Why become a member? ×

Rotosound PSD 99 - what is a piano string design string?

markdavid

I think it means that the string is tapered towards the ball end at the bridge so that the core rests on the bridge. It is sometimes a feature of a B string in a standard set. I used to have a set before I discovered my love of elixirs, and they sounded great. You will have to raise your bridge saddles to compensate, though!!

Give 'em a whirl!

I used to use them on my fretless quite a few years ago and loved them. I've recently discovered that La Bella do a similar range but (I think) they have a greater choice of gauges. I believe John Paul Jones used to use them but I could be wrong (hell, enough of this modesty - of course I couldn't be wrong!).

Mark

As Ped and Bass Culture say, the core is exposed just as they fit over your saddles. The theory being that more tone is transferred through your bridge. I think.
To be honest, I didnt really hear much difference in tone to standard Roto's, and what difference there was wasn't worth the hassle of having to measure up and fit the balls to the ends myself.

Give them a bash though, you may find it's worth it.

Andy