Why become a member? ×

Tuning BEGC

Grant Toupe

For the last year or so I've been giving my six string (Pedulla MVP6) a break and tuning my four string (Pedulla Series II) BEGC - two low, two high. It was just an experiment at first but found it really suited my style of writing songs as well. It's a six string with the two middle strings missing basically - makes for some wonderfully easy chords as well as giving you a different range to write with

Anyone else tried it or and other strange tunings?

Samples of my stuff on [url="http://www.myspace.com/toupe"]http://www.myspace.com/toupe[/url] if you're interested in hearing it.

I'll have to try that - sounds wonderfully bizarre. At the moment, my tunings are quite reserved. Apart from standard, I mainly dabble with the B string on my six string - CEADGC and AEADGC but have written solo pieces in CEACGC and AEACGA. Have tried GCGDAD but didn't really come up with anything that exciting.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='41254' date='Aug 4 2007, 01:23 PM']I'll have to try that - sounds wonderfully bizarre. At the moment, my tunings are quite reserved. Apart from standard, I mainly dabble with the B string on my six string - CEADGC and AEADGC but have written solo pieces in CEACGC and AEACGA. Have tried GCGDAD but didn't really come up with anything that exciting.

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

Wow - not sure my head would get around those tunings fast enough for onstage - tend to improvise quite a lot and combined with singing i try to make life easy on myself with comfy tunings. The BEGC thing works because i'm used to a BEADGC six string.

Will have to try some of those out though - just for a giggle at least. Can't be doing with retuning on stage...that's one of my pet peeves in a band situation.

[quote name='Alun' post='41254' date='Aug 4 2007, 01:23 PM']I'll have to try that - sounds wonderfully bizarre. At the moment, my tunings are quite reserved. Apart from standard, I mainly dabble with the B string on my six string - CEADGC and AEADGC but have written solo pieces in CEACGC and AEACGA. Have tried GCGDAD but didn't really come up with anything that exciting.

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

It was.....

Harmonically very weird,quite droney if I recall (if that isnt a word it is now)