Why become a member? ×

Fender urge Mk 1

Count Bassy

Evening all,

I'm looking to buy a Fender urge Mk1 (with the 32" scale), USA built, so with the 3 pickups, and the higher hardware spec than the Mexican urge (which I have one of already).

The problem is, with them being relatively rare, its hard to get an idea of what would be a fair price. Of course it all depends on condition etc, and how badly I want it,
but if I was after a Precision or a Jazz I could look on E-bay and see what they went for, but this is not easy with a rarer model.

A week or so ago there was one on with a £650 starting price, and it didn't attract any bids, which I suppose means that £650 is a bit much, or that no-one else likes them?.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Clive.

Edited by Clive Thorne

Hi Clive

I'm after one myself and was watching the eBay one as well. Wasn't willing to part with £650 for it, not sure why. Maybe because I wasn't sure I'd get on with a 32" scale and didn't want to petentially lose a lot of money in the resale.

I'd be interested in any advice too. Clive, if you find a USA one, I might take that mex off your hands. Could I have first refusal if you deceide to sell it, please? :)

Cheers,
Frank

Frank,

I've been told (by my darling wife) that if I get a USA one the Mex will have to go, so I'll get in touch if that happens.

The Mex one seems to be a fine bass, although I've not a vast experience of other basses to compare it with. I just fancy a USA one for the extra flexibilty. The one on E-bay ticked all the boxes for me, except on the price, hence my original question. I don't mind paying the going rate for one, but I've no idea what that might be.

To be honest, part of the problem buying a USA one is that my playing standard and frequency don't really justify one. If I do go for one it would be as an indulgence / late 50th birthday present from my aforementioned wife. The other problem with having too good an instrument is that when you get it out people can expect better things than you can deliver and you end up looking a bit of a twat.

I don't have a problem with the medium scale because that's all I've ever known. I have problems when trying a long scale, both in terms of the finger stretch and the arm reach (although that depends on how you wear it), and of course because the frets aren't quite where you'd expect.

Clive.

Edited by Clive Thorne

I bought mine off of eBay for $800. Shipping from the US cost $167. This was my second after foolishly selling one years ago!

They are fantastic basses. OK they're a 32" scale, but that doesn't matter, it just makes it easier to play.

The electronics are superb, really flexible.

If you do get hold of one, you won't be disappointed. If you need any more info, just send me a message...

Edited by 7string

[quote name='MB1' post='42245' date='Aug 6 2007, 11:52 PM']MB1. :huh:
Theres one in Johnny Roadhouse on oxford road in Manchester.
its been there since time began, its blue..... contact DANNY.... 0161 273 3069.[/quote]

Shame I've only just come back to this thread, as I've just hit the button on a eBay purchase of a Mex Urge. £370 including postage to UK. I'm sure it will be £400+ once the govenment have hand their pound of flesh! As I'm London based, I'm not sure it would've have worked out. With my luck, however, they probably only wanted about £20 just to get rid of it. Damn my impetuousness! :)

Edited by Sharkfinger

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='42790' date='Aug 8 2007, 10:33 AM']Shame I've only just come back to this thread, as I've just hit the button on a eBay purchase of a Mex Urge. £370 including postage to UK. I'm sure it will be £400+ once the govenment have hand their pound of flesh! As I'm London based, I'm not sure it would've have worked out. With my luck, however, they probably only wanted about £20 just to get rid of it. Damn my impetuousness! :)[/quote]

Shark,

I presume you've now got this one. How's it going, how are you getting on with the 32" scale?

Clive.