Why become a member? ×

Opinions on this please.

kjb

Does this look any good, what should I look for if I go and look at it.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290144309908&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=019[/url]

All of your opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Ooops...

Didn't read the advert properly.

Stentor is one make, Andreas Zeller is a different make. Which is it?

Doesn't look like my Stentor! The one in the ad has a flat back. Thus could be a Zeller. Zeller's are generally regarded as less desirable than the Stentors.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for any confusion.

[quote name='kjb' post='41012' date='Aug 3 2007, 06:41 PM']It says made by Andreas Zeller for Stntor music.

What's the difference between flat and curved back instruments.

Also what sort of price would you expect to pay for this.

Cheers.[/quote]
As far as I know this is mainy an aesthetic thing. I've seen high end and low end examples of each.

edit- Looks like what would be sold as a Zeller rather thsan a Stentor. If its fully carved, £1000 new and about £700-800 second hand wouldn't be out the question. Laminate, not so sure but probably £800 new and £500 second hand.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

Guest Jecklin

If it is a carved and you can live with the horrible honey colour plastic varnish it will be an excellent starter bass, maybe even all you'd ever need.

If you could get it for under £500 you would have a very, very good deal indeed.

If its a laminate (I'd like a photo of the inside edge of the f holes to be certain) put a bid on, but don't go mad.

In terms of flat backs and curved backs it really isn't a deal breaker.

generally flat backs have a sound that projects with more foucs, where swelled backs have a more diffuse sound, that seems fuller at close range.
There are examples of each type of bass where the opposite is true though so it isn't worth worrying about.

One is NOT better than the other.

There is some idea that a swelled back resists seasonal changes better and are less proone to cracks. I've never heard a sensible explanation of why though and in our temperate climate it isn't a massive factor at all.

Happy bidding!

Thomas

Zellers are usually very sturdy instruments - I've never seen any of the basses, but I have pupils who have had the cellos. The only problem I've encountered is that the front panels are not of uniform thickness & have too much wood in the middle, therefore dulling the sound & making the instrument very quiet. If you go and look at it, have a look through the f-holes & make sure that there isn't a huge slab of wood in there. If it plays nicely & seems loud enough for you, go for it :)