Why become a member? ×

DI Recommendations

Old Horse Murphy

Specifically a rack unit, or just one small enough to fit into a rack? You also have the choice of active or passive, depending on where in your signal chain you are putting the DI. Passive *usually* being the cheaper but less flexible solution.

I see Thomann do a rackable DI box. I use a stereo passive DI from 'Palmer'. Cheap as chips, but really good transformers inside. Rumour has it they are Jensens, but I'd need to open her up to take a look! lol.

I'd seriously just go for an MTR DI box - no point in racking something so small. What do you need it for? Reason I ask is that every sound engineer under the sun has a box ful of regular DI boxes so unless you want a 'top quality' unit like the aforementioned Avalon then I'm struggling to see the reason for owning one - unless the XLR out on your amp has kicked the bucket!

Can you give a little more info on intended use etc?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='The Funk' post='40000' date='Aug 1 2007, 02:04 PM']Alex gigs with his Avalon U5 into a power amp. It's not cheap though.[/quote]

+1.
Got an Avalon U5 recently. It is absolutely fantastic. Which is why it's become the industry standard DI for many top 'name' bass players & high-end recording studios.
But - it is also a (very expensive!!!) big heavy box that needs to be cased properly if you want to gig it. The rack kit for it is a rip-off price as well (I use a £20 Alu video camera case that is a perfect fit).