Why become a member? ×

So who on here has a Telebass?

Beedster

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='393549' date='Jan 28 2009, 11:49 AM']Personally, I think it's the[i] placement [/i]of the pup as much as the pup itself. You could stick a P-pup, a Single-coil or a DarkStar in there and it's still going to lack definition..[/quote]

I have a P with a Jazz pickup in the neck postion, its pretty bassy, but not totally lacking definition. Well, the tuning to A doesn't help definition, but when it had sensible strings and tuning, its was still ok.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='393634' date='Jan 28 2009, 01:13 PM']Y'know, I reckon this is the exact same conversation people must have been having 35 years ago. Not that it's uninteresting - far from it.

But this thread def has vintage mojo, peoples.[/quote]

LOL, hence the number of Tele 2s with mods I guess. I saw one last week with both P and J additions!
Vitage mojo is never a bad thing ;)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='394254' date='Jan 29 2009, 12:25 AM'][url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6891203#post6891203"]A good thread has popped up on Talkbass recently...[/url][/quote]

Cheers Michael. Love the mixed emotions this bass produces :P

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='394264' date='Jan 29 2009, 12:37 AM']I have a P with a Jazz pickup in the neck postion, its pretty bassy, but not totally lacking definition. Well, the tuning to A doesn't help definition, but when it had sensible strings and tuning, its was still ok.[/quote]

A few people have suggested I loe the HB and install a JPUP at the neck, but it wouldn't be a Telebass if I did. I do really like some aspects of the sound, and as one of the guys on TB siad, with some messing around, you can get a killer Motown/Blues tone. My biggest issue is not with the tone but with the massive output.
Having said that, I'm going to put some La Bella Deep Talkers on at the weekend. Earthworms of Kent, you have been warned :)

I can get a usable tone out of my Markbass with this bass. It still has more sheer bass, but it'll cut through fine. Definitely rounds, though...flats are where the muddy reputation originally came from. Flats on a 51 or a Mk1 Telebass though...heaven.

My point is...keep it stock. They're good basses, just a little...different!

As for the massive output - plug it in the active 'ole! If you use radio and it has a pad (eg Samson Airline), there's another answer.

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Telebass' post='397280' date='Feb 1 2009, 09:26 PM']I can get a usable tone out of my Markbass with this bass. It still has more sheer bass, but it'll cut through fine. Definitely rounds, though...flats are where the muddy reputation originally came from. Flats on a 51 or a Mk1 Telebass though...heaven.

My point is...keep it stock. They're good basses, just a little...different!

As for the massive output - plug it in the active 'ole! If you use radio and it has a pad (eg Samson Airline), there's another answer.[/quote]

Agreed, I can certainly get a useable tone, but I think I'd like a little more. Through my Markbass R500 it has enough clarity but, given the body has been modded already and has no vintage value, I think adding the second PUP at the classic PPUP position could make a good bass an outstanding bass. I've been a Precision player for a long time but I'm getting into Jazzes in a big way now. I don't want to have to take a Jazz, a Precision and a Tele to a gig - I'd like this bass to have the big Tele bottom end whilst providing something close to a Precision sound from the newly installed PUP so that I can cover all my blues/Motown needs with the Tele with flats and my funk/rock needs with the Jazz and rounds.
No doubt about them being good basses. I think in an age of hi-fi clarity they are very unfashionable. As is always the case with any past fashion however, they will be back ;)
Chris

I'm hoping the overall look/feel of the bass would be a little like this Tele Custom

[attachment=19596:693e_1.jpg]

i.e., two matched humbuckers in a custom pickguard. I've picked up a PUP from a Squire VMP which I'll use initially ahead of getting an original Tele PUP from the US if I'm happy with the mod. If I'm really unhapy with it I'll fill the hole and finish the bass in a solid colour and no-one will be the wiser (except of course the entire UK bass playing community reading this thread ;) )
Chris

Edited by Beedster

[size=3]Hello everyone,

Food for thought on the Telebass pickup issue, Andy is rewinding my stock Fender telecaster TEB101 humbucker this week.
Will keep you all posted on the outcome

Regards Neil [/size]

[color="#00FF00"]
'Neil,

Right, we've tested and looked at your pickup, although there are alternative wiring options all are pretty dark and muddy.

We have no "off-the-shelf" replacement but we could rewind your pickup to give a more open toppy tone, cost would be £45.00.

Cheers
Andy - Wizard Pickups Ltd'[/color]

Cool. It would also be interesting to do a direct electrical comparison of the original pickup and the TEB101 from the Squier. I measured mine at 23k; it was thought that the originals were nearer 30k (Gibson territory), but as Mr Lover wanted them a [i]little[/i] brighter than the Gibsons, I wouldn't wonder if the Squiers were, in fact pretty close...

Be interesting, Neil, to hear your result also.

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Telebass' post='397671' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:09 AM']Cool. It would also be interesting to do a direct electrical comparison of the original pickup and the TEB101 from the Squier. I measured mine at 23k; it was thought that the originals were nearer 30k (Gibson territory), but as Mr Lover wanted them a [i]little[/i] brighter than the Gibsons, I wouldn't wonder if the Squiers were, in fact pretty close...

