Why become a member? ×

Herbie Flowers' 1959 Jazz Bass

Mr Bassman

I've been fortunate to play his bass myself.

For the shot I was a bit naughty and carefully supported the bass by the massive 110-50 flatwounds he had on it, at the bridge and against my body. But the bass was light and Herbie didn't seem to mind :) Funny thing was that when I asked Herbie whether it really was a pre-production prototype, he wasn't so sure! It was a bit funky though - years of grime had built up around the pole pieces and pots.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='41382' date='Aug 4 2007, 07:26 PM']I've been fortunate to play his bass myself.

For the shot I was a bit naughty and carefully supported the bass by the massive 110-50 flatwounds he had on it, at the bridge and against my body. But the bass was light and Herbie didn't seem to mind :) Funny thing was that when I asked Herbie whether it really was a pre-production prototype, he wasn't so sure! It was a bit funky though - years of grime had built up around the pole pieces and pots.[/quote]

Did you ask him what that switch was for, or were already clued up on that.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='41397' date='Aug 4 2007, 09:04 PM']Did you ask him what that switch was for, or were already clued up on that.[/quote]
I didn't ask him but it might have been for a factory installed fuzz unit that he had removed.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='41430' date='Aug 4 2007, 10:35 PM']But how did it play?
All questions of value aside, was it any better than an off-the-shelf relic jazz?[/quote]
It was very light weight, the action was fairly high and the neck was under a lot of tension due to the heavy gauge flats on it. I was getting a sound out of it that might have been more appropriate on a Bread or Glen Campbell recording.

Although it felt light and resonant, it lacked the oomph of a heavier 70's jazz. I think with round wounds on it, it might have been a slightly different sounding beast - potentially quite growly like Jaco's basses I guess, or like some lighter MTD's or Foderas.

I would have preferred more weight in the sound myself however there was no escaping that it was the bass equivalent of a classic racing Ferrari - fragile, idiosyncratic but loaded with history nevertheless. In terms of what kind of sound you get, you could probably get as good a passive bass if not better sounding (for modern music) from a number of modern makers.

When you start to think of all the things that have been recorded with it... this is the bass that did "Space Oddity", and "War Of The Worlds", and the electric part on "Walk On The Wild Side"... it's a piece of history

[quote name='dlloyd' post='41444' date='Aug 4 2007, 11:18 PM']Cheers. :)

That's about as desirable a bass as I've seen, but I can't help but think I'd be disappointed if I got my hands on it.[/quote]

I know some people like that lightweight sound but it didn't sound warm to me. I guess I found that a little surprising but there again I am used to playing warm sounding basses in my own collection so its all relative probably.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='41483' date='Aug 5 2007, 08:50 AM']To me it shows you dont necasarily need the latest gizmo louded gadget to create unbelieveable music......

If I could play it and 1% of Herbies abilty rubbed off onto me, I would be a 100% better bass player for it......

Herbie rocks.....! (knackered old bass or not!)[/quote]

Absolutley right!

He's wicked...

He came into work not long ago.

Go to www.showmehowtoplay.com and watch him playin "straight no chaser". Hes on a Live session thing at the bottom of the page.
(Me on drums btw)

His bass played nicely - he had tape strings on. It's the only bass hes ever owned. It's a fuzz switch on the bass but he said it was a bit sh*te. Mr Fender's signature on there though - can't be bad.

N

[quote name='Nate' post='41514' date='Aug 5 2007, 11:02 AM']He came into work not long ago.

Go to www.showmehowtoplay.com and watch him playin "straight no chaser". Hes on a Live session thing at the bottom of the page.
(Me on drums btw)

His bass played nicely - he had tape strings on. It's the only bass hes ever owned. It's a fuzz switch on the bass but he said it was a bit sh*te. Mr Fender's signature on there though - can't be bad.[/quote]
Were the pots still loose when you played it?

Nice drum playing BTW!

[quote name='Nate' post='41514' date='Aug 5 2007, 12:02 PM']Go to www.showmehowtoplay.com and watch him playin "straight no chaser". Hes on a Live session thing at the bottom of the page.
(Me on drums btw)[/quote]

Hey, that´s some fine drumming there. Very tasty.

The trumpet player´s not half bad either - steered clear of clichés with some very original lines. What´s his name BTW?

Makes me want to pick up my horn again (and my sticks as well).

He plays this bass on the War Of The Worlds Live DVD if you want to see it in action, sounds awesome!!
He really gets the exact sound from the original recording!

Si

Edited by Sibob

• 2 weeks later...