Why become a member? ×

OD/distortion which one?

Rayman

I'm after some quick advice, as I need to get the pedal asap.

I need an overdrive/distortion pedal, fairly cheap as I can't afford boutique stuff at the moment. It's for a couple of Muse covers and other bits and bobs in the set, so I need something with some real distortion not just nice overdrive.

Used or new, don't care, I just need it quick, but I don't want something totally crap, it needs to be a decent pedal. I've heard mixed reports on the OD-3, is the Ibanez PD-7 Phat head any good? Is the little Behringer BOD-1 any good?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

i reccommend the boss odb-3, certainly for muse stuff, can be used as a clean boost, mild overrive, and fairly high gain distortion.

some people think it is tinny, and the hiss annoys some people, but those 2 problems are both solved by turning down the high eq and gain

so ye id go for the odb-3

Hmmm odb-3 eh? well there's certainly plenty of them on the bay, I'm not sure if that's because they're popular or because everyone's trying to get rid of theirs? It's certainly the logical choice as it seems to be a standard pedal board regular, I just wondered what else there was around.

The panic to get one is over, as I needed it for Wednesday, that won't happen now, so I've got more time to look around.

[quote name='Higgie' post='39053' date='Jul 30 2007, 04:23 PM']How much are you looking to spend?[/quote]

Erm, well I guess £40 or there abouts, less if possible. I can't remember if you had something on your list? If I can find a second hand unit all the better.

[quote name='Rayman' post='39069' date='Jul 30 2007, 04:44 PM']Erm, well I guess £40 or there abouts, less if possible. I can't remember if you had something on your list? If I can find a second hand unit all the better.[/quote]

I have a Tech21 Comptortion for £60 (inc. postage)...It's a great distortion pedal. Ant and Toasted will tell you the same :)

Edited by Higgie

Yeah I just had a look at your list. Tempting, It's a bit more than I wanted to spend really. I'm not generally big on effects, but need some for this new band, I'll give it some thought, thanks.

[quote name='Rayman' post='38960' date='Jul 30 2007, 01:51 PM']I'm after some quick advice, as I need to get the pedal asap.

I need an overdrive/distortion pedal, fairly cheap as I can't afford boutique stuff at the moment. It's for a couple of Muse covers and other bits and bobs in the set, so I need something with some real distortion not just nice overdrive.

Used or new, don't care, I just need it quick, but I don't want something totally crap, it needs to be a decent pedal. I've heard mixed reports on the OD-3, is the Ibanez PD-7 Phat head any good? Is the little Behringer BOD-1 any good?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

For that price and for what you need it for, you can't beat the PD7. It does Muse very well on the Distortion setting. I owned that one and the ODB-3 which I think is rubbish. But if you need very mild overdrive, the ODB-3 does it better (although it's rubbish sounding anyway). The PD7 on its lowest drive setting, still has a bit more than I wanted at times...

The other option would be to find a Russian Big Muff 2nd hand on eBay...

You know man, i wouldnt put it past the Behringer if you only want it for one or two tracks! I couldnt fault mine at all when i had it, in fact i was quite sore to see it go, but i have a GT6 now.

I know youve already bought a pedal, but if that dosnt work for you, 15 quid for the BOD will go a long way!

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='39102' date='Jul 30 2007, 05:29 PM']For that price and for what you need it for, you can't beat the PD7. It does Muse very well on the Distortion setting. I owned that one and the ODB-3 which I think is rubbish. But if you need very mild overdrive, the ODB-3 does it better (although it's rubbish sounding anyway). The PD7 on its lowest drive setting, still has a bit more than I wanted at times...

