Why become a member? ×

Keep music live

niceguyhomer

We played at a 60th birthday party last night, a big do for someone who'd seen us at a pub gig and liked what they saw. As usual at these affairs, there was a d*sco and this was no exception. We arrived at about 6 o clock and the 'record player' had more or less set up and f. me he had some gear - there must have been £20,000's worth - all flightcased, superb kit - he did it for a living.

He did the usual thing and played records at stupid volumes while we were setting up while looking down his nose at our ramshackle gear - a veritable cocky little tw4t indeed in his t-shirt emblazoned with his disco logo.

He went on first and it was the usual thing - whip up a few onto the dancefloor and keep interrupting the music with their inane drivel. By the time he was coming to the end of his slot, the number of people on the dancefloor had dwindled to about 10 (there were about 300 people there).

Then he begrudgingly handed over to us - "the turn's coming on now" as he put it adding "...who said noooooooooo..?" on the end of his patter. Imagine our pleasure as the dance floor completely filled with about 200 people when we opened with our first number and they stayed until the last of the first set.

The second set was wild - a real party atmosphere, even the smokers came inside and you couldn't find anywhere to dance on the dance floor. Everyone was up for it, Mr. Cocky Tw4t with too much testosterone by now, sat in the corner looking very sheepish. Priceless.

We did three encores and when we finished, the d*sco came back on and the dance floor emptied. Long live live music I say.

Good stuff mate.
We once did a wedding same thing, well apart for the £20.000 worth of gear. Had the dance florr full then the DJ came on stuck on New York, New York and emptied the dance floor. I've never seen a DJ kill the mood so quickly!!!

Keep Music Live indeed.

Sweet Soul Music
Gimme Some Lovin'
Satisfaction (the original version)
Nutbush City Limits
Get Ready
Nothin' But a Houseparty
Respect
Show Me
Too Hard to Handle
Sha la la la lee
Sex Machine
All Over Now ( a la Bobby Womack)

Second Set

I Feel Good
Louie Louie
Soulman
Ghost in my House
Mr Pitiful
Uptight (Everything's Alright)
Midnight Hour
Heatwave
Knock on Wood
Must Hang Sally
Take Me to the River
Shake a Tailfeather
Treat Her Right

Encores

Everybody
Higher and Higher
Johnny Be Good (Jammed improv)

We had a sax player with us for this gig which kinda influenced the songs chosen.

Good to hear it Alan

A disco, at the end of the day, is a very loud radio playing songs which people can hear all day, every day if they wish.
Punters love a live band- most wish they could do it (whereas many could probably do a dodgy DJ's job)
I've never heard a good wedding DJ- it's usually a right cheese-fest (although I'm sure there are some good ones- just to be on the safe side!)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='38449' date='Jul 29 2007, 12:59 PM']... The set ...[/quote]
Some nice songs in there. We do Nutbush City Limits as well. It's a cracking song. I'd never heard it before until I had to learn it.

There's a couple of others in the list that are also in our set (Hard to Handle roxors), but there's a fair few I've never heard of.

I grew up in a musical vaccum so I've been filling in the gaps over the last couple of years. I've not heard of most of the songs you've got listed so I'll have to track them down and have a listen. Thanks again for the list.

If anyone gets the chance to go and see Alans band " Nice Guy Eddie" do so, they're such a great band, cool as f*** and tight as a fishes arse (especially when it's their round at the bar).

I'm not a soul man particularly, but I loved the set when I saw them. Give me that over some tosser spinning disks, every time.

I just find that most wedding DJ's play everything so loud its painful to be on the dancefloor.
Its like a manhood thing for them.

Personally I am always set to a reponsible volume for the delight and comfort of the punter :)

[quote name='Rayman' post='39421' date='Jul 31 2007, 11:20 AM']If anyone gets the chance to go and see Alans band " Nice Guy Eddie" do so, they're such a great band, cool as f*** and tight as a fishes arse (especially when it's their round at the bar).

I'm not a soul man particularly, but I loved the set when I saw them. Give me that over some tosser spinning disks, every time.[/quote]

Aw shucks - thanks Russ mate - you should come and see us again with our new drummer Zoe - she's astounding. Mike saw us a few weeks ago and couldn't get over how much better the band sounds with her beating the skins. She's a big girl too, dwarfs me!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='38449' date='Jul 29 2007, 12:59 PM']We had a sax player with us for this gig which kinda influenced the songs chosen.[/quote]

Hey Ever play my way? :)

We played a wedding reception on Saturday. At the end we put cheese CD's through our PA for 45 minutes - without the Smashy and Nicey inane prattle between, just music..
On the way out our caller/singer/melodeon player/joint front man heard someone ask who he was as he carried some gear out "oh he's the DJ" someone said .. hummmmm 3 hours of live music and the only thing they'll remember is Dancing Queen on the CD ...

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='39278' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:02 PM']Some nice songs in there. We do Nutbush City Limits as well. It's a cracking song. I'd never heard it before until I had to learn it.

There's a couple of others in the list that are also in our set (Hard to Handle roxors), but there's a fair few I've never heard of.

I grew up in a musical vaccum so I've been filling in the gaps over the last couple of years. I've not heard of most of the songs you've got listed so I'll have to track them down and have a listen. Thanks again for the list.[/quote]

Wow have you got a fine few months ahead of you...
I'd love to re-live the excitement of hearing the Stax and Atlantic soul catalogues for the first time ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='39618' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:12 PM']Wow have you got a fine few months ahead of you...
I'd love to re-live the excitement of hearing the Stax and Atlantic soul catalogues for the first time ...[/quote]
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm........... Motown Nirvana

As well as listening to those CD's, a fun film to watch is The Commitments.

Hamster

[quote name='alexclaber' post='39610' date='Jul 31 2007, 03:59 PM']Good set!

How do you get on with Sex Machine - I've never heard anyone play it quite like the original?

Alex[/quote]

TBH Alex - I used to just do a simple groove that fitted but since I've been taking lessons and my technique's improved I more or less play the Bootsy version note for note. It is a pig to play but it just makes the song IMO

[quote name='Hamster' post='39625' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:25 PM']Ummmmmmmmmmmmm........... Motown Nirvana

As well as listening to those CD's, a fun film to watch is The Commitments.

Hamster[/quote]

Dave Finnegan (Mickah Wallace) sings with us from time to time if we're near Burnley where he lives. He's doing a tour of the UK at the moment but last time we played in Burnley, his lady asked us to play at his birthday (I think it's his 40th) coming soon I believe.

Here's pic of him taken at our last gig at The Duck & Boot in Burnley when he last got up and sang. Pissed as a fart he was..

Edited by niceguyhomer