Why become a member? ×

Lakland Joe Osbourne.

andy.

I was in a guitar shop a few days ago and I got the chance to play a skyline version of the bass. It was really great im all ways and im thinking of buying it.

I was wondering if anyone has played the US model? I have read what the differences are but im wondering if there is anything about the US model that makes it a lot batter than the skyline version.

Has anyone got any thoughts?

[quote name='andy.' post='397088' date='Feb 1 2009, 06:33 PM']I was in a guitar shop a few days ago and I got the chance to play a skyline version of the bass. It was really great im all ways and im thinking of buying it.

I was wondering if anyone has played the US model? I have read what the differences are but im wondering if there is anything about the US model that makes it a lot batter than the skyline version.

Has anyone got any thoughts?[/quote]

I've never played a US model but for me - given the quality of the Skylines, especially now they are Plekked too - the US model would have to be a great deal better to warrant paying well over double the price. However, if you were picking up a US model second-hand, they are sometimes not far above the price of a new Skyline. Then it might be warranted, especially if it had some bonus characteristic like custom colour or pickup arrangement that appealed.

So how much do you want to spend on one bass?

I owned a US Joe Osbourne and it was one of the nicest Jazz basses I have ever owned - Funkmunky has it now so maybe drop him a PM.

I have played a few skylines (no Joe Osbornes however) and good as they were I definately felt the US model was worth paying the extra for but others may disagree.

Steve

I think you will always be up against a diminishing rate or difference if you start with something as good as a Skyline.

Are the US basses better? personally I think they are.

Are they worth twice the price? Probably not.

However, if you can afford a US one and always want the 'best' you can afford then the US model will be great. If not then a Skyline is a fabulous bass and puts many more expensive basses to shame.

I have a Skyline DJ4 which is really nice (up for sale as it happens [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=38715&st=0&gopid=397292&#entry397292"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry397292[/url] - he said with a shameless plug!) and owned a JO until quite recently. Both are/were amazing quality for the money ;)

Edited by molan

I owned a Lakland 4-94 and to me it was far, far superior to the 2 44-94's i've tried, build and feel was in a different league (IMHO)

The difference btw the USA's & Skylines is much more significant that say the Sadowsky USA's & Metro's which to me are virtually identical in every respect.

That said...... I'd be happy to own a 44-94 as at that price point they are very very good

Very, very rarely a US model Lakland seems to come up on ebay.com, of course the prices can be close to that of a new Skyline over here but with the way things are going with the £ at present as well as shipping, taxes etc it might not work out similar on price in the end.

I've only played Skylines before but they were beautiful instruments, seem a bargain resale wise as well so perhaps look for a second hand one??

I have a US Jo osbourne, and I used to have a skyline which I sold to buy the US version, and i still have a skyline Jerry scheff.

The skyline Jo I had was unusually heavy, and I read somewhere that they tightened up the QC considerably to control the weight so i think mine was unusual.

The differences are [relatively] small.

Its a jazz with fralins, and dual concentric pots, and birdseye maple fret markers, but its still a jazz. The finish is absolutely flawless, inside and out, [apart from wear].

The fret work is immaculate, and its set up beautifully, and Ive never touched anything. Its has graphite reinforcement in the neck. and it is hard to find fault in anyway.

When I bought mine second hand, and direct from the states, there was a new one on sale in the old bass centre for £2300.

Are they worth it, difficult. Do i regret paying a lot of money for a jazz bass copy? No.

But the skylines are so good, that you get nearly as much bass, for half the money.

If I had the chance all over again to buy one, would I buy a US made Jo, or would I buy a skyline jo and a skyline bob glaub................ er er dunno

Does that help? probably not but its the best I can do