Why become a member? ×

Strap button screw rounded

ronnus

Was trying to fit a set of straplocks, so removed the old strap pin, tried to screw the new one in, the cheesy screwhead stripped when the screw was halfway in. Tried to take it out, same thing, the head is completely rounded so a screwdriver can't grip it. :) Made sure to use correct screwdriver size/type, most annoying!

Anyone have any experience of fixing this, or have any ideas for getting it off? Should I try drilling and tapping it out? Or take it to a shop and let them loose on it?

Won't be trying to refit these Warwick ones, the design of them means the screwhead has to be very small. Got a set of Schallers sitting there, but no, had to try fitting the cool black Warwick ones :huh: :huh:

if it's halfway in then you've still got some of the shaft sticking out. Either, take a file and file the sides of the screwhead square so you can get a purchase on it with a pair of molegrips, or take a small hacksaw blade and file a slot in the top of the screw so that you can use a slotted screwdriver.

Drill and tap - well, you'll need to cut the shaft off first then use a fine reverse thread drill (stud extractor) As it's in wood you don't need to re-tap in the regular sense as any wood screw will do this.

Thanks for the replys guys, I managed to get it sorted. There wasn't enough (actually there wasn't any!) screwhead sticking out to do much with it, but I realised there was just enough space to fit a junior hacksaw blade between the base of the strap button and the body of the bass :) Five minutes of very gentle sawing and some sweating, and I'd cut the head and strap button off. Mole-gripped the couple of millimetres of shaft that remained and managed to extract it.

Fitted the Schaller straplocks in the following 2 minutes. :huh:

Anyone want a free set of Warwick straplocks? One screw missing, some hacksaw blade damage to one button :huh: