Why become a member? ×

ace pro basses?

Kev

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='75610' date='Oct 17 2007, 03:04 PM']Or just give it a Korean name! Nobody has to know what it means, but I'm sure even "Ace Pro" in any mysterious foreign language has got to sound cool... I've got a "Flying" bass which I picked up for £60 - no apparent logic behind the naming and I've never managed to find any info about the company or any other Flying basses - you'd think they'd have more business sense than to name their product after some random English word...[/quote]

Ha ha yeah but then there are famous tales of that, especially in cars Nova means "it don't go" in Spanish and MR2 pronounced in French means poo ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='75614' date='Oct 17 2007, 03:14 PM']Ha ha yeah but then there are famous tales of that, especially in cars Nova means "it don't go" in Spanish and MR2 pronounced in French means poo ...[/quote]

Don't forget the Mitsubishi Starion - the next one up from the Colt.

I think they do more work on the names now, or it would have been marketed as the "Frying" bass. :)

Hamster

I would consider an Ace-Pro 6 string for the simple reason that it's a good price to try and see if I wanted/needed/liked a six string bass. Also I suffer from severe inverted snobbery and quite like people turning their nose up at the no name gear! I, like a lot of others i suspect, am also stupid enough to spend a cumulative fortune in small amounts just hoping beyond hope that one day I end up with a real fantastic instrument at a give away price. I know the economics don't add up and I do own a Stingray (but at £500 I reckon it was a bargain) and it is an utterly superb instrument with a fantastic sound and lovely to play - definitely not just a name.
All that notwithstanding I bought my first 5 string mail order and ok it needed a really good set up but is beautiful and plays well (J&D BTW) and I use Behringer kit and Epifani and Eden and there is no marked quality leap between them. Which bass do I pick up first when i want to noodle? £100 Westone just cos it feels lovely to play.
Go on - buy one and tell us all what it's like!!

[quote name='stewblack' post='75687' date='Oct 17 2007, 06:32 PM']Go on - buy one and tell us all what it's like!![/quote]

I'm actually tempted to do so, but considering the spec, it's probably not gonna be better than my current 6-string in any way, so this'll have to wait until someone can give me a good enough reason to need a spare 6-string which I certainly don't have room for!
That said, I'll recommend Ace Pro and hopefully persuade someone else to buy the 6-string so they can tell us what it's like

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4421&hl=ace+pro"]Actually, come to think of it...[/url]

Edited by queenofthedepths

Just spoke to the guy who does my set ups for me and he was hesitant about buying mail order if it's a thru neck. The trouble he had with my J&D getting the angle right led him to suggest trying it out first. I see Shine also do a six string for under £150. Again, it may not be top drawer - who'd expect it to be at that price? but it could be a way to give a 6er a real good go. I've never regretted the cheap 5 as I learned to play 5 string without shelling out a fortune. Now of course i want a Bongo 5. Ho hum.

Just had a look around their website as well...

They've definately got something for everybody from 'violin' basses through to Les Paul look-alikes. A tempting budget brand, especially if you're thinking of a completely new type of bass 6 or 8 string...

If only they did a 12...

Talking about their naming convention.........I was amused to see that the Blue Glass range is actualy a range of country type instruments...............now what's that banjo oriented c&w'ish genre called, ah Blue Gr..............

Apologies to any Korean visitors to the site, I'm not a racist, just had a Bill Murray moment.

S

[quote name='gafbass02' post='77918' date='Oct 22 2007, 09:40 PM']curious to know if there jazz basses could be modded with available parts, such as a wd neck, pickguards etc or would they just not fit, anyone know?[/quote]
Why? If they are any good dont change them. If they are cheap sh*t and you mod them you have still got cheap sh*t.

In my experience, Shine basses have been great VFM. I first bought the 6 stringer (SB-56 I think) and that was fantastic for £150. Just the normal things on cheap basses; a few sharp frets, finish a little rough round the edges, needed a decent set-up but after getting it properly set-up and some new strings on, it was great. Only sold it because I wanted to try 6 strings and the neck was too wide for my likings.
The second one I bought was the Stingray copy in a shop for £140. This time the shop had set it up properly and they chucked in some Super Slinkys for £5 - pretty good deal I thought. This was another good bass. Just as good, if not better than the OLP Stingrays and £100 cheaper.

This is the 6'er I had: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Shine-6-String-Active-Bass-Guitar-Sunburst_W0QQitemZ270180820563QQihZ017QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Shine SB-56[/url]

Edited by Stan_da_man

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='80837' date='Oct 29 2007, 05:49 PM']In my experience, Shine basses have been great VFM.[/quote]
Thanks for the review - this is the 6er I've been toying with getting, and I have a great guitar tech just up the road who I swear could raise the dead and make them sing in tune.

[quote name='stewblack' post='81126' date='Oct 30 2007, 09:07 AM']Thanks for the review - this is the 6er I've been toying with getting, and I have a great guitar tech just up the road who I swear could raise the dead and make them sing in tune.[/quote]

Got his big gig tomorrow night then?
:)

• 12 years later...