Why become a member? ×

MUSIC STANDS

MuddBass

I don't think less of a musician who has to read the headsheet, but I do think less if they're juggling through a folder of music in between each song; that looks more than a little un-professional, and breaks the songs up too much.

Personally I memorise the songs I play, but then my memory is pretty good, I'm sure not everyone can do it. And even then there are some songs that just will not stick; no matter how many times I practice For Once In My Life, the difference between the first and second verses always eludes me mid-gig.

Never had to use one at all. I have a "thing" about muso's who can't play a note if the music is taken away from them. I've known keyboard players who, even though they have played the same songs for years, can't play them if the music is not there. ( rant over ) :)

Playing with a bigband where the whole band is reading means we all use music stands - they're actually part of our set up, with logo on etc so they cool and are obviously functional...

There are a few charts they we play qite regularly that I don't really read anymore, but we have over 250 charts in the pad, that's alot of tunes to learn :)

When the music is in front of you there's no real need to memorise it anyway - but if the gig your doing requires a no dot approach then you should learn the tunes, I always find that the best way to do that is never to have the dots in the first place, that way you have to learn it without the aid of a safety net :huh:

I attribute good memory to bad sight reading :)

Once I've learned a song on piano I don't forget it. It's taken so long; playing, then once making a mistake starting over. Or once you've correctly done as much as you can, you learn the next couple of bars.

This extensive level of repetition conveniently encodes the information into the long-term memory.

If it's a simple Motown or rock set, I'd just remember chord sequence, key riffs and improvise the fills for a personal touch.

I actually find it difficult to play while reading my notes so I only use them for learning the song. Once I have it burnt into my memory I can concentrate on "performing" the song.

Most of the rest of my band do use stands with lyrics and chord charts on them, but I don't hold that against them. It is ironic that I am the least likely to make a mistake though :)