chris

[i]Hi Chris,

Interesting thread…

Telebass is spot on in his assessment.

My Squire VM Telebass TEB101 pickup has two coils around 11-12KOhms each wired in Hum-bucking mode, I have read elsewhere on the net over the years that the original 70's Tele pickups was a bit hotter towards 30K Ohms in total.

The pick up has 8 pole pieces, four on top four below, I also have had mixed results removing the underside pole pieces, and actually the sound was better with all 8 in place.

I contacted Hammon Engineering in the U.S about a Darkstar replacement, which was $208 +p&p, plus would involve minor cavity routing (and at the current exchange rate I'm not going down that route.) The don’t often come up for resale ( I guess that’s because they’re so good)

I find my pickup unusable even with lots of treble and middle on my amp, It’s too muddy, lacks definition and has limited scope for tone control .

I have just sent the pickup to Andy at wizard for assessment; hopefully he can 'tame' the beast and get me a sound more akin to a P90 or single coil.
I have generally has issues with hum-bucking pickups for bass, but that’s another topic.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Regards Neil[/i]

Thanks Neil
Interestingly I emailed Andy about Tele Pups and he said he could be of no help? The guy at Darkstar didn't reply at all....
I'm about to replace the pole pieces into the MB and try some roundwounds (currently I'm playing TI flats), this just too see what happens really. I've also just installed a Fender high mass bridge so I've a few comparisons to make. Ultimately I hope to have La Bella Deep Talkers on the bass, hence my buying the bridge, but it's good to try a few options ;)
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='393547' date='Jan 28 2009, 11:46 AM']Thanks Neil
Interestingly I emailed Andy about Tele Pups and he said he could be of no help? The guy at Darkstar didn't reply at all....
I'm about to replace the pole pieces into the MB and try some roundwounds (currently I'm playing TI flats), this just too see what happens really. I've also just installed a Fender high mass bridge so I've a few comparisons to make. Ultimately I hope to have La Bella Deep Talkers on the bass, hence my buying the bridge, but it's good to try a few options ;)
Cheers
Chris[/quote]
I used rounds on mine, and still couldn't get anything useful out of it - I can only imagine what it would have been like with flats on it. Probably only audible from 200 miles away, I imagine!

Personally, I think it's the[i] placement [/i]of the pup as much as the pup itself. You could stick a P-pup, a Single-coil or a DarkStar in there and it's still going to lack definition..

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='393549' date='Jan 28 2009, 11:49 AM']Personally, I think it's the[i] placement [/i]of the pup as much as the pup itself. You could stick a P-pup, a Single-coil or a DarkStar in there and it's still going to lack definition..[/quote]

Agreed, I'm no longer looking for anything to go in the neck position, but am investigating what another PUP in the middle would sound like. I wonder whether one of the Wizard double Jazz PUPs might be the solution, it would certainly offer options?