Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for compact, good quality practise amp.

G-bitch

Right, I dont get on with using a headphone amp - I just want to plug in and noodle without getting sweaty ears and having a cable trailing!

Any suggestions on a practise amp with the following criteria:

Small package (like 10" speaker maximum).
Nice quality sound - able to pump a bit of volume without sounding cack (like those Ashdown 'perfect' 10's or little Peavey amps!)
Controls on top would be nice but I'm already being a fussy bugger.

I've mooched a few shops but small practise amps seem to just translate to cheap cack. Oh and budget probably up to £300 ish?

Thanks,

Graham

I'd check out the [url="http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=2345100010"]Fender Bassman 100[/url] if I was you.
I'm planning on buying the 12" 150 model as soon as I sell my Trace Elliot, which shouldn't take much longer, all going well.
The whole Bassman range gets a cracking write up!
Check out the Musician's Friend [url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=98298&g=bass"]Review[/url].
Based on that review I'd be getting the 100 if I didn't need a little extra oomph.
Seems Fender have really pulled the finger out since buying SWR...

Cheers,
Eude

That fender looks good - the Eden/Nemesis is a tad too big/heavy. Thanks for the heads up on that, I just wish there was a shop that stocked this kind of stuff nearby.

Anyone tried one of the little Warwick amps? I've played the bigger combos and thought they were pretty nice but not the little uns. Something like this:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_blue_cab_60.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_blue_cab_60.htm[/url]

Edited by G-bitch

Yeah, I was going to recommend one of the little Warwick ones. Nice tone - that's all you want from a practice amp, right? You won't need much power playing at home. They're very reasonably priced too.

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/blue-cab-30/68766"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/blue-cab-30/68766[/url]

Edited by The Funk

Well if you're looking to go that wee, I'd definitely consider any of the little Peavey numbers.
My lilttle sis has an older version of the Peavey MicroBass and I think it's great!

Really nice tone, and surprisingly loud for the rated wattage, although I've found that with all Peavey stuff.

Bern - I phoned them up as I remembered seeing the line 6 amps in there; they've got the little 110 combo on order for me to try out. It's only a little place and the stock is very limited but it gets my vote as the best music shop in Birmingham. I'm down in Bristol next weekend and I know that one shop has the Warwick combo's and I can always nip into sound control there too.

Of course in reality I know that despite all my best endeavours, like all my other gear, I'm just going to have to mail order it or buy used and hope it sounds ok.

Two combos that haven´t been mentioned:

- Crate BT15. I bought mine two years ago, and it sounds good, is lightweight and reliable.

- Marshall MB15. Tried one in the shop - punchy, full-bodied sound you wouldn´t expect from an amp that small.

Both have 8" speakers and aux-in for play-along practice.

[quote name='Hamster' post='39628' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:29 PM']I've seen/heard a lot worse than this [url="http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.2.3.1-14-16640"]Lowdown 110[/url]

Hamster[/quote]

I've owned a Line 6 Studio 110 for about 6 months now - still happy with it, although it does have a noisy headphone output. As well as having all the things a good practice amp should have, it goes quite loud too, or you can hook it up to a pa if its 75 watts isn't enough.

I really like the modelled tones it offers, using it with both fretted and fretless basses, but these aren't to everyone's taste, so it's worth trying one out before you buy.

love my 110 as well, much better tone than the roland cube 30 IMHO, the headphone output is a little noisy but not enough to put me off. In fact i would use live hooked up to a pa ( not actually tried this yet)

I use a Hartke rig live but my practice amp is a Line6 Lowdown. Love it to bits and have used it for full band practices both on its own for my covers band and with P.A. assistance for my metal band. I have yet to trust it to do a gig but I'm planning on doing my next P.A. assisted one.

According to the Line6 website they've identified the component which causes the hissing headphone output and you can send the first batch back to their designated repairer at your own carriage expense to get it fixed on warrantee. I don't use this facility so I'm not fussed. Take a set of headphones with you when trying one out to see if it's from the new fixed batch.

[quote name='peted' post='42568' date='Aug 7 2007, 06:03 PM']I use a Hartke rig live but my practice amp is a Line6 Lowdown. Love it to bits and have used it for full band practices both on its own for my covers band and with P.A. assistance for my metal band. I have yet to trust it to do a gig but I'm planning on doing my next P.A. assisted one.

According to the Line6 website they've identified the component which causes the hissing headphone output and you can send the first batch back to their designated repairer at your own carriage expense to get it fixed on warranty. I don't use this facility so I'm not fussed. Take a set of headphones with you when trying one out to see if it's from the new fixed batch.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, line 6 are just up the road from me in Daventry so i may well get this fixed. Interestingly no hiss on the XLR so i may just plug this into my mixer. with this fixed this amp would be an easy 10/10 the tone which comes out of this 12" cube really needs to be heard.

peted , i bet you feel quite smug using it through the PA especially if your guit*r player has a big heavy rig :)

[quote name='TPJ' post='39568' date='Jul 31 2007, 03:53 PM']Sounds like a job for a Roland Cube 100[/quote]

+1 for that. Great amp, light and bloody punchy if needs be. It's the first practice amp I've had that sits behind the sofa but still cuts it at rehearsals. Great models and FX too.
Having said all this, I'll probably be selling mine as I've bought a new head/cab and unlike the original poster, I now play through headphones from my Tascam nearly all the time at home
Chris