Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker players

Pookus

[quote name='uptonmark' post='371346' date='Jan 5 2009, 08:26 PM']geddy lee[/quote]

Believe it or not I am related (through marriage) to Geddy Lee. Nancy (nee Young) has the same great grandfather as me. My mum went to visit them and stayed in their house in Toronto a while ago - though she didn't know who Geddy Lee was bless her!

[quote name='Pookus' post='371361' date='Jan 5 2009, 08:37 PM']Believe it or not I am related (through marriage) to Geddy Lee. Nancy (nee Young) has the same great grandfather as me. My mum went to visit them and stayed in their house in Toronto a while ago - though she didn't know who Geddy Lee was bless her![/quote]
Now there's a claim to fame.

[quote name='SJA' post='371531' date='Jan 5 2009, 11:40 PM']the bloke who played the high basslines in Ned's Atomic Dustbin.
(the other bassist played a stingray)[/quote]

True! Alex played Peter Hook type melodies and chords while Matt did the traditional bottom-end stuff. Good fun live!

My contribution - Jerry Only's heavily modified Rick in t'early Misfits.

[quote name='teej' post='371601' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:07 AM']Somewhere I've got a Parliament double live album c'77, gatefold sleeve with loads of tiny pics inside - can't put my hands on it right now, but I remember seeing quite a few of Bootsy with a Rick...[/quote]

Check out this performance from 1977 in Houston. The bassist (not Bootsy) has a Rick.

Strange how few players are associated with such a high-profile instrument!

A few more:

Paul D'Amour, original Tool bassist
Nicky Wire, Manics
Chris Glen, SAHB etc

Rob Trujillo recently turned up playing one & there's an ancient pic going round of John Deacon with a 4001.

Jon.

[quote name='The Funk' post='371738' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:55 AM']Check out this performance from 1977 in Houston. The bassist (not Bootsy) has a Rick.[/quote]

Ha! That's bloody marvellous!

Got me wondering tho' - maybe it's that guy that I'm remembering, not Bootsy. Sadly it's been a long time since my vinyl saw the light of day, after the drive belt (or rubber band, if you prefer) on my aged turntable stretched!

[quote name='teej' post='371859' date='Jan 6 2009, 12:09 PM']Ha! That's bloody marvellous!

Got me wondering tho' - maybe it's that guy that I'm remembering, not Bootsy. Sadly it's been a long time since my vinyl saw the light of day, after the drive belt (or rubber band, if you prefer) on my aged turntable stretched![/quote]

I love that clip. We do a version of Red Hot Mama too - it's so much fun.

Get a new record player! They're not that expensive these days. Otherwise, maybe you could donate your vinyl to me! :)

I think 'I'm Rick James Bitch' only posed for the album cover. I heard he didn't really use one.

Roger Waters
Pete Quaife (Kinks)
Donovan

John Deacon did use one but had changed to a P before joining Queen

Someone on the Rickresource has Maurice Gibb's old white Rick

John Entwhistle had one of the first 1999 models

Mike Rutherford used a 4080 double neck in Genesis, Geddy also used a 4080.