Why become a member? ×

ace pro basses?

Kev

anyone heard anything about them? they seem to have a very good spec for the price

take this 6 string:

[url="http://www.themusicking.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=5081&cat=16&nav=12"]http://www.themusicking.co.uk/proddetail.p...t=16&nav=12[/url]

what ya reckon?

As long as the wood is ok and the neck is straight, the only things you might want/have to replace are the pickups, controls, tuners, bridge, nut and strings.

Then again, a money back guarantee if you don't like it, (check out the T&C)

Hamster

[quote name='BassManKev' post='39345' date='Jul 31 2007, 07:53 AM']anyone heard anything about them? they seem to have a very good spec for the price

take this 6 string:

[url="http://www.themusicking.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=5081&cat=16&nav=12"]http://www.themusicking.co.uk/proddetail.p...t=16&nav=12[/url]

what ya reckon?[/quote]

There's only one way to find out ... get one, try it and let us know :)

I was intrigued for several months by Music King's ad's in "Guitar & Bass" magazine which always show a really tasty looking 6-string bass for a mere £189 - at this price I'd have been sorely tempted to venture out of my 4-string comfort zone.

Problem is, every time I tried to check it out on TheMusicKing.co.uk website, there was nothing there remotely matching the description in the advert!?

I gave up looking after a while and had to release my pent up GAS elsewhere. Maybe it was for the best.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='39371' date='Jul 31 2007, 09:14 AM']You get what you pay for.[/quote]
And a lot of the time what you're paying for is the prestige of a brand name.

I've never played an Ace Pro brand bass - but my assumption is that they're Chinese or Korean built instruments. Ace Pro won't be a manufacturer, just an importer's brand name. The quality of instruments coming from China & Korea is surprisingly high these days - broadly speaking they're far better than most of the budget stuff from the 70s & 80s. There's every likelihood they're coming off the same production lines as Ibanez, Aria, Cort & many other better-known Oriental brands.

If I was after a 6er, I'd certainly be interested in looking at one of these.

Jon.

Just looked at the 6-string on the website via one of the links and notice that it's a through-neck.

This makes it look even more of a bargain, but you'd need to know that the angle of the neck relative to the body is OK and that it's going to stay that way after 6 strings pulling on it for several years . At least with a bolt-on neck you can always put a shim in the neck joint, but this isn't an option on a through neck and sometimes adjusting the truss-rod isn't enough on its own.

If it's been put together properly it should be fine, but even at £189 I'd either want to try it out before I buy, or have a recommendation from someone who's checked one out.

I tried a Peavey Grind 6er at Music Live and was astounded at the quality of the thing for the money, especially with the through-neck construction. Thing is with budget instruments is you have to watch the quality control - as Bassassin says, it's a lot better these days but trying before you buy is always the best advice. I'd be wary of mail-ordering anything 'budget' personally but with some things it's not always possible to try first.

Edited by niceguyhomer

[quote name='Bassassin' post='39759' date='Jul 31 2007, 10:36 PM']And a lot of the time what you're paying for is the prestige of a brand name.[/quote]

Well yes.. and playing a Name bass transfers that prestige to the person wearing it. You pay your extra dollar for the benefits these things bring.
These no name basses may easily as good as a name bass, the savings being in the costs of manufacture, but there's so much more to the "value" of a bass than the way it looks, plays and sounds.

[quote name='OldGit' post='39907' date='Aug 1 2007, 11:12 AM']Well yes.. and playing a Name bass transfers that prestige to the person wearing it. You pay your extra dollar for the benefits these things bring.
These no name basses may easily as good as a name bass, the savings being in the costs of manufacture, but there's so much more to the "value" of a bass than the way it looks, plays and sounds.[/quote]
I can't put into words how glad I am that I don't share that viewpoint.

My band recently played a couple of gigs in Northern Ireland, as guests of a local band. Their bassist has a lovely Warwick Corvette 6er which probably cost more than all of my no-name oriental cheapos put together. I'm delighted to say he was drooling over the tone I got from my £60 JapCrap CSL jazz copy - and now has me looking out for one for him! :)

And anyway, let's face it - Joe Punter couldn't tell an Ace Pro from a Fodera! :huh:

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='40056' date='Aug 1 2007, 03:59 PM']I can't put into words how glad I am that I don't share that viewpoint.

My band recently played a couple of gigs in Northern Ireland, as guests of a local band. Their bassist has a lovely Warwick Corvette 6er which probably cost more than all of my no-name oriental cheapos put together. I'm delighted to say he was drooling over the tone I got from my £60 JapCrap CSL jazz copy - and now has me looking out for one for him! :huh:

And anyway, let's face it - Joe Punter couldn't tell an Ace Pro from a Fodera! :huh:

J.[/quote]

:) Yup
You lucky man
I've had that experience before too - almost .. guy at the jam I go to now and then has a Marlin P bass, aincient strings, one knob missing, through a HH head and a Vox cab. Total retail value about 50 quid. Sounds great.

It's kinda depressing sometimes :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='40063' date='Aug 1 2007, 04:08 PM']:) Yup
You lucky man
I've had that experience before too - almost .. guy at the jam I go to now and then has a Marlin P bass, aincient strings, one knob missing, through a HH head and a Vox cab. Total retail value about 50 quid. Sounds great.

It's kinda depressing sometimes :huh:[/quote]

:huh: - Just as well I never mentioned my Behringer head & ancient Peavey 1x15 then! :huh: :huh:

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='40081' date='Aug 1 2007, 04:47 PM']:huh: - Just as well I never mentioned my Behringer head & ancient Peavey 1x15 then! :huh: :huh:

J.[/quote]

Ha ha I love Peavey 1x15's specially the BW's .. Nowt wrong with them .. I'm too posh for behringer though :)

Totally agree - good gear doesn't have to be expensive gear. I happily admit to buying my Westone in preference to the Fender Precision the shop tried to palm me off with (still not regretting it over 20 years later). My £99 Stagg fretless is another good piece of kit - even if I have modified it slightly.

I'd really like that AcePro 6-string to turn out to be a well-made bass. The badge on the headstock (or lack of it) wouldn't sway me one way or the other if the bass was well made - I'd certainly have one.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='41842' date='Aug 6 2007, 10:29 AM']I'd like to try the 8-stringer. Always been a concept/sound that's fascinated me! Might save up a few pennies and take the risk :) Did anyone see that they do a jazz bass for £70 as well??[/quote]
I'm quite tempted by the 8-string too, I really like it looks wise. The only feedback I can find on an Ace Pro instrument is a review of a 12-string guitar on Harmony Central, the owner admits it's not perfect but is very happy for the price. I may be feeling rich enough someday soon to take a leap of faith and get the 8-string. I'll keep you posted

• 1 month later...

I've just bought one of these 8-strings myself and I have to say that it has exceeded my expectations by far! Obviously you're not gonna get a high-end bass for this price, but it it's certainly surprisingly good - if there's a significantly better 8-string available for less than twice as much, I'd be surprised - I'd definitely recommend these to all but the absolute fussiest

[quote name='OldGit' post='75587' date='Oct 17 2007, 02:31 PM']Yeah You'd think they could find a native English speaker somewhere in Korea to advise on that stuff...[/quote]
Or just give it a Korean name! Nobody has to know what it means, but I'm sure even "Ace Pro" in any mysterious foreign language has got to sound cool... I've got a "Flying" bass which I picked up for £60 - no apparent logic behind the naming and I've never managed to find any info about the company or any other Flying basses - you'd think they'd have more business sense than to name their product after some random English word...

Edited by queenofthedepths