Why become a member? ×

Amp with built in tuner

Sharkfinger

It seems incredible to me that amp manufacturers don't build tuners right into their amps. It seems like such an obvious thing to do. Now, I hear that one manufacturer does, I think they're called something like IA amps or something. Does anyone know of any others?

ATM, I'm wasting 1U rack space just for the conveniene of not having to mess around with leads.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='40799' date='Aug 3 2007, 10:12 AM']think there are a few combos that have them
don't ampeg make a combo with a built in tuner?[/quote]

Sure do. The BA range have inbuilt tuners.

I used to be on the lookout for such a thing, but since I started using a cheapo planet waves SOS strobe tuner, I no longer use my korg tuner, behringer pedal tuner, the one built into my GT-6B or the one that clips onto the headstock.

If my amp did have a tuner built in I wouldn't it. I find the SOS to be the quickest & easiest to use of all I have owned or tried.

I have managed to loose it a few times though. :)(

Its also handy to have when trying out basses in shops.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='40823' date='Aug 3 2007, 11:02 AM']I used to be on the lookout for such a thing, but since I started using a cheapo planet waves SOS strobe tuner, I no longer use my korg tuner, behringer pedal tuner, the one built into my GT-6B or the one that clips onto the headstock.

If my amp did have a tuner built in I wouldn't it. I find the SOS to be the quickest & easiest to use of all I have owned or tried.

I have managed to loose it a few times though. :)(

Its also handy to have when trying out basses in shops.[/quote]

I'd lose those like there's no tomorrow. Good idea, though.

The EA iAMP 800 had a tuner in it, as did it's predecessor the iAMP 600 - They stopped making it as the tuner supplier (Sabine) stopped making the parts they needed to fit it into the amp!

I'm quite lucky - I managed to get one of the 800's with the tuner - they pop up every so often, and they have the added benefit of being Fricking Amazing amps. Keep an eye open for them.

Cheers,

Rich

the line 6 combos do, but they are a bit pants to be honest, and along with all the other stuff crammed in there for the price i didnt trust it. better to get a seperate one, not that expensive.
in the end its just another thing to go worng in an amp.
i got a cheap one for abotu 15 quid, does the job and if it brakes my amp is still ok.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='41201' date='Aug 4 2007, 10:00 AM']Just get a floor tuner - its the easy way.[/quote]

I have one and if it was only my stuff that I had to set up and pack away, it would be fine. Unfortunately, in the covers band I play in, 3 of us set up and break down a full PA system every gig (minus help from lazy g**tarist, naturally).

I just want something I can plug and play without sodding about with cables.

You can't beat a good, visible, accurate tuner.

I'd rather not be "tied" to the front panel of my amp to tune, leaving me 2 solutions;

i) A pedal (the Boss TU2s are good)

ii) A rackmount with a BIG display. I bought a Korg DTR1000Ltd. It's excellent. Fast & accurate. It lives with a pre / power in a 4u case.

What amp / combo manufacturers ought to do is build in a 1u space in the MDF carcass of their models. Then the end-user can fit whatever they want.

Adds to the weight, though.
Such is the price of flexibility...

hey, any of you guys tried a behringer rack tuner? i'm tempted by it's cheapo price, can't afford a proper korg one, just can't justify it... so... any experiences?

cheers,

tom

ps - i know about their underhand tactics and cheeky ways, but this is something i WOULDN'T buy from another company, purely because of the price. pps - hey rich, how you gettin on with the emg pup?

[quote name='TheRinser' post='43145' date='Aug 9 2007, 03:28 AM']hey, any of you guys tried a behringer rack tuner? i'm tempted by it's cheapo price, can't afford a proper korg one, just can't justify it... so... any experiences?

cheers,

tom

ps - i know about their underhand tactics and cheeky ways, but this is something i WOULDN'T buy from another company, purely because of the price. pps - hey rich, how you gettin on with the emg pup?[/quote]
I've heard that they have tracking issues when used with 5 string basses on the low notes. Hearing that put me off buying one of these bargains.

[quote name='TheRinser' post='43145' date='Aug 9 2007, 03:28 AM']hey, any of you guys tried a behringer rack tuner? i'm tempted by it's cheapo price, can't afford a proper korg one, just can't justify it... so... any experiences?[/quote]

I have NEVER seen such spectacularly bad reviews and personal experiences:

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Behringer/BTR2000/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...er/BTR2000/10/1[/url]

I'm sure you can get a used Korg for similar money if you're patient.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='43540' date='Aug 9 2007, 11:10 PM']I have NEVER seen such spectacularly bad reviews and personal experiences:

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Behringer/BTR2000/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...er/BTR2000/10/1[/url]

I'm sure you can get a used Korg for similar money if you're patient.

Alex[/quote]

wow, nearly bought one of these the other day, glad i didn't.