The other option would be to find a Russian Big Muff 2nd hand on eBay...[/quote]

dude everyone has an opinion, but just slating the odb-3 off as 'rubbish' is jus ridicoulous, its a great sounding pedal if you know how to use the eq and blend

[quote name='BassManKev' post='39308' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:47 PM']dude everyone has an opinion, but just slating the odb-3 off as 'rubbish' is jus ridicoulous, its a great sounding pedal if you know how to use the eq and blend[/quote]

He said "I think it's rubbish" ... he's allowed his opinion just as much as you are yours. If we're ruling by consensus here's another "aye" against your "nay" on the ODB3 being rubbish. I make that 2:1 :)

[quote name='Higgie' post='39083' date='Jul 30 2007, 05:01 PM']I have a Tech21 Comptortion for £60 (inc. postage)...It's a great distortion pedal. Ant and Toasted will tell you the same :)[/quote]

ANYTHING by Tech 21 is good in my book!

[quote name='Toasted' post='39316' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:59 PM']He said "I think it's rubbish" ... he's allowed his opinion just as much as you are yours. If we're ruling by consensus here's another "aye" against your "nay" on the ODB3 being rubbish. I make that 2:1 :)[/quote]
i know, what i meant was i dont think just sayin it is 'rubbish' is gunna help the thread starter, giving reasons as to why it is so 'rubbish' would be much more helpful, dont you think?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='39319' date='Jul 31 2007, 12:20 AM']i know, what i meant was i dont think just sayin it is 'rubbish' is gunna help the thread starter, giving reasons as to why it is so 'rubbish' would be much more helpful, dont you think?[/quote]

I would also agree with saying it is rubbish, and if you say I don't know what I'm talking about or how to use it ............ well need I say more. Frankly I feel your usage of effects is limited mainly due to the amp you own and it won't reproduce many of the sounds effects make, I've used 150w 1x15 trace combo's and hardly been able to hear when a Digitech Bass Synth Wah is on with a massive synth sweep so i dread to think what you can or can't hear on yours.

End of the day the ODB-3 is widely regarded by many if not most as a POS if you love it great for you but I wouldn't start defending it as its a battle you are never going to win I've heard it used by many a different bassist live and everytime it has left me very very unimpressed and the noise that thing puts out is ridiculous and I find that people that recommend it are doing a disservice to bass players everywhere.

Personally for Muse stuff I would have picked the Danelectro French Toast and a TB Loop, its about as synthy as you can get and is new for £25 another good one would be the Ibanez SB-7 synth as really when have muse ever used a straight a head distortion sound a synth or octave up fuzz has always suited better IMO.

What tayste said. I also hated my ODB. You don't really need to explain rubbish, it's like "sounds like rubbish to me". It doesn't have to have a "deeper" reason like compressing highs or missing lows or blikibliking mids, if you think the sound is crap then it's crap. Easy.

i dont have a bass synth wah

so your honestly telling me when you hear the odb-3 goin through flea's setup, you dont like that sound?

each to our own i guess

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='39340' date='Jul 31 2007, 06:15 AM']i dont have a bass synth wah

so your honestly telling me when you hear the odb-3 goin through flea's setup, you dont like that sound?

each to our own i guess[/quote]

For the 10 seconds he uses it each set I hate it yes, it sounds terrible overly harsh and he next to next uses it mid song with John also playing TBH I've only really heard him use it at the beginning of Around the World and it's not really a fair comparison because Flea playing an ODB-3 in a Stadium with all the outboard gear that is available him is ever so slightly different than playing some muse covers in a pub or club.

The odb-3 sounds crap if you don't have an amp with a tweeter speaker! But if you do nothing beats its bottom end high distortion sound!

I've tried many bootique and other distortion and overdrive pedals the previous 3 months (ebs, t-rex, fulltone, sansamp, ibanez) and I've ended up on keeping the ebs multidrive for mellow and low gain tube like overdrive (AMAZING pedal for the job) and the boss odb-3 for heavy distortion sounds(Muse like, or Around the World like) because no pedal from the above list can go there! It also depends on what kind of bass you play! I only like the sound of the odb with my stingray! When I play with my Jazz and Rick I prefer the EBS due to the different gain and sound of the single coils!

But as tayste pointed out it really is up to the amp you use! I play with a gallien krueger 400rb and 2 mesa boogie cabs! But when I connect my pedalboard to my little Roland Cube 30 at home on low volumes you can't really tell the difference!