Why become a member? ×

C*ck-ups

Deep Thought

I'm interested in how many, if any, of you chaps feel that they have reached a state of bass Nirvana and never make cock-ups on stage? Every gig I play I manage to do something wrong somewhere, fumbles, playing in the wrong key, wrong bit at wrong time etc. I tend to judge how well a gig has gone by how many or few bungles I make. Am I alone or does everybody else foul up as well? Is it possible to achieve a state where you can play a perfect, cock-up free set? What are your best/worst onstage disasters?

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='40677' date='Aug 2 2007, 10:38 PM']Get it wrong once, it's a mistake.
Get it wrong twice, it's jazz :)[/quote]

[quote name='Gizmo' post='40680' date='Aug 2 2007, 10:42 PM']"There are no mistakes in jazz only opportunities" - Miles Davis :huh:[/quote]

ah yes... just say you were exploring a different mode... :huh:

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='40677' date='Aug 2 2007, 10:38 PM']Get it wrong once, it's a mistake.
Get it wrong twice, it's jazz :huh:[/quote]

Nice (in a 'jazz club' kind of way) :)

The best way to avoid mistakes is practice. The advice above is still true - even the best players make them occasionally, but when they do, you'd probably never know if you were watching them 'cos they don't screw up their face and telegraph the mistake to the audience, they just get on with it.
Chris

I dont mind the mistakes cos thats live music.

Its when my concentration/attention goes elsewhere (on the dancefloor) and I forget what section of what song that I get slightly humbled! Not good when you are supposed to be the MD!

Must try harder next time...

I never ever ever play a gig without a mistake. It's my unique selling point :)

I used to play in a band with a guitarist who would glare at me everytime he thought I'd made a mistake (and this included playing a minor third rather than the root note he was expecting) ... He didn't last long ...

[quote name='wazz' post='40776' date='Aug 3 2007, 09:22 AM']I dont mind the mistakes cos thats live music.

Its when my concentration/attention goes elsewhere (on the dancefloor) and I forget what section of what song that I get slightly humbled! Not good when you are supposed to be the MD!

Must try harder next time...[/quote]

Ah sounds like you need some TSGs (Totty Sensitive Glasses) They go totally black when there's a distraction on the dancefloor during gigs.

[quote name='OldGit' post='40779' date='Aug 3 2007, 09:25 AM']Ah sounds like you need some TSGs (Totty Sensitive Glasses) They go totally black when there's a distraction on the dancefloor during gigs.[/quote]

And where can I get such lifesaving specs?

Of course its worse when said totty is the bride :)

then again, it could be the brides mother.

hmmmm......

have to admit that it is [i]extremely[/i] rare for myself (or indeed my drummer) to make any mistakes within the current band lineup. (obviously i've probably talked up a tremendous feck up for tonights gig now!)

As a rhythm section we are pretty much bang on the money all the time - which i think is how it should be (especially after 20+ years of playing). We take the band quite seriously and make sure we know our parts 110%. . . the guitarists on the other hand are pretty much guaranteed to make at least one mistake each per gig...which they ALWAYS get pulled up on, even if its something as minor as treading on one of their pedals half a bar too early! haha...they love it! But at the end of the day we run a tight ship to maintain the quality of the band as a whole.

Having said that, 99% of the audience wouldn't notice the odd mistake in an otherwise well played set, especially if you don't grimace and draw attention to the fact that you've just made a boo boo!

peace

c

Yeah, I agree the audience usually doesn't notice. This thread is great, I make mistakes myself but rarely pick them up in other players even if I'm listening. I went to see Rich play one time with the Soul Destroyers and I thought he did a perfect gig. Then he comes off stage afterwards and said it was crap and he made some mistakes. Just goes to show. :)

If we can get the monitoring as close to rehearsals as possible it can be the difference between a good gig and a crap one.

I did a gig last night at The Hill in Muswell Hill and the acoustics were the worst I've ever encountered at a venue. The room was virtually an echo chamber with all hard surfaces and very sparse inside apart from low leather sofas down the sides. The room also had a massive peak at Ab/G# (whatever that is, 415Hz?).

If the acoustics weren't enough, the guitarist (who we never played with before) turned up louder than sound check with the result that all of the mids from his amp were bouncing around the venue and drowning out the keyboards who I was standing next to. If he had been playing using clean settings then I could have at least used him for reference but it was all a load of distorted sonic mush from my side of the stage and I lost my vocals cue into the last choruses for one of the songs that we'd played loads of times perfectly in rehearsal.

However the gig went better than the sound check where we never actually made it through a song let alone made it through without a mistake. I'm so glad I didn't invite anyone to see it.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='40774' date='Aug 3 2007, 09:13 AM']I deliberately put mistakes in so people don't mistake me for a backing tape :)[/quote]

Similarly I tell my guitarists that I put in deliberate mistakes so they don't look so stupid :huh:

Some of our stuff is improvised so when I miss a change to another section and the guitarist and drummer complain to me afterwards I tell them it was their fault for not looking up and following my cues. They don't normally buy that.

I think if you make the odd mistake that's fine - even a big one - but if you keep making the same mistake over and over it means you're not doing your homework properly, which is quite direspectful to your bandmates.

[quote name='wazz' post='40783' date='Aug 3 2007, 09:34 AM']And where can I get such lifesaving specs?

Of course its worse when said totty is the bride :)

then again, it could be the brides mother.[/quote]

We got ours custom made by Foster Grant ... Our wives organised it :huh:
Here's a gig I did recently ... 110 students ... 15 of them were guys ...

Oh and if you ever wondered why it's not such a good idea to watch your laces or frets whilst you play ....

Edited by OldGit