Why become a member? ×

buying a bass in hong kong?

steve

hmm, I've never been able to buy a legitimate product from HK, I certainly wouldn't go over there with the intention of spending large amounts of money on musical instruments. Don't forget aswell that many retailers there will double their prices as soon as they seen some European guy walk in..

Hi Steve

If you have chinese contacts, take them shopping with you, the price falls immediately, and your contact can haggle in his own language. It;s quite correct that there are many fakes around, but lots of genuine stuff there too. Also your contact will know the best places to shop. Otherwise your hotel will be able to advise on the best places.

There are plenty of shops in Tsim Sha Tsui (chim sha choi) Kowloon or in Central or Wanchai on Hong Kong side. You should be able to buy cheaper than here, but don't forget about 20% for duty/tax when you get back.

Whether you buy or not, enjoy the trip, it is a great city. A few years since I have been. Ride the Star Ferry, both by day and night. Cost is about HKD 4 now I think, so about 25p each way, and the best 15 minutes you will ever spend. The weather in November is pleasant, expect temps in the low-mid 70's, humid but not too bad, always a chance of a downpour, but they last for 15 minutes and it is sunny again.

Have a gret time.

Steve

I almost bought a guitar in Vietnam - there are a lot of heavily inlaid versions there. start paying attention to the better imports and you'll recognise them when you see them, regardless of the brand name.
one rule is the same no matter what you are buying - the farther you get from the tourist area, the lower the price.
just don't plan on shipping it back, that will eat your savings.

Hi, thanks for all the replies.

I think, weighing up all the answers, I'm leave the bass buying while over thee, unless I stumble across something. It was just a thought since I was taking my family (and my in-laws :huh: ), who hail from hong kong. (they wouldn't have a clue about guitars tho').

I'll just continue with my gas for a cij 75 reissue jazz in white with maple neck and white block inlays :)