Why become a member? ×

OD/distortion which one?

Rayman

Not being patronising, but to clear things up (in my opinion):
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it's short. i thought the ODB3 i owned was a piece of sh*te to be blunt, however i hated it because i found it to sound somewhat thin and the settings that worked well with 2 guitarists and a drummer used to feedback like hell... BUT i used to get some wicked lead sounds out of it when used with some wah.

to know the true extent of effects, you need to play around with every setting possible, try different basses, playing styles, amps and of course in a band situation. for example i thought i found bass overdrive heaven by using 3 pedals for my overdrive sound... it was amazing through both my little practice combo and my gig rig... however, with a full band in the mix, it got lost... hella fast.

bassmankev, i know that every now and then there's some sparks on this forum but seriously try running your board through a proper bass rig and you will know exactly what i'm talking about. My RogerMayer Voodoobass sounds a bit "bleh" through my combo... running it through my rig live with a band, it cuts through really well, retains all my low end and fills out our sound really well. My old secondary school used to have that Torque 30W combo, and to be frank, it is a really thin sounding amp, even for a combo. Trust me, run your board through say, a 500w Ashdown, Trace, Ampeg etc rig and you'll be shocked at how different all of your effects will sound (some will sound worse, some will sound better).

sorry if i'm coming across as a t*at, it's just this forum is all about sharing experiences, and i'm just putting forward my experiences with effects in different situations :)

to the op, sorry I can't really come out with any decent suggestions because i've been up all night.. no sleep and i'm pretty wired from all of the nicotine and caffeine coursing through my veins lol.

I'll ditto what he says. I have a Fender Frontman as my practice amp. And my effects did sound pretty muddy and crap through it. At the time though I wasn't really thinking about getting a new amp. Until I went to practice with a friend, I put it through a half decent amp and...wow...my Big Muff was singing. Which then forced me to put an amp to the top of my priorities list.

So now I'm running everything through an Ashdown ABM115-500 and it's blissful. Really works well with all my effects (apart from my Phase 90 which I might get modded). So yeah...to be honest if I were you I'd put that to the top of my list. If you were to get a decent Ashdown/Trace Elliot/GK etc. combo you won't be disappointed.

The next step after trying them through a 'decent' rig is to forget the rig just like every sound engineer will and get used to the sound of you fx through your amps DI, or even a DI box being reproduced by the PA which, obviously, is not designed like your amp to make things sound all nice for bass. You will forever be at the mercy of the soundman! (Unless he's got the decency to mic you up)

[quote name='G-bitch' post='40415' date='Aug 2 2007, 02:37 PM']You will forever be at the mercy of the soundman! (Unless he's got the decency to mic you up)[/quote]

Thas is way a serious band needs to have its own sound guy! I know that it rises up the cost but you have your own sound!

It is a great problem, especially when using a great FX setup, made even more so if you are forced to use the provided backline by the organisers. If the soundman can mix well, often you can retain alot of the low end, be it you may have to alter a few settings on the amp, but wether or not you have that beautiful mix being pumped back at you is another problem, partly why i am considering buying some kind of bass driver/DI, such as the SansAmp Bass Driver, however wouldnt that completely bypass the mix from the amp and almost making having the amp there pointless?

Forget the ibanez pd-7! Sell it and buy my amazing Crowther Hotcake XLF (extra low frequencies) :) It is really a great pedal, I am selling it because i'm not in a band at the moment and need the cash! Consider it :huh: Just go to my for sale thread in my sig and listen to that video :huh:.

[quote name='Maximus' post='44022' date='Aug 10 2007, 10:38 PM']Forget the ibanez pd-7! Sell it and buy my amazing Crowther Hotcake XLF (extra low frequencies) :) It is really a great pedal, I am selling it because i'm not in a band at the moment and need the cash! Consider it :huh: Just go to my for sale thread in my sig and listen to that video :huh:.[/quote]

Aha! The only distortion pedal I've stuck with for any great length of time. I love the sound from this pedal. The ODB3 is the sort of starter distortion pedal in my opinion. It's a place to start, if only to decide what is and what isn't good. Jam jars, wasps, say no more.

[quote name='Muppet' post='44034' date='Aug 10 2007, 11:01 PM']Aha! The only distortion pedal I've stuck with for any great length of time. I love the sound from this pedal. The ODB3 is the sort of starter distortion pedal in my opinion. It's a place to start, if only to decide what is and what isn't good. Jam jars, wasps, say no more.[/quote]

Just bought one new for £30 (boss odb-3) its not bad like, but yes very waspy at higher gain settings

[quote name='Rayman' post='38960' date='Jul 30 2007, 01:51 PM']I'm after some quick advice, as I need to get the pedal asap.

I need an overdrive/distortion pedal, fairly cheap as I can't afford boutique stuff at the moment. It's for a couple of Muse covers and other bits and bobs in the set, so I need something with some real distortion not just nice overdrive.

Used or new, don't care, I just need it quick, but I don't want something totally crap, it needs to be a decent pedal. I've heard mixed reports on the OD-3, is the Ibanez PD-7 Phat head any good? Is the little Behringer BOD-1 any good?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

MXR Bass Blowtorch is great. Maybe a little pricey but the best Ive ever had. :)

[quote name='Muse_Cubed' post='44720' date='Aug 13 2007, 09:56 AM']The Blowtorch is good for the killer-bees-attacking-the-man-with-the-chainsaw sound but I've not really found much else with it. It doesn't sustain enough for my liking. But it's good at what it does. I think it probably needs major fiddlage.[/quote]

I agree with that... I hated it and I honestly can't understand how anyone can think that is a good or even usable bass distortion pedal, so I get quite surprised when some people here praise it... The samples on the MXR website are quite accurate and they're awful as well... Just like an 18v Boss to me...