Why become a member? ×

removing a knackered screw

Morning folks
I am selling off a bit of mine and my guitarist's gear at the minute and have just sold his dreaful Jedson tele copy. He's left handed so converted it to left hand drive, I've put it back together for normal people :) but need to take the strap button out of the bottom horn and put it back onto the top horn. The only problem is somebody has damaged the screwhead and I can't get a screwdriver onto it to take it out.

I am not endowed with tools or skills so if you have any suggestions. I'd chuck the thing on the fire personally, but unfortunately I have committed to selling it for him so I can buy him some proper left handed guitars

Do you have a drill?

If you do if you carefully drill into the hole that the screw head now has in it and the drill is as large or larger than the shank of the screw, as soon as the drill bit gets to the shank the rest of the head will fall off. Grab whats left of the shankl with a pair of pliers and twist it out......

Enjoy....

[quote name='The Burpster' post='42374' date='Aug 7 2007, 11:09 AM']Do you have a drill?

If you do if you carefully drill into the hole that the screw head now has in it and the drill is as large or larger than the shank of the screw, as soon as the drill bit gets to the shank the rest of the head will fall off. Grab whats left of the shankl with a pair of pliers and twist it out......

Enjoy....[/quote]

cheers for that. I shall have a bash and hopefully, not knacker it up!!!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='42598' date='Aug 7 2007, 07:23 PM']Good lad......

:huh:

Impact driver near a guitar? Woooooo hoooooo easy tiger!
:)[/quote]

Actually, my first thought was:

Hacksaw through the strap button and the screw shaft, then take it out with
pliers and fit another - but figured one tap with an impact driver might shift it.

Failing that, a shaped charge perhaps... :huh: