Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker players

Pookus

Scott Reeder (Kyuss' third and best bassist)
Nick Oliveri (in his kyuss days)
Dominic Aitchison (Mogwai)
Cliff Burton (Metallica)
Chris Wolstenholme (Muse, okay, only a few songs live, but still)
Jesse Keeler (Death from above 1979)
The guy out of do make say think

Edited by bobbass4k

[quote name='Delberthot' post='372037' date='Jan 6 2009, 02:39 PM']I think 'I'm Rick James Bitch' only posed for the album cover. I heard he didn't really use one.

Roger Waters
Pete Quaife (Kinks)
Donovan

John Deacon did use one but had changed to a P before joining Queen

Someone on the Rickresource has Maurice Gibb's old white Rick

John Entwhistle had one of the first 1999 models

Mike Rutherford used a 4080 double neck in Genesis, Geddy also used a 4080.[/quote]

Rick James used it occasionally, just preferred his Stingray. Andy Winters has Maurice's old bass. Mike didn't use a 4080, he had his doubleneck put together from a separate bass and guitar.

Glenn Hughes used one briefly, as did Geezer Butler; Neil Brewer of Druid used one (I know 'cause i've played it), as did Jon Camp of Renaissance, as did Dave Meros (Spock's Beard), as did whatsisname ?!) from Wishbone Ash, Stanley Clarke (a 4000), Pete Trewavas from Marillion.....have we got Roger Waters? Mike Rutherford also played an RM1999. Doubtless there are loads of others I've temporarily forgotten...oh, the bloke from Manfred Mann is another (my memory fails me regarding his name and I can't be bothered looking it up).

Edited by 4000

Glenn Hughes for a while after he initially replaced Glover in Purple. Didn't like it apparently and switched to Fenders. Think he plays Vigiers now, as does Glover (but different models). Pete Trewavas in Marillion played a ric in the early days. In fact loads of neo prog bands in the early 80's had ric players in them as a result of Squire and Rutherford. Wasn't Rutherford's original doubleneck actually 2 separate rics lashed together before they brought out a propr official Ric twin neck?

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' post='373142' date='Jan 7 2009, 03:25 PM']Glenn Hughes for a while after he initially replaced Glover in Purple. Didn't like it apparently and switched to Fenders. Think he plays Vigiers now, as does Glover (but different models). Pete Trewavas in Marillion played a ric in the early days. In fact loads of neo prog bands in the early 80's had ric players in them as a result of Squire and Rutherford. Wasn't Rutherford's original doubleneck actually 2 separate rics lashed together before they brought out a propr official Ric twin neck?[/quote]

See my prior post for much of that info. :)

BTW, Glenn plays Manne Soulmover basses. For now....

Edited by 4000

Sorry 4000, I just saw the big chunk you'd quoted from someone else and skipped your post with the Hughes et al details. That'll teach me. It's a few years back I saw Glenn so he's obviously switched again, was definitely on Vigiers not all that long ago, might even been an endorsee. I think he used Fernandes for a while too much longer ago but straying off the point. Anyone catching the 'prog at the bbc' on BBC4 would have seen Martin Turner using a ric on that clip of WA. If we're gpoing for obscure players has anyone mentioned Martin Gordon?

• 4 years later...

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1231276118' post='372429']
Stanley Clarke (a 4000)
[/quote]

Quite so: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lFP-alYNq5I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lFP-alYNq5I[/url]

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1359734904' post='1959615']
The guy in Hot Chocolate
The guy in Pallas
[/quote]

If we're talking the white 'ric' in Hot Chocolate I think that's actually a John Birch lookalike ;)
I interviewed Graeme Murray before a Pallas gig in the mid 80's as I was doing a rock show on Hospital Radio at the time. I mentioned I'd recently started teaching myself bass and without batting an eyelid he asked if I wanted a go on his main gigging ric! I only played on it unplugged sat on the drummers stool but it was a cool moment.

Edited by KevB