Why become a member? ×

Clear out time – how to rationalise gear?!

G-bitch

Right I’m moving to Bristol and moving in with the better half, the result of which is having much less space available so I’ve got to rationalise the possessions. Upon examination, it would appear that I own two groups of things that take up room – music gear and bicycles. The latter can be kept in a garage/shed but I’m going to have to clear a lot of gear out to fit alongside a guest bed and desk etc.

I’m hoping to get into a new band either on bass, vocals or both – it’ll probably be a straight up bloody row rather than the two piece experimentalist stuff I’m currently doing which requires (justifies anyway) the vast amount of effects!

There are some things which are definitely keeps: Ampeg V4, Marshall VBC 412, G&L L2000, Shuker 6, vocal rig (Safesound audio mic-pre + boss vf1), Fulltone bassdrive, Keeley modded RAT, Sansamp BDDI.

This leaves quite a few other things which I’m not sure whether to sell or not:

 Mackie SRM450 (+ plus nice gator wheelie padded case)
 De-Armond Ashbury rubber stringed mofo (currently used for hip-hop covers and not much else)
 Frankenstein P bass with moses graphite J neck, cheap ass body and sub-par construction – still sounds damn good mind! Would probably part this out rather than inflict my dodgy drilling and shielding on anyone.
 SX Gibson les paul copy – don’t play it, probably never will either.. but it’s nice to have a guitar around right? (you’re seeing my problem now aren’t you?!)
 Pedalboard – the largest one available from Flightcase warehouse/Spider engineering. Must remove stickers to sell!
 Custom two loop loooper
 Akai unibass
 Behringer V-amp 2
 Akai Deep Impact
 Korg Bass Pandora (3 I think that takes 9v adaptor and AAA batteries)
 Sansamp programmable BDDI
 Other pedals including Guyatone MD3 delay and MC2 chorus, EH bassballs, Danelectro PB&J.
 Miscellaneous items: Axess Electronics BS2 buffered guitar splitter, MTR big beefy ass 2 amp 9v power supply, Korg tuner, Behringer shark

I can’t see myself using any of the pedals again – keeping the best OD and distortion pedals I’ve ever used is enough for me. I’m really split on the Mackie as this has been used a fair bit with a band that didn’t rehearse at rehearsal studios so needed a vocal amp – how likely is it that this’ll be needed d’ya reckon? I also kind of love the Ashbury but don’t want to have it collecting dust.

Basically, what would you keep based upon amount of space it takes up and ease of getting replacement should I kick myself for selling (that’s the second Bassdrive I’m on)?

You've gotta be brutal. Just apply two criteria... 1)are you likely to use it, and 2)are you really actually sentimentally attached to it. If not, flog it, and ignore any thoughts of "yeah but it's nice to have around"... It's the only way to shift things.

Keep the Mackie, The two Akai pedals and the guitar. Flog the rest and buy a decent quality multi FX unit second hand - either rackmount or floor based.

Could I have a price on the Korg Pandora by the way? :) I love mine and dread the day it finally dies. If I didn;t keep it, I have a few bass playing friends that would appreciate it.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='39086' date='Jul 30 2007, 05:05 PM']Keep the Mackie, The two Akai pedals and the guitar. Flog the rest and buy a decent quality multi FX unit second hand - either rackmount or floor based.

Could I have a price on the Korg Pandora by the way? :) I love mine and dread the day it finally dies. If I didn;t keep it, I have a few bass playing friends that would appreciate it.[/quote]

No worries - email your way.

Cheers,

Graham

[quote name='Rich' post='39045' date='Jul 30 2007, 04:14 PM']You've gotta be brutal. Just apply two criteria... 1)are you likely to use it, and 2)are you really actually sentimentally attached to it. If not, flog it, and ignore any thoughts of "yeah but it's nice to have around"... It's the only way to shift things.[/quote]

Exactly! I'm thus stable at ~1 rig (two cabs but one rack), ~1 bass (fretless on longterm loan, custom in process), ~1 FX pedal (just won a Blowtorch, my other 4 are with my guitarist). Everything else is with a new owner and is hopefully getting used. And my bank balance is a lot more cheerful than it once was...

I swear the more gear you have, the harder it gets to make music!

Alex

[quote]Frankenstein P bass with moses graphite J neck, cheap ass body and sub-par construction – still sounds damn good mind! Would probably part this out rather than inflict my dodgy drilling and shielding on anyone[/quote]

Could be interested in the P Bass, or should I say I could be interested in the Moses neck. let me know if you decide to part company.
Cheers,
Stuart

I think the Deep Impact will probably go - don't want it collecting dust when I can turn it into cash. I'll probably leave it another couple of months before the pedals go up for sale as I've got some jamming lined up with my drummer before I move!