Why become a member? ×

Power supply issue for DBX MC 6 Compressor

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

Just bought a DBX MC 6 compressor via an Ebay seller in the states. The MC 6 is based on the DBX 160 (apparently) and though it's not well known, it's highly rated compressor that has rave reviews for Bass on Harmony Central.

Anyway, it's arrived all in one piece which is great but the PSA which has two thin pieces of metal on it instead of our three piece plug design, is intended to work off USA power supply of 120volts and it converts that into 9.75v and 820mA (think that's right??).

At first I thought a simple adaptor that you use on holiday would do the trick but after coming to my senses, I think that would not work and would probably blow the unit..

Has anyone here had experience of this kind of issue before and have any good advice, suggestions etc for solving the problem?

Thanks,

Nik

Well you're right about not being able to use an adaptor. The PSA is designed for US voltage and would probably get damaged if plugged into our higher UK voltage.

What you need is a UK dc adaptor capable of putting out 9.75 Volts @ 820 mAmps (I presume this is written on the adaptor).

9.75 Volts might be a problem, in that off-the-shelf adaptors usually put out 9 Volts. However, it's possible that 9 Volts would be enough to make it work. I suggest you contact DBX and explain the problem, asking if you can use a 9 Volt adaptor or if they can supply a UK adaptor for this unit.

Failing that, it is possible to get adaptors with variable dc outputs (using a rotary control for setting the voltage). You'd need a voltmeter to measure the output voltage. With any dc adaptor make sure the current capacity is 820 mAmps or greater at the required voltage.

I'm probably just confirming what you already know - sorry I can't actually suggest a source for a dc adaptor.

[quote name='BOD2' post='42360' date='Aug 7 2007, 10:44 AM']Well you're right about not being able to use an adaptor. The PSA is designed for US voltage and would probably get damaged if plugged into our higher UK voltage.

What you need is a UK dc adaptor capable of putting out 9.75 Volts @ 820 mAmps (I presume this is written on the adaptor).

9.75 Volts might be a problem, in that off-the-shelf adaptors usually put out 9 Volts. However, it's possible that 9 Volts would be enough to make it work. I suggest you contact DBX and explain the problem, asking if you can use a 9 Volt adaptor or if they can supply a UK adaptor for this unit.

Failing that, it is possible to get adaptors with variable dc outputs (using a rotary control for setting the voltage). You'd need a voltmeter to measure the output voltage. With any dc adaptor make sure the current capacity is 820 mAmps or greater at the required voltage.

I'm probably just confirming what you already know - sorry I can't actually suggest a source for a dc adaptor.[/quote]

Thanks BOD2 - very helpful.. I'll contact DBX Customer Services first and go from there,

Thanks

Nik

[quote name='BOD2' post='42360' date='Aug 7 2007, 10:44 AM']Well you're right about not being able to use an adaptor. The PSA is designed for US voltage and would probably get damaged if plugged into our higher UK voltage.

I'm probably just confirming what you already know - sorry I can't actually suggest a source for a dc adaptor.[/quote]
Had to email Dbx in the end and they put me in touch with their distributor (Digitech) and so I ordered it and it'll arrive Friday, which is great. Not so great was the price - £29.99!!!

Nik