Why become a member? ×

Son of a preacher man - Dusty Springfield

dumelow

[quote name='endorka' post='381954' date='Jan 16 2009, 01:50 AM']I have done a full transcription/adaptation of this bassline, but it's in notation only, not tab. Let me know if you'd like me to send it to you - I believe the recorded key is E, right?

Jennifer[/quote]

Dear Jennifer, Could you send it to mee, too. I am desperately seeking a notation of this bass line. Yes, it is recorded in E. All the best from Switzerland

[quote name='endorka' post='381954' date='Jan 16 2009, 01:50 AM']I have done a full transcription/adaptation of this bassline, but it's in notation only, not tab. Let me know if you'd like me to send it to you - I believe the recorded key is E, right?

Jennifer[/quote]
Jennifer, I'd love a copy of that notation if you'd email it to me. The key is definitely E on the Springfield/Cogbill version.

PM sent.

[quote name='boo' post='382171' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:29 PM']There's even one on there for the song your after, though I can't vouch for it's accuracy or usefulness...

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dusty_springfield/son_of_a_preacher_man_btab.htm"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dust...er_man_btab.htm[/url][/quote]
That's a start but I'd say that it's definitely not entirely accurate.

However I doubt Cogbill would have played it the same twice, but the same feel would have been there and that's what matters.

my 2p..

you really ought to get in to the habit of busking this type of song..

It has a classic structure and there is nothing awkward in there chord-wise so just get a copy and play it to death...

This will train your ears to hear 'changes' and intervals and passing notes... which will be a major plus down the line, IMO

[quote name='Weird War' post='381517' date='Jan 15 2009, 06:22 PM']Good tune and those first bars are a great break, used by DJ Muggs in Cypress Hill if I recall correctly.

The bass part is pretty free, as the previous poster, said so I'd get some basics down then suit yourself. Good luck![/quote]

The bass part certainly is free, there's even a massive bass bummer half way into the track....love it!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='381514' date='Jan 15 2009, 06:18 PM']Why play it note for note? Tommy Cogbill busked it. Make it yours and play your take on it.[/quote]

+1 Absolutely. I think we often hold some basslines in too much reverence and feel the need to copy them so slavishly it suppresses our own expression. I've certainly taken to taking the meat and tatties of an original and then making the part my own. Obviously a bit different in tribute bands.

As some have suggested already (including me), I'm all for not copying a line slavishly and for copping the feel instead or even coming up with a wholly new line.

However, I think there's also much to be said for and a lot to be learned from making a close study of the bass lines of great players like Tommy Cogbill.

Similarly, I spent some time studying Ray Charles left hand piano part before I came up with a bass line for [i]Hallelujah, I Love Her So[/i]. I think it took me places I wouldn't have gone without that careful listening to little details.