Be interesting, Neil, to hear your result also.[/quote]

Getting quite excited about this now. Probaly find the cost of the work (route, hardware, custom pickguard) will be close to the cost of a new bass, but that's life, and this baby is a special bass for sure. I have to have a crack in the board between the nut and first fret dealt with anyway, so I'll get all the work done at once.
Thanks for all the help and advice above, I'll keep you all posted as this develops
C

[quote name='orangepeelneil' post='397670' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:08 AM'][size=3]Hello everyone,

Food for thought on the Telebass pickup issue, Andy is rewinding my stock Fender telecaster TEB101 humbucker this week.

Regards Neil [/size]

[color="#00FF00"]
'Neil,

Right, we've tested and looked at your pickup, although there are alternative wiring options all are pretty dark and muddy.

We have no "off-the-shelf" replacement but we could rewind your pickup to give a more open toppy tone, cost would be £45.00.

Cheers
Andy - Wizard Pickups Ltd'[/color][/quote]

Should be interesting, keep us posted mate
Chris

Have you seen this custom shop Tele bass:

The sale thread was [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Masterbuilt-Telecaster-Bass-Guitar-NOS-Red-NEW_W0QQitemZ370125232716QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item370125232716&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50"]here[/url].

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='397684' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:19 AM']Have you seen this custom shop Tele bass:

The sale thread was [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Masterbuilt-Telecaster-Bass-Guitar-NOS-Red-NEW_W0QQitemZ370125232716QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item370125232716&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50"]here[/url].[/quote]

Looks a bit like an overwater now.
Not too keen on the neck.
I would've had it refinished in yellow-or lairy green ;)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='397684' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:19 AM']Have you seen this custom shop Tele bass:
The sale thread was [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Masterbuilt-Telecaster-Bass-Guitar-NOS-Red-NEW_W0QQitemZ370125232716QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item370125232716&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50"]here[/url].[/quote]

That is EXACTLY what I'm going for. Might move the bridge PUP a little closer to the neck, and I'll want to keep the pickguard as traditional as possible (that's quite a departure), but otherwise that's pretty close. Cheers for the link, I'll take those pics with me when I get the work done ;)
C

[quote name='Telebass' post='397690' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:26 AM']Saw that via athread on FDP; it's a Dennis Galuszka Masterbuilt. And not my cup of tea at all. Too 'Gibson' for me.[/quote]

Imagine it in an aged natural finish, white single-ply pickguard much closer in shape to the original, two stacked vol/tone controls, and a beautifully worn maple neck....

heres mine. buildt after paul jackson's tele bass. no neck mudbucker tho ( so some of you wouldnt register it as telebass haha)

a heavy piece of ash,slab body. one piece maple neck,one saddle for each string and bartolinis.

great sound. here's sound/video clip of the bass and meself playing it:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGvi6uy5zZA&feature=channel_page"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGvi6uy5zZA...re=channel_page[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dr1' post='399136' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:52 PM']heres mine. buildt after paul jackson's tele bass. no neck mudbucker tho ( so some of you wouldnt register it as telebass haha)[/quote]

Nice bass, although I tend to think that if the high or high-mid controls or your amp are of any use with the bass in question, it can't legitimately be labelled a Telebass ;)

Played mine with the band Sunday and although the singer seemed really happy with the bassiness and deepness of it ('depth' surely. Ed), the g**tarist wasn't at all chuffed. I had to really restrict my playing to avoid dominating the sound too much (hence the guitarists thoughts perhaps?), but when I tempered my ambition it really started to fill some holes in the sound that a Precision, or at least a Precision as played by me, wouldn't. I'm gonna try the same but with roundwounds this week to see if there's any difference, then I'll decide on installing the extra PUP or not.

[quote name='orangepeelneil' post='397670' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:08 AM'][size=3]Hello everyone,

Regards Neil [/size]

[color="#00FF00"]
'Neil,

Cheers
Andy - Wizard Pickups Ltd'[/color][/quote]

Hi Neil
Have to got your PUP back from Andy? If so, how did the mod work out?
Chris

Chris you have to try a dark star in there and perhaps save your self the guilt of installing an extra PU, Ok they are expensive but it should install without any routing or mods. JUST DO IT! ;)

[quote name='steve-norris' post='415863' date='Feb 20 2009, 11:09 PM']Chris you have to try a dark star in there and perhaps save your self the guilt of installing an extra PU, Ok they are expensive but it should install without any routing or mods. JUST DO IT! ;)[/quote]

Made up my mind Steve, lipstick J-PUP at the bridge. It's gonna to be something of a compromise but I'm pretty sure it'll both sound good and fit the look of the bass. Although I bought a second mudbucker a few weeks back I was worried that installing it at the bridge was a bit of an unknown quantity. DS would be great but would require a mod, plus it's still at the neck, which is the real problem with the tone of the bass.
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='415919' date='Feb 21 2009, 12:52 AM']Made up my mind Steve, lipstick J-PUP at the bridge. It's gonna to be something of a compromise but I'm pretty sure it'll both sound good and fit the look of the bass. Although I bought a second mudbucker a few weeks back I was worried that installing it at the bridge was a bit of an unknown quantity. DS would be great but would require a mod, plus it's still at the neck, which is the real problem with the tone of the bass.
Cheers
Chris[/quote]

I take it your going for the Kent Armstrong lipstick? Nice pickups they have a smooth top end which should blend well, look nice as well!