Why become a member? ×

Anyone play an 8-stringer?

OutToPlayJazz

Does anyone around here play 8-string, or have any recordings of 8-string players? The octaved sound fascinates me & I've been pondering on and off about the ESP Ltd one for the last year, but now I've seen the AcePro one for less than £200, I'm sorely tempted to try one.

Note to self... Must stop looking at/purchasing basses!!!

John Entwistle used an 8 string bass on occasion, two songs which I can remember offhand are -

You (off Faces Dances)

Trick Of The Light (off Who Are You)

I *think* he used one for the intro of 'Success Story' too, but I'm not sure about this. Great sound anyway :)

Hope this helps!

Danny

I had a Warwick Streamer 8 for about a year, previously owned by the bassist of KRAAN, sold it on as it was just too... unusual. Cheap Trick bassist Tom Petersson used an 8 string a bit on early recordings even though many thought it was always a 12 string (which obviously he did use as well). Lovely overtones from an 8 (or 12) but they are very band/song specific.

I have 2 8-strings:

A Carlo Robelli

and a Washburn B20-8 which is currently in pieces being restored/repaired/refinished/upgraded

Both suffer to a certain extent from neck-dive. The CR because it has a small body and a large and heavy headstock, and the Washburn due to it's body shape.

I believe that there's company producing strap-button extenders? which may go some way to sorting out the CR problems but I can't find their details. Anyone know where I should look.

The basses get used for some of my more Peter Hook-inspired bass lines. The octave stings allow me to play melody lines/riffs and still provide a decent low end at the same time.

The Carlo Robelli was around £100 off ebay. Apart from the fact that the strings are starting to sound a bit old now (8-strings IMO need that new string zing) it was as new.

Looking at reviews on Harmony Central it looks as though it's the in-store brand for Sam Ash. This model seems to be discontinued now and the last ones were being sold off at $199.

The electronics are a bit weedy sounding for an active, so I'll investigate doing an upgrade ofthe pre-amp (and maybe the pup) after I've got the Washburn B20-8 rebuilt.

[quote name='brycebites' post='42310' date='Aug 7 2007, 08:57 AM']I've had a fiddle on the Dean 8 and 12 string basses. Great things with quite a unique sound and not to difficult to play. No one's mentioned Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam) playing his 8-string. The track Jeremy from their firs album Ten is a classic track to hear the bass.[/quote]

Wasn't the intro to 'Jeremy' played on his 12 string Hamer?

[quote name='TheRev' post='42387' date='Aug 7 2007, 11:28 AM']Wasn't the intro to 'Jeremy' played on his 12 string Hamer?[/quote]

The whole song was on the 12-er. I think "Why Go" off the same album was 8-string tho. "Leash" from Vs was on his 12 string too, lovely tone!

I've played a Gelveston 12-er in the States a few years back, it was awful. Also played a Dean 8er and loved it, I'd love to get one for a giggle but can't see me using it much live in my current bands.

[quote name='brycebites' post='42484' date='Aug 7 2007, 02:47 PM'](where's that embaressed smiley?)

Of course it was the 12 string. Why Go was the one I was thinking of with the 8! I'm going to have to listen to Leash again as I've not noticed the 12 on that before.[/quote]
Right at the beginning. I always thought it was distorted geetar, but it ain't....

[quote name='RichBowman' post='42891' date='Aug 8 2007, 01:57 PM']Jeff Ament was (and still is) my hero. The only time I've played an 8 -stringer, I obviously had to play Jeremy!

Rich[/quote]

Mine too - it was because of 'Ten' that I started playing fretless bass. AND he wears hats.

He's a legend.

I'm intrigued - does anyone know if you can get a 10-stringer (as in low :)? I'd love to have a go at that.

Ooooh - and while I'm here, has anyone tried playing a 8 or what not finger style? I'm guessing that you might have to reverse the courses of the strings (eg, thick string on top, octave below)?

Rich

Edited by RichBowman

[quote name='RichBowman' post='42914' date='Aug 8 2007, 03:09 PM']I'm intrigued - does anyone know if you can get a 10-stringer (as in low :)? I'd love to have a go at that.

Ooooh - and while I'm here, has anyone tried playing a 8 or what not finger style? I'm guessing that you might have to reverse the courses of the strings (eg, thick string on top, octave below)?

Rich[/quote]

Point 1: [url="http://www.deanguitars.com/edge_hammer_10.htm"]Dean Edge Hammer 10[/url]

Point 2: [url="http://www.waterstoneguitars.com/video/vmain_008.html"] 12 string (4x3) finger-style[/url]

[quote name='BigRedX' post='42942' date='Aug 8 2007, 04:14 PM']Point 1: [url="http://www.deanguitars.com/edge_hammer_10.htm"]Dean Edge Hammer 10[/url]

Point 2: [url="http://www.waterstoneguitars.com/video/vmain_008.html"] 12 string (4x3) finger-style[/url][/quote]

Ahhh - Cheers for that - sounds HUGE! Who needs guitarists.....?

And thanks for the link to the 5x2 'er - Looks promising. Am keen to try it out..

Cheers again,

Rich

I believe Gypsymoth on this forum also has an 8. I am tempted I must be honest - I tried a Dean 12 (fingerstyle) and it was a bit much for me but an 8 might be fun. And yes, I did play Jeremy and other Ament lines on the Dean-it seemed rude not to!

Cheers,
Alun

I played a Kramer 8 string with Aluminium neck a few years ago and loved the feel and sound of it; I believe I played Jeremy on it as well; rude not too really. Pretty tempted to go for an ESP 8-string, I see Thomann are selling them for £320 at the mo.

My old Ibanez Musician 8-string was quite good in respect to it was passive/active - you could take the battery out and use the toggle switch like you would on a Les Paul a la Pete Townsend! Other players that I'm aware of that have used 8-strings in the past are the mighty Dug Pinnick of Kings X, Monty Colvin of Galactic Cowboys, Chris Squire and John Paul Jones.

I've got 2

1985 USA B.C.Rich Bich 8 string Supreme (Far left)
1979 USA B.C.Rich Bich 8 string (on the right)

Why do you think they only have 4 strings on them?-because the 8 string sound is novel only for the first few days and then sounds crap-also the strings are bloody expensive-you'd get the same result with a good Octave pedal such as a Boss unit

I also sold a 1960's Hagstrom 8 string last year :)